Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Mandible not moving - any thoughts? Is it even possible?

gewgerg

I'm 16 y/o and have been mewing for 1 year (approx).

I've seen good cheekbone increase (noticeable to the point where people comment) but the mandible hasn't shifted 1mm.

My ramus is too short and I can't seem to get any counter-clockwise rotation of the mandible. It's obvious my mandible is swung back by the chin bone angle being not forward enough.

I've been chewing mastic daily on molars only; maybe that's causing issues.

I can keep tongue posture perfect in sleep but not teeth contact unless I sleep in a chin tuck position.

My swallow is perfect.

Neck posture is perfect too.

I'm starting to doubt weather or not it's possible to improve mandible or weather it can only get worse and downswing.

Maybe mewing can only prevent mandibular downswing and can't upswing the mandible.

Any thoughts? 

Topic starter Posted : 17/11/2019 9:44 am
Silver202

I have the exact same problem and were the same age, message me bro 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2019 3:43 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Oh wow... dang.  Your ramus is shortened because you’re intruding teeth.  Mewing can do that it seems...so...I would consult with a few orthos...age matters...and adults won’t shorten their ramus...just bend it...but during growth teens may shorten it. I would consider stopping all hard foods...get braces that extrude teeth and eat soft foods...and...no gum.  If you can get some counter-clockwise movement, that should help.  Typically, widening up top helps advance chins.  You know....I’d reach out locally to any orthodontists in your area that do ceph tracing still...and any ortho with a long ramus or longer lower face and who have a decent counter-rotation.  Sorry that I’m not more help....though I am looking at creating something to help extrude molars.

Crazy idea to advance a chin (if class 2 and sizeable overjet)...chew food in a more forward position (class 1ish).  The body should adapt.  Also...try not to chew so much in the back.  Curious...is there a gap between back teeth (aka posterior open bite??). Mewing caused a posterior open bite for me.  During growth, our jaws adapt to the situations at hand...so it seems that if there were a posterior open bite...it may have resolved itself naturally by not extending the ramus the full length.  It will be easier to tell what’s going on with a cephalometric analysis.  Dr. Mew is not transparent with risks and it is a bad thing to not share this.  I’ve complained a bit before, but hopefully with enough feedback, he’ll make some kind of disclaimer (beyond that they aren’t associated with the British Orthodontic Society).  We do care about more than your standing with the BOS(S).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2019 1:37 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

There is a way to target lengthening the Ramus...it’s basically any appliance that’s worn consistently between back molars.  These type of appliances help to advance a lower jaw as the bite is disrupted.  The problem with gum is it doesn’t keep pressure on the ramus.  If you see buckling of gum tissue around molars, that’s one tell-tell sign of  intrusion.  Anyway, try not to stress...this can all be adjusted.  Work with some local orthos on free consults.  :-). I may suggest to cluster consults in the schedule.  Orthodontists are human and try to make you look like them.  They’re usually able to the better the more years they’ve been practicing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2019 1:53 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

Message me. I'd like to see and maybe I could see the cause

Although from what I can see, I don't think chewing mastic every day has been good for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2019 12:09 pm
gewgerg

@darkindigo

do you know what the name of that appliance is?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2020 1:57 pm