Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Why straws suck & ditching your sports bottle  

RSS
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Open cups - they don’t depress the tongue

Posted : 21/06/2019 1:47 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

What do you mean with "they don't depress the tongue"?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 9:29 am

I see your point, but let's not lose our sense of proportion. How much pressure are we really exerting inward on our dental arches when we suck on a straw for a few seconds? How does this compare to a few seconds of tongue chewing, or a good strong postural suction hold?

I'd certainly rather use a straw for acidic beverages, to minimize their contact with dental enamel. 

Also, you can still do a proper tongue swallow after sucking liquid into your mouth from a straw.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2019 10:55 am

@darkindigo How does it stop a good swallow? You just bring the liquid into your mouth, and then swallow.

If you're breaking the swallowing pattern of your life already, I don't see how a straw is an obstacle. Mike Mew even talks about how pausing before every swallow is a good habit to get into. To enforce the new pattern. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2019 6:55 pm