Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Why is my CFD so bad?  

RSS
harrykanemaxilla
Estimable Member

Whats made my face this much of a mess?

Posted : 12/01/2020 4:19 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Your CFD isn't so bad. It is a very common form where the face doesn't grow downward and outward. You lack vertical height. You appear brachyfacial aka Class 2 Div 2 maybe? Do you bite with mostly your molars? Your face looks very short. Your issue isn't that your face is downward grown, rather that your maxilla looks like it stayed up there. Do you hold your teeth together or apart? It also seems you lack width. What is your Mew line? Like high 30s low 40s? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2020 9:07 pm
harrykanemaxilla
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney

Is my face missing forward growth?

I was class 2 division 2 but now I am class 1 because the orthodontist done rubber band and braces treatment. I always chew with molars and rested teeth in contact while I was growing up but now I keep them apart with mewing. My IMW is 33mm but I have never measured my mew line. My upper teeth dont show when I open my mouth unless I smile.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2020 2:57 am
Yonasuh

I’m sorry. What is CFD

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2020 6:05 am
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@yonasuh

Craniofacial dystrophy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2020 6:09 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

.I got braces as well which turned my occlusion to class 1. Although my face is kinda long and more grown downward so I suppose its different for you. Also Eddie, I thought you thought mew lines were kinda irrelevant? What's it supposed to signify really?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2020 8:56 am
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

I'm no expert when it comes to analyzing faces, but whenever I see a lot of extra skin and soft tissue under the chin with people who are not overweight, it occurs to me that they have a very poor swallow function and the back of the tongue is resting low in the mouth.  Really work on getting the back posterior third of your tongue up into your soft palate, lift your hyoid bone up, and focus on correcting your swallow function. This should help to improve your appearance going forward.

Edit:  Overall body posture and lots of chin tucking exercise is also key.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2020 3:47 pm
openbytes17

@eddiemoney

Do you recommend teeth together or apart?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2020 6:55 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @openbytes17

@eddiemoney

Do you recommend teeth together or apart?

The best place for the mandible is where the tongue can cover the entire palate and isn't restricted by other obstructions. This may mean teeth apart for some people.

Also, those with malocclusion should probably not keep their teeth together since the forces would not be delivered evenly. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2020 7:17 pm
gewgerg

I have similar recession to you just not as much; I'm recessed in the same directions though with the back of my maxilla too high up with a short ramus 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 1:53 pm