Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

16 Year Old Girl - How to get a more feminine face?  

RSS
HumanityStrongTogether

Hello, this is my first post on this website.

I am a 16 year old girl, I found out about mewing when I was 15 but never did it. I have retainers after having braces for 6.5 years, since the age of 9. I have a defined jawline, protruding chin and a somewhat forward maxilla, and have never mouth breathed. However, I have a very long thin yet broad face, very long midface and philtrum, flat cheekbones, hollow under eyes, and some hollowness above my eyes as well. My face is very asymmetrical. My face is just generally not well developed and it looks extremely masculine. I actually look like a transgender man taking testosterone (I hope that is not offensive..).

Having retainers, I am not sure what I can do to make my face more feminine and more beautiful.. I stopped wearing retainers for a couple of months while trying to mew, and my teeth relapsed so much, my orthodontist was so angry at me. She said that if I do not wear them every day for at least 22 hours, I will have to go back to braces, because two of my spaces opened up again. 

I have so much trouble mewing as well, it is so incredibly uncomfortable and almost painful for me to do despite never being a mouth breather or having a tongue tie. I cannot breath at all, which is bad for me as I already have anemia and need lots of oxygen. I am also worried that if I do mew, my face will become too developed, and give me an Angelina Jolie type of look, or a high fashion model look, which would make me look much worse due to my masculine facial features. i know that it is something everyone should be doing for their health, but I still have this fear. I have a hormonal imbalance, I read once that the development of your bone structure is controlled by hormones so this will affect how you look when mewing as well, I have a lot of testosterone and I am afraid that it will make me look much more masculine than I already do...

I know that this post was a lot of rambling, but does anyone know any methods or things I could do, along with anything else I should know to get a more feminine and attractive face, based on what I have described? Again, I have a long, broad and thin face, hollow eyes, yet also protruding big bug eyes, a very long midface, long philtrum, defined jawline and protruding chin. I desire a shorter and rounder, more filled out face, higher and rounder cheekbones, a more upwards and forwards maxilla, less dark circles and eye hollows, a short midface, a wider palate, and a more symmetrical, and generally very feminine face. I would also not like to define my jawline or chin any more than they already are.

Any advice would be very helpful, thank you in advance!

Posted : 09/11/2019 1:49 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

You'll probably look more feminine as mewing fixes some of those traits to become more, femenine I guess?

It's kinda hard to tell without pictures. Also mewing won't make you 'too developed' it's not like you keep going on indefinitely. How do you know that you have a lot of testosterone by the way? Did you read some crap online or did you take a blood test to find out?

From what I've seen of here and anywhere else, you should be able to achieve a shorter face, wider palate, forward maxilla, and some of the other stuff as well. Granted it requires effort, and you might wanna trash those braces as it could hamper mewing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2019 3:12 pm
HumanityStrongTogether

@oatmeal

But how would it make me look more feminine, when it makes so many people look much more masculine? As for the testosterone thing, I will admit, I am saying based on what I have researched, but I have so many symptoms of high testosterone/hormone imbalance other than physical features, I have almost all of the symptoms of PCOS, but during blood checks nothing comes up.

Unfortunately I cannot just get rid of my retainers, my parents and my orthodontist said that I should be wearing them at all times..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2019 8:11 pm
LizzyBennet

If you have all the signs of high testosterone as a 16 year old girl, I suggest you continue pushing for a proper medical diagnosis. If you have a medical condition you need to have it treated - it is not a matter of making your face look more feminine by mewing or whatever.

From what I have read mewing is supposed to:
- make your cheekbones more prominent (both frontal and lateral)
- make your jawline more defined and angular
- make your chin more prominent
- increase distance between eyes
- widen palate

From what I have seen and read mewing does not:
- shorten philtrum - in some cases the philtrum is in fact lengthened
- make face rounder
- make cheekbones rounder

I do think that mewing makes some faces more masculine. I have never seen mewing make a face more feminine. In females it may make the face better proportioned/balanced, more defined, etc., but not feminine as such. You could argue that feminine faces are ones that have a high degree of neotony (large round eyes, small, pointed and short chin, short philtrum, rounded forehead, and so on). If you think about it, these are traits that are in fact the opposite of what is considered to be achieved by mewing. 

Now, does this mean that females shouldn't mew? No, not at all. Mewing, after all, is supposed to make our faces the way they should be absent negatives forces such as bad habits. But the 'best face' that any one person can achieve is determined by genetics, and some people genetically have a feminine/neotonous face while others have a more masculine or handsome face. If you are genetically coded to be the latter, you cannot make yourself become the former, neither by mewing nor not mewing.

If you do have a hormonal imbalance, of course, that can definitely affect your face, away from your genetic blueprint, as we can see with transgender people. You need to be more persistent in getting a medical diagnosis for your hormonal issues. If it turns out that you don't have hormonal issues, it probably means that you just do not have genes for a hyper feminine face. Not many women have genes for a hyper feminine face, it's just one type of face among many.

Regardless of whether you have a hormonal issue or not, you should still mew in the meantime because even if your face is not as feminine as you want it to be, you will still look better with mewing because mewing will enable you to become the best version of yourself (in terms of health as well as looks).

As for your retainers, you say that not wearing them for two months made spaces open up between your teeth. Does that not mean that your arches were, and are meant to be, wider than currently, but were forcefully narrowed with braces? If not wearing retainers are opening up spaces between your teeth and widening your arches, isn't that what you want? You said you wanted a wider palate. If that is the case tell your orthodontist that that is what you want. Rather than forcing you to wear your retainers to lock your teeth in as they are now, your orthodontist can offer you a solution for widening your arches/palate or, if she refuses, then you can find someone else who can help or you go it alone like many people on this forum are doing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2019 11:17 pm
HumanityStrongTogether

@lizzybennet

Thank you for this blunt and honest answer. It is not what I wanted to hear, but it does answer my question and I appreciate that you wrote a long and detailed answer.

I have been trying to push for a diagnosis, but my doctor always just says that missed periods are normal, abnormally masculine features are normal.. she refuses to listen to me, and she thinks it is just insecurity even though I know that something is wrong. 

The thing is that while I would like the increased cheekbones and palate, I do not want or need the other things, as I already have them and making them more prominent would increase the masculinity of my face, which is already a big problem for me. To be honest, it makes me feel like I should not bother mewing, even though I know it is good for me... 

And the funny thing is, I have big round eyes, full lips, full cheeks, rounded forehead, long curly eyelashes and other neotenous features, yet for some reason my face is not at all feminine. 
I understand that I cannot make more feminine if it is genetically coded to be masculine, however, I am not sure if the masculinity in my face is caused by genetics, or hormonal issues. I am wondering also if fixing the hormonal issues would even change anything in my face or body... I was born prematurely and as a result I look a bit different from the rest of my family, perhaps I did not get enough exposure to certain hormones in the womb? I am not sure...

I guess it is just an unrealistic wish and desire, I have always thought of hyper feminine faces as the most beautiful, and wanted it for myself... 

But how would I look better through mewing, if it is enhancing and further increasing the things I do not like about my face? Maybe others may see me as more attractive, but because the features being enhanced by mewing would be the features I do not like in my face. I would feel worse about it...

Well, yes I did want wider arches, but I also want straight teeth... my teeth were going back to how they were before, which is extremely and severely crooked, which I do not want at all. I am not sure how I can maintain both without having a retainer, because of my genetics, my teeth revert extremely quickly. 
To be honest, I feel extremely shy to tell my orthodontist that I want that... everything I say to them is discussed with my parents who are extremely strict, it would become a huge deal with my family, I just do not want to start anything with them.. I come from a low income family who spent so much on my braces, having all of that money go down the drain would be heartbreaking for them and for me.. 

But anyways, thank you for your response? But is there really nothing I can do to make my face more feminine? At all?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2019 9:10 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

@humanitystrongtogether

Well, if it really turns out to be true that you have a hormone imbalance, that definitely could affect your face as the other dude said.  Have you been missing periods a lot, or just once? Nothing comes up during blood checks though? Could be puberty, who knows.

With your family stuff, that's on you. Internet users can't force you to do anything. I'd suggest asking them to take them off, as at least you have  a chance at convincing, if worse comes to worse you'll have to wait it out. Maybe you could see a orthotropic guy near where you live and ask to go there.

Also with proper oral posture, I don't think your teeth should revert.

Also, maybe it is insecurity? Who knows.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2019 10:42 am
LizzyBennet

I feel for you. I understand what you are saying about your parents having spent a lot of money to get you orthodontic treatment and how wasteful it would be to throw it all away now. And I did not realise that your teeth got crooked without retainers - I was just thinking of the spaces opening up and immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was a good thing. 

What is your intermolar width? If your IMW is not very narrow, perhaps you could, for the time being at least, sacrifice some of your ability to widen your palate in favour of keeping your teeth straight. Based on what you said it seems you are wearing Essix retainers. You can still mew with Essix retainers. It will take more force and more time to move things if you wearing retainers, but continuous and consistent tongue force over a long period of time is in fact stronger than the plastic Essix retainers are made of. If you mew while using the retainers, over time you will find that your arch will widen to a modest degree and the retainers will mould with the teeth. That is why Essix retainers don’t stay exactly the same shape forever as when they were first made. The ability to move things with your tongue will be reduced by the fact that retainers are exerting an opposing force, but small changes will be possible over time, and the retainers will also act as an insurance against your teeth becoming crooked.

One thing that concerns me a little, though, is that your teeth became crooked when you stopped wearing your retainers last time. If you were mewing correctly, your teeth should not have become crooked. The tongue holding your teeth from collapsing inward combined with your mouth muscles containing your teeth from splaying outwards should mean that your teeth remain aligned in a U shape. I suggest you do more research on mewing to make absolute sure that you are doing it corectly. Many people start mewing thinking they are doing it correctly but along the way discover that they weren’t and there is a more correct way, and some time later, again realise that even the new and improved way was still not completely right and so on. Over time most people improve their technique, myself included. So keep reading and watching and asking and thinking to get better and better at mewing.

As you can see, I still think you should mew as it will make your face better balanced and more symmetrical, even if it doesn’t make your face more overtly feminine. Given that you have plenty of feminine features already, I don’t think there is much concern that your face will become too masculine with mewing. Some of the effects of mewing, such as increased distance between the eyes and more forward projecting cheekbones enhance femininity too, so you shouldn’t get too hung up on just the more ‘masculinising’ effects of mewing. 

Now for the hormonal issue. As someone with hormonal issues myself (not PCOS but others) I know how difficult it can be to get proper diagnosis and treatment because unfortunately doctors are still not very knowledgeable about hormonal issues. Endocrinology seems to be one of the least developed areas of medical science, and hormone tests are so inadequate and unsophisticated that oftentimes hormonal problems do indeed go undiagnosed. I have been dealing with this for more than a decade, so I know. This forces many people to take matters into their own hands to self diagnose and self medicate, and I am entirely understanding of this, but your age - the fact that you are still developing - makes it very imprudent for you to go down this kind of path. I would be very reluctant to recommend you do anything without the sign off of a reputable medical practitioner, but if you really believe you have PCOS and you are not doing so already, you might try taking the pill and see if that improves some of the symptoms you believe you are experiencing. OTC contraceptive pills are routinely taken by girls/women without necessitating discussion with a doctor and it could go a long way to balancing your hormones closer to how they should be. That’s as far as I can go. Any other advice of a medical nature would be wholly inappropriate for me to give you.

If you still feel the way you do about your looks when you are older and independent and have your own source of income, there are plenty of cosmetic procedures available to make the face more feminine if that is what you wish when the time comes. Until then, please remember that at sixteen your face is still changing and you may find that the things you currently dislike about your face fix themselves naturally as you get older. I know when you are a teenager it seems that the problems you have now will stay that way forever, but that is not true. 
Make up and clothing can be used to good effect to look more feminine too. As you say, you are naturally blessed with many very feminine features like large round eyes and round cheeks, so play them up. Emphasise these feminine features with the judicious use of make up, and I assure you, nobody will think you look masculine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2019 11:22 am
HumanityStrongTogether

@oatmeal

I have been missing periods since August 2018, I only have had two periods since then. I had an early puberty, and finished around age 12-13... The only thing that comes up during blood checks is anemia. Although I have never directly asked to get hormones checked, so I am not sure if they have checked them.. 

I was trying my best to practice proper oral posture, but like I said in the original post, it was always so uncomfortable and painful for me that I could barely do it..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2019 11:44 am
HumanityStrongTogether

@lizzybennet

Thank you so much! Based on your response you seem incredibly sweet 🙂 I have never measured my IMW before, but I know that it is not that narrow. However, it is not nearly as wide as the rest of my family, who all have very wide palates.. I am wearing Hawley retainers, I asked the orthodontist for Essix retainers when I was getting my braces off, but she refused, saying that Hawley's would be better for me because my teeth move so fast. 
I already know that I was not mewing correctly. I have had my tongue on the roof of my mouth my entire life, however it is only at the front. Putting the back on my tongue to the roof of my mouth is so uncomfortable for me, I cannot breath and I feel faint. And now that I am wearing my retainers again, my teeth are getting used to them and my entire mouth hurts, and mewing at all puts extra pressure on them and hurts so badly... 

Based on what I have read, the proper way to mew is to gently attach your tongue to the entire roof of your mouth with a suction cup-like hold, making sure the pressure is evenly distributed and you are putting pressure on the very back as well.. I have trouble doing this because I cannot breath, so I am not sure how I can maintain it when I am constantly gasping for air. 
Once my teeth settle into my retainers and stop hurting, I will start mewing again, however, because of the retainer I am not sure if I am doing anything. And I do not want to wait until I am 18, because my age is the best time to start... so I am not sure what I will do about that. I do not want it to be too late. 
Although I have some feminine features, the sheer length of my face along with my facial proportions and placement of my features make me look incredibly masculine. When I try to play up my feminine features with makeup, I look like a man wearing makeup, even when the makeup is very well done... it makes me feel horrible about myself, I never feel beautiful...

I agree that hormonal problems are not researched enough at all, even though it is a problem for many women. I have symptoms of PCOS and endometriosis, and symptoms of high testosterone too, in my face, body, and especially in my genital area..... I  know that it is hormones and not genetics because my family is full of tall and feminine looking and curvaceous women with ripe hourglass figures, including my 15 year old sister... yet I somehow ended up short and stout, with very broad shoulders, weight gain only in my stomach, lots of muscle despite being extremely sedentary, no hips and a large ribcage and frame, which no one else in my family has.. my parents would never let take the pill, they are religious and would think I want to have sex.. and plus, I would not want my body to become dependent on those hormones, if I could I would like to find a way to get my body to produce the proper amount of hormones on its own... but I do not know if that is possible. I know that I am young to care about this... but being a teenager I feel like my face and body still have a chance to change, if I could fix my hormones soon, perhaps I would be able to look better (again especially my genital area...) vs when I am an adult and the hormones would make me feel better, but I would more or less look the same.. also my dream is to have a family, that is something I have always wanted, having the beautiful experience of being pregnant, giving birth and raising them to be good members of society.. I plan on adopting as well, but I would like to be fertile..

I personally do not believe in plastic surgery or cosmetic procedures, as much as I care about my looks, this is something I could never do, to me it would feel like I am adding things to my body that are not me, or removing parts of myself... if that makes sense. It just goes against my personal moral code. Again, as I said earlier, when I wear feminine makeup and clothing I look like a man playing dress up, it doesn't go with my look and it looks odd and fake... I am not blessed with many feminine features, I just have a few such as big eyes, full cheeks and lips, but I have still had people tell me I look like a boy, or boys jokingly dare their friends to ask me on a date, in which the friend responds with something along the lines of "Ew, no!" Just thinking about all of this is making me feel horrible about myself, I feel like I have no hope...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2019 12:15 pm
LizzyBennet

I see. I do not believe it is possible to mew while wearing Hawley retainers because the acrylic part of the retainers sits in the space where your tongue is supposed to lie. In this case, unfortunately, I think you will have to give up on the idea of mewing and increasing your palate width for as long as you need to wear Hawley retainers. This is just my opinion, of course. I have never worn Hawley retainers, let alone tried to mew with them on, so... perhaps you can figure out a way to do it, although I can see that it would be very painful!

I really am not sure how to rebalance hormones naturally without some medical intervention like taking the pill. The pill is not really bad for you and you don't have to take it forever.. it's just to supplement the hormones you are lacking temporarily until you can make your own. It is sometimes used to 'jump start' your system - by taking it for a short period then stopping, it acts as a catalyst for your cycle to start running as it should. I do understand the reluctance to put artificial chemicals in your body though, since I'm a bit like that in some ways. I refuse to take things like painkillers and antibiotics because I find them unnecessary for the vast majority of instances and because your body builds up tolerance to such substances.

Anyway.. I wish you luck whatever it is you choose to do. It may just be a matter of thinking positively and waiting for your face to grow into itself. Teenagers quite often grow unevenly, with some parts of the face growing before the others, so that until everything has caught up, the face can look unbalanced. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 7:30 am
HumanityStrongTogether

@lizzybennet

Ok, so I guess for now I will have to stop mewing... but the thing is, I will have to wear Hawley retainers at night for the rest of my life... so does that mean I can never mew? 
And even if the pill does help, my mother thinks it is bad and that it messes with your body and ruins your fertility... even though it would do the opposite for me. And I agree, I do not like the thought of putting fake hormones in my body, I am currently working towards being much healthier and I want to put as many natural things in and on my body as possible. However, if it will help me, then I will do it for the sake of health.

Thank you for being so helpful! I hope that one day I have a "glow up" as people say haha, but for now I guess I will just have to be patient.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 12:59 pm
LizzyBennet

I doubt you would need to wear Hawley retainers forever. I would guess that because your bones are still growing currently, and because it's not been long since you got your braces out, your orthodontist is being extra careful. Once you have had your braces out for several years and your bones have matured, there will be much less risk of your teeth relapsing. At that point you can move to Essix retainers or fixed retainers on the front teeth only and you will have more freedom to mew. Yes, it is not ideal because your bones being more mature will make it that much harder to make changes, but given the situation with your parents it doesn't seem like it is possible to do anything right now other than wear your Hawley retainers as your orthodontist wants.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 6:09 am
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member
Posted by: @humanitystrongtogether

Hello, this is my first post on this website.

I am a 16 year old girl, I found out about mewing when I was 15 but never did it. I have retainers after having braces for 6.5 years, since the age of 9. I have a defined jawline, protruding chin and a somewhat forward maxilla, and have never mouth breathed. However, I have a very long thin yet broad face, very long midface and philtrum, flat cheekbones, hollow under eyes, and some hollowness above my eyes as well. My face is very asymmetrical. My face is just generally not well developed and it looks extremely masculine. I actually look like a transgender man taking testosterone (I hope that is not offensive..).

Having retainers, I am not sure what I can do to make my face more feminine and more beautiful.. I stopped wearing retainers for a couple of months while trying to mew, and my teeth relapsed so much, my orthodontist was so angry at me. She said that if I do not wear them every day for at least 22 hours, I will have to go back to braces, because two of my spaces opened up again. 

I have so much trouble mewing as well, it is so incredibly uncomfortable and almost painful for me to do despite never being a mouth breather or having a tongue tie. I cannot breath at all, which is bad for me as I already have anemia and need lots of oxygen. I am also worried that if I do mew, my face will become too developed, and give me an Angelina Jolie type of look, or a high fashion model look, which would make me look much worse due to my masculine facial features. i know that it is something everyone should be doing for their health, but I still have this fear. I have a hormonal imbalance, I read once that the development of your bone structure is controlled by hormones so this will affect how you look when mewing as well, I have a lot of testosterone and I am afraid that it will make me look much more masculine than I already do...

I know that this post was a lot of rambling, but does anyone know any methods or things I could do, along with anything else I should know to get a more feminine and attractive face, based on what I have described? Again, I have a long, broad and thin face, hollow eyes, yet also protruding big bug eyes, a very long midface, long philtrum, defined jawline and protruding chin. I desire a shorter and rounder, more filled out face, higher and rounder cheekbones, a more upwards and forwards maxilla, less dark circles and eye hollows, a short midface, a wider palate, and a more symmetrical, and generally very feminine face. I would also not like to define my jawline or chin any more than they already are.

Any advice would be very helpful, thank you in advance!

I have PCOS (and I believe you're saying you have this, too?) which was said to be mild (when I finally got a diagnosis when I was 25). Luckily I knew right away when things began to take a turn for the worse when I turned 21 thanks to dr. Google and began treating myself. Because I had terrible side effects with the pill. After thumb pulling I somehow managed to do... something to a gland in my brain, presumably, because for the first time since the car accident I could sleep a full 8 hours with dreams. And my sleep was trash before that with insomnia, then going all the way back to having colic. Since April this year I've lost 65lbs very easily (like I'm stunned how easy it's been) when before the thumb pulling I went through intense struggles to lose a mere 5lbs... a year!

I think it goes to show how important adequate sleep is for optimal health. People always say it's calories in, calories out, exercise, get on this particular diet, etc but that didn't work for me. Actually I suspect getting my light exposure more optimal has played a bigger role than diet.

I think I read approx 30% PCOS sufferers have sleep apnea. You can have it and not even know it, too.

Are you sure it's high testosterone? Because PCOS is (from my understanding) partly to do with elevated DHT because estrogen is too high relative to progesterone. Understanding of this condition is evolving and other hormones are being implicated such as anti-mueller (sp?) hormone which is said to be helped by a keto diet. Insulin, Cortisol, Leptin and Grehlin are involved as well.

If you really just can't exercise for whatever reason, which can help with the excess estrogen issue (on the other hand, can also cause cortisol spikes if done too much) try things like hot Epsom salt baths, saunas. Cold baths and showers are also useful, they help build bones and oxygenate the body. I wish I could better understand how I changed my sleep so I could explain to people... 

The other thing is I struggle with heavy metals which is common with PCOS, and I like to take 1/2 tsp activated charcoal and 1/2 tsp bentonite clay 2 hours after dinner. They can detox you so back off for3 days if that happens. Lemons in the morning and dry skin brushing is good too. I also like to drink bittermelon juice, super gross at first but greatly helps insulin. Lymphatic drainage face massage (YouTube has tutorials) will eventually take the puffiness away. Vitamin C (to help progesterone, glutathione, bone) and no dim light at night have been game changers for me too. But getting the 8 hours sleep with dreams has been #1 by far. Hope this helps!

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/11/2019 1:32 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Sleep has sex hormones...enough good sleep makes females more feminine and males more masculine.  I would go to a girly looking orthodontist...even if it’s a male.

Oh wait...no $ for a new ortho...well...keep in mind that widening uppers advances chins.  Narrowing uppers can push back chins.  Chewing firm foods and hard gum advances chins.  Soft food can be beneficial.  If you can share a photo, we can give feedback.

Maybe try a hormone doctor?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2019 2:23 am
Yonasuh

Facial upswing will make anyone look better. It would only make your face masculine if you were predispositioned to have a masculine face. As Mewing pushes your face up and forwards, as a result your recessed  predispositioned facial features caused by downswing will show. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2020 1:03 am