Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Any help anybody?

Oatmeal
Trusted Member

Hey it's me again.

I'm getting my braces off pretty soon and am 15. You got any recommendations for me?

Here are some rough figures:

Intermolar width = close to 42

Mewing indicator line = high 40s

Here's some pictures as well:

Topic starter Posted : 17/05/2019 8:21 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/05/2019 8:46 am
bundfalke
Trusted Member

You are 15. If start to correctly mew now, you'll probably have very good results in 3 years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2019 9:05 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

Analysis is appreciated thanks.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/05/2019 8:39 am
jimbobape

Mewing will ascend you 3 points or more, and I don't say this to everyone 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2019 6:12 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

@oatmeal What does your orthodontist look like side-profile?  Someone with a recessed chin will leave their patients recessed often...wheras an orthodontist with a pronounced chin is often much more likely to advance chins of their patients.  If you find someone with a crazy-far-out chin, they usually will go crazy-far-out.  This may not be considered an attractive characteristic for a female, as the Jay Leno look is more masculine.

I may also suggest getting a consult with an ortho who does CBCT.  Well, technically, it may be a good idea to get a CBCT.  However, not all have the equipment to do it.  In some states you can just go and get with or without a referral at a place.  However, orthos with it already will save you $.  You may want to check your minimum cross-sectional area behind the mandible?

Photos of teeth?

Get vitamin D level check.  To maximize chance for growth, many different things are possibilities.  Assuming it's summer where you're at, get some sun!!!  Your darker coloration indicates that you have built-in sunscreen (melatonin) so you need more sun to generate adequate D.  Probably so much it's not possible by sunshine alone.  Maybe pick up the saxaphone?  This ought to be able to help to widen the airway behind mandible.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2019 5:45 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member
Posted by: Indigenous

DONT DO CBCT : there is no evidence that it leads to a better result and there is evidence that it increases CANCER RISK!!!!!

It is true that radiation increases risk of cancer.  I even shy away from cell phone features, such as bluetooth and don't put phones next to ear, etc.  CBCT has come down so much in radiation it is about double the radiation of a panoramic, but says so much more.  The best equipment is newer.  If the equipment looks older, it likely is worth avoiding.

Quick airway behind mandible test:  Open mouth really big... bow head.  See how your feel.  If your head feels super gross/sick, your airway there is on the cusp.

I think that a proper reading of a CBCT is valuable.  It is underutilized in determining proper treatment, though.  Those who have it often don't know how to read it.  For example, the shape of the airway can tell you where you need to move stuff.  Ex... if you need to widen or move forward more.  If minimum cross sectional area (MCA) is squished like a hot dog one way but not the other, then you can try to widen out the squished way...if that makes sense!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2019 7:07 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

not much has really changed, plus these pictures are incomparable anyway

i've gotten braces out so at least i know i've been mewing properly since june 14th

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/08/2019 12:41 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member
Posted by: @oatmeal

not much has really changed, plus these pictures are incomparable anyway

i've gotten braces out so at least i know i've been mewing properly since june 14th

Looking good!  Check vitamin D levels.  Be careful about pushing up on the back part of the maxilla and the maxilla generally.  Whoever you chose for braces seems to be doing well!  It's nuts...you look so much older in such a short time.  Very handsome!  If anything...pushing down on the back part of your lower jaw may help?  Your eyes you don't want too hooded, so I'd chill with the maxilla.  It may seem like something you'd like...but when you're 90, you'll thank me!

Nice job on your results, though.  Dang - wish we could all harness growth like you kids!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2019 1:01 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

@darkindigo

how could i check vitamin d levels? i would be interested to know

also how would i push down the mandible? are you asking me to jaw jut? lol

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/08/2019 1:05 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

@oatmeal

Unfortunately, it's a blood test.  99.9% bet you have low D...especially with a darker complexion.  Instead of rickets, we have just enough vitamin D supplementation to avoid rickets and to get facial under-development.  This disproportionately affects those indoors (no UVB through glass) and those with darker complexion.  Yes - true.

Facepulling is dangerous... Just push back on the lower jaw only (not by pushing up the upper jaw in the back)... kind of manipulate the ramus bone to be longer.  Maybe grab 2 fingers on each side of back molars and kind of push down a bit?  Not sure the best way TBH.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2019 2:18 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

Hi. I'm a little confused with something.

I've been having trouble on how to actually measure results or not. From looking at myself, I don't think I have any (and thats okay) but I want to know how to tell if I do eventually. 

Any advice on how to this? Especially pictures.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/11/2019 10:07 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

Mewing indicator line is around mid 40s now, like 44-45, but i may have measured it wrong before

I don't see any changes in facial structure though, meh.

Thanks for reading.

edit: My gonial angle seems to be between 130-120 degrees? Correct me on this.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/11/2019 10:44 am