Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

England orthodontists who use these appliances?  

RSS
elledron

Hello, I have two teens who want braces. I so wish I'd researched palate expanders before. I knew of the process of massaging their palates and tried to get them better nutrition, thinking their jaws would grow naturally. They just wouldn't comply. Sigh. Anyway, we've moved from the US to England, and I am having a heck of a time finding ANY holistic orthodontists up here, or anywhere nearby, who talk about using any of the many appliances recommended on this and other sites. Does anyone here have any recommended places we could go? My younger child (14) has a lot of teeth crowding and the NHS orthodontist wants to extract four teeth. It just doesn't seem smart. But when I inquired about palate expanding, he was adamantly against it, saying it doesn't work, and the jaw just goes back. Perhaps we need to have another conversation, but he obviously isn't interested in avoiding reducing the oral volume.

Or, would we do the process longdistance? I'm wary of that, but should I not be? I'm not brave or knowledgeable enough to do much DIY (or could we learn? fascinating, to be able to take an impression and order one's own Schwartz appliance, etc).  I've been researching for many many hours and days, but there's still much information to get through. 

And so, any tips or leads on where to go for expert treatment in the (north of) England, and/or advice on longdistance/DIY approaches would be most, most welcome. Thank you.

Posted : 22/01/2021 6:12 am
eternally12
Eminent Member
Posted by: @elledron

Hello, I have two teens who want braces. I so wish I'd researched palate expanders before. I knew of the process of massaging their palates and tried to get them better nutrition, thinking their jaws would grow naturally. They just wouldn't comply. Sigh. Anyway, we've moved from the US to England, and I am having a heck of a time finding ANY holistic orthodontists up here, or anywhere nearby, who talk about using any of the many appliances recommended on this and other sites. Does anyone here have any recommended places we could go? My younger child (14) has a lot of teeth crowding and the NHS orthodontist wants to extract four teeth. It just doesn't seem smart. But when I inquired about palate expanding, he was adamantly against it, saying it doesn't work, and the jaw just goes back. Perhaps we need to have another conversation, but he obviously isn't interested in avoiding reducing the oral volume.

Or, would we do the process longdistance? I'm wary of that, but should I not be? I'm not brave or knowledgeable enough to do much DIY (or could we learn? fascinating, to be able to take an impression and order one's own Schwartz appliance, etc).  I've been researching for many many hours and days, but there's still much information to get through. 

And so, any tips or leads on where to go for expert treatment in the (north of) England, and/or advice on longdistance/DIY approaches would be most, most welcome. Thank you.

If you live in southern England you could try the son of the OG himself - Mike Mew?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2021 8:18 am
elledron

Thank you, eternally12, for your good idea!

We are two counties below Scotland, as my husband likes to say, so a bit far from the south, sadly.

I have found two possibilities, each an hour from us, so we have some leads, thank you! Neither is on the NHS, but I don’t want to have my child’s teeth pulled just bc it would be free, egads.

I wonder if I could try convincing the NHS fellow we went to - is there data I could arm myself with to have a conversation with him, that anyone here could point me towards? 

thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2021 5:10 am
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

Palate expansion at 14 should be very possible, although that age has has been classically been the age limit for a non-surgical expansion. Nowadays many orthodontists and surgeons have other opinion on that.

Good luck in your search! Even if it takes a bit of time to find a good professional or if they need surgery it is worth to avoid extractions

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2021 12:59 pm
eternally12
Eminent Member

@elledron

Like Sergio-OMS said you may still find orthodontists who are open to the idea of non-extraction still at 14 years old, so it's worth booking a consultation with a few near you if you can get it free on the NHS.

I used to live in Manchester and did a consultation with Dr Adrian Bennett in Oldham if you're happy to journey down there. Two counties from Scotland would imply to me you probably live in Durham county or nearby so it still might be a drive. His father Andrew Lane also works there but mostly does general dentistry now, however they both came across to me as open-minded and aim to give patients broad arch forms. I believe Adrian mostly uses the Damon brace system which reduces the need for extractions. I didn't end up going with them but that's because I wanted something a little different to what they offered to help with my sleep apnea. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2021 3:36 am
elledron

@sergio-oms Thank you for the vote of confidence. I get tired of fighting upstream, sometimes, with very few alternatively minded folk in my family or otherwise nearby, so this was a nice boost.

thank you, eternally12, for the recommendation!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2021 12:10 pm
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

@sergio-oms Thank you for the vote of confidence. I get tired of fighting upstream, sometimes, with very few alternatively minded folk in my family or otherwise nearby, so this was a nice boost.

it is not about being alternatively mind. Extractions aren’t good and maybe over expansion techniques (Damon braces) are not possible in their case.

Maybe your children need some short of surgery to avoid extractions and many orthodontist use that as an excuse to do extractions (“but you don’t want your kids to get their jaws broken and general anaesthesia, right? That is risky while we can pull out some teeth and that’s ok”) or maybe NHS do not pay for their surgery, Damon braces or MSE, that’s is another possibility you need to be ready for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2021 1:35 pm