fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Widening of the lower dental arch in relation to the upper arch.

Mewingworks123
(@mewingworks123)

Through a period of adopting correct oral posture, around 2 months, my upper dental arch has widened significantly.

This is great, and my bite feels much better and I even feel stronger and more masculine in general. However, my lower dental arch seems to be lacking such development. This is evident as I can feel the biting surface (with my tongue) of the two most posterior lower molars on both sides when my teeth are together. Perhaps this is normal, but it seems obvious to me that I should only be able to feel the sides?

My question is: will the lower dental arch eventually widen to fit the expansion of the upper dental arch through continuing proper posture, and what can be done to potentiate this.

Topic starter Posted : 06/10/2018 1:39 pm
alfio
(@alfio)
10+ Forum Posts

Read this file and you will find the answer

https://symbiosisonlinepublishing.com/dentistry-oraldisorders-therapy/dentistry-oraldisorders-therapy35.pdf  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/10/2018 6:23 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
500+ Forum Posts

alfio could u just post the answer

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2018 1:00 pm
alfio
(@alfio)
10+ Forum Posts

Laziness doesn't help to  achieve goals!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2018 9:33 pm
Banknote liked
Apollo
(@apollo)
500+ Forum Posts

Relevant thread:

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/how-to-encourage-the-mandibular-arch-to-keep-up-with-expansion-of-the-maxillary-arch/#

The consensus seemed to agree with a quote from this article (  https://www.smlglobal.com/sites/default/files/PBB20.pdf  ):

It is often the patient’s mandibular intercanine width that is the limiting factor to treatment, as it only increases slightly throughout growth. In fact, most of the mandibular correction in arch width that is seen during treatment is the uprighting of lingually tipped teeth back over the basal bone.

This is not to say that an increase in mandibular arch width cannot be accomplished. It can. Small amounts of widening of the basal bony width of the mandible can occur by orthodontic stimulation of bony deposition on the lateral borders of the corpus mandibularis.

I am using a myobrace after palate expansion to help fine-tune the occlusion and shape of my arches. My maxillary intermolar width started out narrower than the mandibular arch except that my lower molars were lingually tipped preventing cross bite. It's still too soon to say how effective the myobrace will be. I've had some reduction in the minimal crowding of my lower incisors but it's unclear if the myobrace has given me any mandibular intercanine expansion. I still have separation between the mesial slopes of my upper canines and the distal slopes of my lower canines.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2018 7:20 am
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
500+ Forum Posts

i read the whole thing laziness has nothing to do with it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2018 8:26 am
alfio
(@alfio)
10+ Forum Posts
Posted by: Rockyp33

i read the whole thing laziness has nothing to do with it

Congratulations!!!  🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2018 8:08 am
zosogg
(@zosogg)
50+ Forum Posts

@alfio Yeah bro your article doesn't answer the question.

@Rockyp33 To echo what @Apollo said, when I went in to an ortho consult the clinician told me exactly this, that if you've had braces before/ your teeth on your mandible are tipped inwards, they can tip them back upright to correct the bite, but otherwise there isn't much change that happens to the lower palate, it is probably genetic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2018 9:28 am
alfio
(@alfio)
10+ Forum Posts
Posted by: zosogg

@alfio Yeah bro your article doesn't answer the question.

I know, maybe the article is a bit 'too complicated for you, but I'm sure that with a little' commitment you will find the answer! Come on bro !!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2018 7:34 pm
Edgecis
(@edgecis)

I’ve only been mewing/ having tongue up for like 4 days. But already my upper arch or teeth seems further apart. (Not sure if it’s tipping or palate expansion). But my lower teeth do not line up with my top anymore. I previously had a perfect bite and perfectly aligned teeth, but just a narrow palate (30mm imw). Seems my lower teeth tip inwards now perhaps because I’ve removed my tongue from the bottom of my mouth? How can I get my bottom teeth/ palate to stay aligned with the top? Or will I have to be patient as the mandible catches up to the maxilla? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/10/2018 6:04 pm

THE GREAT WORK

Warning:
Your Cranial Sutures Need To Be open for CranioSacral / Jaw Development!