Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Why aren't there any studies on orthotropics? Or any really rigorously precise progress pictures that I can find?

grandpafatsack

So a few years ago when I first heard about orthotropics I was mostly indifferent about it ("Sure, maybe it works, why not"). Then I lost interest, and slowly became less confident about it even being applicable to adults/teenagers.

Then recently I stumbled upon a 2015 study "Association between facial growth pattern and facial muscle activity: A prospective cross-sectional study" ( https://sci-hub.tw/https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25986702). At first glance I was amazed, like "Holy b***s, there's actual studies showing muscle activity can change facial development? And this is in adults?"

But as I was looking through the study, nowhere could I find it mentioned over what period of time this growth was measured, and nowhere is it described how or why the people that use their facial muscles differently do it from others that don't.  A.K.A. there's no conclusion or instructions to "chew/relax your mouth in this particular way and you'll see this kind of growth." It's just "we measured these muscles, more activity in some of them means different growth."

I emailed the author of the study with questions about this and haven't heard back yet.

In any case, my concerns didn't invalidate me renewed interest in orthotropics - if muscle activity could clearly cause some change in adult faces according to a few studies, then clearly whatever Mike Mew is proposing should cause some changes in facial development, right? And it should be trivial to make a scientific study about it, or at least find some convincing anecdotal proof online from the thousands of people trying it?

Well I've looked and I can't find any convincing proof online - anecdotal or otherwise. I'm looking at pictures from this very forum, and the progress pictures of people who been 'mewing' for one or two years show no actual changes in bone structure that I can see. Any difference between two superimposed progress pictures is often misleading, because the pictures are often taken with cameras at differing distances/angles from the face, which can easily distort features (even when you'd think it wouldn't).

I'm on the fence here - someone please give me some solid evidence, or at least as close as you can get to solid.

Topic starter Posted : 14/05/2019 1:07 pm
Freddie
Eminent Member

Dude.. If you can’t convive yourself that opening your mouth widely opened and having a terrible posture is bad for your health then stay doing it. And stop asking over and over for proof when you got them everywhere. Mewing is just doing what an expander does on your palate. Are you saying that expander doesn’t work on adults ? Agga appliance...ect. Inform yourself seriously 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2019 9:14 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Maybe learn facial muscle functions to understand the studies. I know if I relax my left outer lip my face looks more pleasant due to it looking more confident. It Also shortens my philtrum and widens my mouth when I move my mandible forward. I look better simply by activating my muscles in different ways. For example moving my mandible forward also causes me to work my mentalis muscle at a greater frequency. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 12:03 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

The only person who knows about this very well is Dr. Sue Lee.  She looks at muscle.  And!  There are some TOP myofunctional therapists who do.  Most myofunctional therapists are dangerous, IMO.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2019 11:02 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

WOW - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25986702   This makes absolutely perfect sense. 

Elsewhere I have read and studied... basically, they found that kids who were smiling in their photos as kids grew up with less mental health issues.  This makes a TON of sense. 

Having your kids just sit for hours playing video games is why all these school shooters are on the scenes.  Their faces are those of a skinny pale kid who never got outside and was with mouth open while playing the game with no facial movement.

Talking is good.  Smiling is good.  TALK to your kids.  PLAY with your kids.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2019 11:04 am