Forum

NOTICE:

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Why is my brother's face wider than mine despite having a narrower pallet?  

RSS
megamandude
(@megamandude)
Eminent Member

Can someone explain why? I have ten teeth when smiling, he only has eight, yet his face is much wider than mine. From what I read online the more teeth you have when smiling correlates to a higher intermolar width so this doesn't make sense to me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2018 11:14 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Estimable Member

There might be a good reason. His cheek (zygomatic) bones might be wider. Meaning, they extend far out more from the maxilla giving the face a wider appearance.

This is very common among different phenotypes. If you take two people with the same inter molar width, but from different ethnic backgrounds they will show differences in face width, length, and shape.

It's very likely that you and your brother have inherited different facial features. Do you have allot of mixing in your family tree?

name changed from abdul to Abdulrahman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2018 12:33 pm
megamandude
(@megamandude)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Abdulrahman

There might be a good reason. His cheek (zygomatic) bones might be wider. Meaning, they extend far out more from the maxilla giving the face a wider appearance.

This is very common among different phenotypes. If you take two people with the same inter molar width, but from different ethnic backgrounds they will show differences in face width, length, and shape.

It's very likely that you and your brother have inherited different facial features. Do you have allot of mixing in your family tree?

I'm not entirely sure about how long his cheekbones are, but I do know his are low set while mine are high set. What I do know however is that we were both mouthbreathers at the start of our lives, however he stopped around age 10 while I didn't stop until this year (I'm 19). Does position of the maxilla affect the cheekbone width?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2018 1:08 pm
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Estimable Member
Posted by: megamandude

I'm not entirely sure about how long his cheekbones are, but I do know his are low set while mine are high set. What I do know however is that we were both mouthbreathers at the start of our lives, however he stopped around age 10 while I didn't stop until this year (I'm 19). Does position of the maxilla affect the cheekbone width?

Yes the position of the maxilla effect the position of the cheekbones, but based on your first post I assumed like you that your brother's face is wider than yours. Now based on this additional information it might be that your face is longer giving the illusion that his face is wider when its not.

name changed from abdul to Abdulrahman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2018 11:29 pm
megamandude
(@megamandude)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Abdulrahman
Posted by: megamandude

Yes the position of the maxilla effect the position of the cheekbones, but based on your first post I assumed like you that your brother's face is wider than yours. Now based on this additional information it might be that your face is longer giving the illusion that his face is wider when its not.

Hmm, you're probably right. I measured my brother's and my midface ratios, he gets 0.98-1 on most photos while I get 0.92-0.95 on most. I hope mewing could can correct this problem and add width to my face.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2018 11:42 am
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member

@Abdulrahman even within the same ethnic groups brachyfacial and dolichofacial types exist. No mixing need occur.

@megamandude it is a misconception that a wide palate creates a wide face. I have always had a wide palate but I am long faced. It is genetic . I have always been dolichofacial even with an above average palate. Also teeth when smiling is a poor measure of palate width. Julia Roberts has a 12-14 tooth smile but guess what? She has small teeth so they would show greater in number. I have large teeth and only a 10 tooth smile but I have a 45mm wide palate. However because of my genes I have a very tall face and have always had a tall face. 

So don't necessarily believe everything you hear about the face being affected that much by the maxilla. At the end of the day many more factors affect facial development than maxilla position or width.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2018 3:39 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register