Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

I'm getting braces, will it ruin me? Please help  

RSS
ShutUpAndMew

I don't know whether or not to get braces, I'm getting them in September this year but before I do I wanna know will it ruin me and is it really worth it. My first 4 lower teeth are crooked and I've got a deep bite. I'm also 14. I've heard that braces don't ruin you, and that there are people who got great results with mewing even with braces on. And then I've heard how people got super recessed and ruined by them. So what is it? Should I get them and is it worth it? 

?

Posted : 17/08/2019 6:04 am
Topic Tags
darkindigo
Reputable Member

You're not going to get recessed by braces.  Over time, when an orthodontist figures out how to use different tools and techniques.  Oftentimes, they'll land on the tools and techniques that make their patients looks more like themselves on the lower half of the face.  What this means is... if they have a recessed chin, you may end up with one.  If they have a more forward chin, then you'd likely end up with that.  So...just find an orthodontist that doesn't have and angled back chin, and you should get the same.  Part of that has to do with growth, though and timing is age 10-12 ideally...though minor growth does occur especially until around age 18.  That's the biggest factor that I've personally witnessed as to results.  So...if you have a highly recessed chin, then find it can cut a couple different ways.  First... it's best to go to someone with a chin you like who can do whatever the thing is that you want.  Second, they may refer to surgery if too far off.  Thirdly, finding someone who has a chin that's more middle-ground is good.  Remember...ideally...we seek to have average faces.  The more average, the more attractive.  So...don't be worried about braces.  It will all work out well.  Just try and avoid Mewing when wearing the braces.  Remember...orthodontists are not used to Mewing and so it can throw off what they are trying to accomplish.  In fact, one guy on here got mad that his cheeks were going out and out and out with Mewing AND braces.  He wanted a thinner face that he was more accustomed to, but didn't know how to make it happen.  Listen... there are many different factors into the face of an orthodontist.  Here's where they tend to have notable differences.

- Lower jaw advancement vs. lower jaw recession   (Honestly, every single orthodontist's goal is class 1.  They don't leave patients in class 2.  However, there's skeletal and dental classes...so try not to confuse them.  I'm referring to skeletal/orthopedic (not dental/orthodontic).  This tends to effect the physical energy.  Recessed usually means more strategic and calculating...they have lower energy and may end up in dead-end jobs.  More advanced I've noticed tends to be more go-getting with things...and less strategic.  Instead, they rely on their more abundant physical energy.)

- Lower jaw angulation.  More forward or more back.  If you tilt too far forward, it looks plain weird.  It also may have negative effects to temperament.  Angulation back too far appears strange, too.   I'd try to avoid extremes one way or the other...but most don't really do extremes.  You'll usually notice this if it's abnormal.

- Width of the upper teeth.  Some go by numbers...some go different ways.  Some try rapid palatal expansion...some go more for braces.  Age is a factor here.  This can honestly be a super tricky thing to get right, but braces are typically safe.  Widening tends to help advance a lower jaw.   Narrowing is not common.  Some do it still, oddly.  These are people with long faces...they like narrow, because they're transferring the width of the face into length by keeping arches narrow.  Usually something normal appearing is best!  Going to extremes may disrupt the nasal uptake of nitric oxide production.  It sound as though you have anxiety.  Is that right?  If so...what do your teeth look like?  Likely, braces would possibly help?

- Angulation of face.  Meaning... it's really hard to explain...but how much does their face angle from the back part of their head to their nose.  If they are super angled, then this may cause them to angle their patients which can affect nasal breathing by cutting it short in the anterior region.  Just something to be aware of, but honestly...it shouldn't ever be too pronounced.

- Chin length.  Doesn't seem to really matter...possibly avoid extremes (too short/too long).

- Lips.  Some do cool lip lifts.  Not sure it matters, but it can make you appear youthful.  Just look around at their results.  I doubt they'll talk much about this stuff.  Damon usually gives a little fuller lips than traditional braces...but it can also aggravate smile asymmetries.

- Maxillary placement (more advanced vs. more recessed upper).  You'll see this difference in nasolabial angle primarily.  Your classic witch face profile has a recessed upper jaw and more forward chin.  There appears to some kind of correlation with the perimeter of the upper teeth that are visible and body weight.  Not sure if it's cause of effect.  This may have to do more with fat tongues than anything.  However, it's more common to be skinnier with a recessed upper jaw.  For women, a more forward maxillary placement is typically associated with beauty.  Top female models don't have recessed upper jaws.  Also, keep in mind that there's a tug of war with upper lips and bigger eyes.  Skeletally moving all this stuff forward can make the eyes appear sunken.  This is not bad if you have buggy eyes to begin.  It's all super individualistic.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2019 1:57 am
ShutUpAndMew

@darkindigo

damn, thanks for taking so much time and effort into your reply, and thanks for the info

?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2019 7:05 am
ShutUpAndMew

@darkindigo

So TLDR I wanna look for a facialy good looking orthodontist, and not mew while wearing braces. I've heard that if you're getting braces that you should get the ones that go outwards instead of inwards and that I can mew while having specifically those kinds of braces. Is that true? Will those braces make me more forward grown and is that better than getting a lower jaw expander(since my lower teeth are crooked)? My upper jaw is really wide (50mm intermolar width) but my lower jaw isn't (around 38mm). What will the average orthodontist give me? I know it depends on the orthodontist but I don't wanna argue with the orthodontist if they want to narrow my palate down or push my teeth back.

?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2019 7:27 am
p_iet

how did you get your post to be approved? I uploaded something and im waiting for it to be approved

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2019 8:14 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

@shutupandmew

DMing you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2019 12:48 am
ShutUpAndMew

@p_iet

Idk lol

?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2019 3:37 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Please Login or Register