Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Would facepulling gear be enough in my case? Could use some help.  

RSS
Teutonos

Hello all. I'm 23 years old and have been interested in Mewing and getting a Mew-esque face pulling mask at some point but I never got around to it until now.

So, from what I can tell, I have a recessed maxilla. My cheekbones are fine, but I have some teeth crowding on my upper jaw, and an overbite, resulting in a weak chin (especially when clenching my teeth) and a somewhat big-ish nose. My lower teeth are fine and straight, and I've never used any sort of dental appliance before in my life.

I've always had Mewing in the back of my mind and always assumed I'd be using a simple face pull gear set up.

What I believe I need to do is 1) expand my upper jaw/maxilla, in order to make room for my crowded teeth, and 2) tilt my maxilla upwards to a more level angle, to swing my lower jaw more forwards and straight. And, possibly, 3) pull my actual maxilla forwards (I'm not sure I actually need this that much though).

So here's my plan: I need two sources of pressure. One source of pressure will be pushing my upper row of teeth wider/to the side. I'm planning on doing this with a teeth retainer thing that can bend and putting pressure on it to widen from the sides.

The second source of pressure needs to be in the palate itself. I plan on doing this by getting a mold of my palate, and then making a hard resin copy of the mold. Then attach the copy to the headgear and use it to apply upwards pressure on my palate.

In principle, would this work? I'm also considering doing the same retainer like thing of expansion on my bottom jaw/teeth, to expand the lower jaw, but only if needed.

I would appreciate any and all help. Peace.

Posted : 10/10/2020 11:53 pm
Teutonos

PS I also am going on a liquid diet once I start my facepulling protocol. This is an aspect of Mewing that I don't think gets nearly enough attention.

If you're like a lot of people interested in this stuff, then you have a retruded maxilla and an overbite (meaning when you clench your jaw or chew, your top row of teeth goes over the bottom row).

Well, if you're trying to expand and lift your maxilla and fix your overbite, but you continue chewing, you're only reinforcing your previous maxillary alignment. Every time you chew you're reinforcing your overbite. And so once I start wearing my facegear 8-12 hours a day, I'm also going to go on a liquid diet (which will meet all nutritional needs and then some), while also keeping my rows of teeth aligned, to make sure that the only external pressure my jaw, maxilla, and face receives is the pressure from my facegear.

I have a feeling that this will drastically increase the effectiveness of the facegear.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2020 12:38 am
Teutonos

Also, NCR would be useful in my case, right? I don't understand it completely as I researched it a while back, but I've heard it is helpful for this kind of thing. Does it make the sutures more easily seperate/growable?

As I said before, I would appreciate any help. We're all on the same team here, I bet the majority of people here are in the same demographic, so I would appreciate any help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2020 12:42 am
Teutonos

These are pictures of my side profile, with the front teeth of both jaws aligned.

Here's my profile with my teeth clenched.

What do you guys think I should do? From the front I look okay, but from the side it's a recessed maxilla/chin disaster.

I also have a fairly crowded up row of teeth, as mention earlier. Well actually, all the teeth are straight, except for one of the very front ones, which is being pushed/flared out.

Thing is, my cheekbones look fine.

Do I even need much maxilla width? Or does it mostly look like I need my maxilla's angle to become more parallel?

I also can breath perfectly out of my nose, so I don't think I need any extra nasal space.

I would appreciate any help. My plan right now is palate expansion/maxilla rotation with facegear and potentially MSE. But I don't want to do the wrong thing and totally mess up my face even further. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2020 2:38 pm
chiefkeefsosa
Eminent Member

Look bro, your whole skull is messed up from years of bad posture. Thats why you have a big occiput, sloping forehead etc. You're tilting your head up to compensate for a "downswing" which is why the tips of your ears are way below your eyes. They only chance you have at correcting this is putting you body in correct posture all day. 

There is no subsitiute for this. No face mask, no appliance etc. Only correct posture should in theory give you good results because it applies all the correct forces at once.

Have you gave mewing/posture a dedicated effort for at least 1 year and then decided to do this face mask stuff?

This user has been banned from forum participation

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2020 9:25 pm
Teutonos

@chiefkeefsosa

Thanks for the reply.

And yes, I completely forgot to mention, my posture is horrible. I wasn't trying to hide it, I just kinda forgot.

I think my sloping forehead/occipital bump is simply genetics. I doubt that can be fixed nor was it caused by anything. But it combines in a really bad way with my recessed maxilla/chin and bad posture, making everything look even worse.

But my head tilt, neck, shoulders, etc, can all be fixed. That's something I was going to attempt fixing through yoga/weightlifting.

As for Mewing, I've been Mewing since I was 18. Correct tongue posture, correct swallowing, always nose breathing, etc. As you can plainly see, it is has been ineffective in my case. I probably could have tried more pressure with my tongue, but it hurts when I do that.

Is facegear really that radical? Isn't facegear what I should be doing? I mean, certainly not alone, fixing posture is also a priority, but isn't facegear also something that would tremendously help?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2020 10:59 pm
chiefkeefsosa
Eminent Member
Posted by: @teutonos

@chiefkeefsosa

Is facegear really that radical? Isn't facegear what I should be doing? I mean, certainly not alone, fixing posture is also a priority, but isn't facegear also something that would tremendously help?

Im not an expect on facegear but I think the fact that there's no result pics from people using facegear speaks for itself.

I still haven't seen a result pic from MSE + FM. Basically I highly doubt that it works. 

I dont think you should be using facegear. This is because everyone who got drastic results, keep in mind they were over 20, didnt use facegear.

They dedicated their life to mewing by having correct body posture and applying high forces with the tongue.

I wish you the best, but I think you should give mewing another go, and really go hard because thats your best bet.

Also a big occiput is caused by bad posture 100%. 

This user has been banned from forum participation

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2020 8:53 am