Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

You have heard of underbites. But have you heard about "middle-bites"?  

RSS
Loliboly
Estimable Member

I don't have an underbite. But, I do feel that my jaw wants to hang further forward, in relationship to my bite and upper palate. This however makes my lower incisors hit the upper ones when biting, which obviously isn't correct. In this "middle position", the lower teeth are still behind the uppers ones. So even though they seem to be to far forward, this is not a question of a classic underbite. Hence the unofficial name "middle-bite". To have a proper bite, I feel like I have to pull my jaw backwards from the "middle position", to make my bite fit. I may add that this becomes more evident after longer durations of chewing.

Does anyone else here experience something similar? Is this common? For those of you who believe that teeth should be in contact: Do you even think this applies in cases like this as well? I assume someone like @EddieMoney would use this as an example of why teeth shouldn't be in contact.

Please share your experiences and let me know what you think!

Posted : 16/07/2020 9:22 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Sort of same issue. I have to bite backwards in order for all teeth cusps to meet. My lower jaw wants to go forward. Do you have class 3 alignment?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2020 1:58 pm
Sergio-OMS
Eminent Member
Posted by: @loliboly

I don't have an underbite. But, I do feel that my jaw wants to hang further forward, in relationship to my bite and upper palate. This however makes my lower incisors hit the upper ones when biting, which obviously isn't correct. In this "middle position", the lower teeth are still behind the uppers ones. So even though they seem to be to far forward, this is not a question of a classic underbite. Hence the unofficial name "middle-bite". To have a proper bite, I feel like I have to pull my jaw backwards from the "middle position", to make my bite fit. I may add that this becomes more evident after longer durations of chewing.

Does anyone else here experience something similar? Is this common? For those of you who believe that teeth should be in contact: Do you even think this applies in cases like this as well? I assume someone like @EddieMoney would use this as an example of why teeth shouldn't be in contact.

Please share your experiences and let me know what you think!

sound like lateral pterygoid muscles are overactive, you should relax them and stop doing whatever you are doing or your interarticular discs will slip forward and you will have a TMJ internal derangement.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2020 4:38 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney

No, I don’t have an underbite. I think my dentist considered me class 1, since my bite was functioning well(one of the reasons I wasn’t recommended braces, thankfully). However, I feel like my bite isn’t optimal. Like you, I feel like I have to bite backwards to have a proper bite. I am used to this and it feels fairly natural. But really, I feel like my jaw wants be be further forward. That position of the jaw creates this so called middle bite.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 9:38 am
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@sergio-oms

How would a lateral muscle cause my jaw to move horizontally?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 9:43 am
Sergio-OMS
Eminent Member

@sergio-oms

How would lateral muscle cause my jaw to move horizontally?

I don’t really understand your question, can you rephrase it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 10:29 am
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@sergio-oms

The fibres of the muscles you are referring to runs laterally. If I understand you correctly, you seem to suggest that over-activation of these muscles is causing my jaw to move forwards, I.e horizontally. I don’t see how a muscle that inserts on the lateral plane could do this. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 4:25 pm
Sergio-OMS
Eminent Member

@sergio-oms

The fibres of the muscles you are referring to runs laterally. If I understand you correctly, you seem to suggest that over-activation of these muscles is causing my jaw to move forwards, I.e horizontally. I don’t see how a muscle that inserts on the lateral plane could do this. 

Ok... you don’t see it... but that is exactly what those two muscles do when acting simultaneously.

if you don’t trust me you can ask Dr. Google. Maybe you trust him better than me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 4:58 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@sergio-oms

I don’t mean to say you are wrong. Only that I don’t understand how this would work, technically. I am interested in learning more, and any knowledge you have is appreciated. Now, I just read a little about the muscle, and it turns out it assists in chewing. This may explain why I feel the middle bite increase after intense sessions of chewing. Would you agree? Otherwise, I still don’t feel this answers the whole question, since I had a middle bite before I started working out my chewing muscles. Maybe it is just a symptom of my maxilla being recessed, pushing my jaw backwards?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 5:12 pm
Sergio-OMS
Eminent Member

Maybe it is just a symptom of my maxilla being recessed, pushing my jaw backwards?

It might be that, yes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 6:54 pm