Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

can mandible grow/move at 17 years old

Silver202

im a 17 yo male and I have a recessed jaw I'm wondering if it can go back to a normal state if I correct all posture from now. how would mewing make my mandible grow forwards exactly? and can it grow ?

Topic starter Posted : 07/12/2019 5:40 pm
Goblin_slayer

Yes dude , i had braces from 17-23 and my jaw still grew alot during this time

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/12/2019 5:53 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

Likely, but it might not revert itself completely depending on how severe your recession is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/12/2019 6:21 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Depending on severity..orthos may refer to jaw surgery.  Here’s the thing...find an ortho who has a chin so far forward that it’s nuts...see if they can do something.  Better yet, cluster a bunch of free consults.

At age 10-12 is when mandibles hit their growth spurt.  Suppose that a teen has done 97% of their growing..that means 3% can be shaped.

If you’re class 2 with notable overjet, I hypothesize that chewing in a class 1 position would advance a chin a bit. No studies done.

Let us know what you decide!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2019 12:53 am
Godhelppleasw

@darkindigo

When mewing is it normal that the tip rolls back on the palate flat and the back of my toungue goes up normally? Is that right becuase when I do it my hyriod bone goes up and the skin under my neck is tight am I doing it right? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2020 1:13 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member
Posted by: @godhelppleasw

@darkindigo

When mewing is it normal that the tip rolls back on the palate flat and the back of my toungue goes up normally? Is that right becuase when I do it my hyriod bone goes up and the skin under my neck is tight am I doing it right? 

@godhelppleasw I don’t know... Mewing is not something that I believe in...but just healthy diet, sunshine, posture (as our grandparents were taught & graded on in school), exercise, breastfeeding, avoiding certain problems, etc.  The issue is that there is a root underlying cause for whatever you have experienced.  The whole entire concept of “Mewing” - as derived by John Mew was because relapse...and trying to investigate this.  You need personalized guidance.  Dr. Mew uses orthodontics, so don’t be mistaken about this!  All you do needs to be personalized.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2020 8:52 am