Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

When you mew do you experience sensations?  

RSS
krollic
(@krollic)
Estimable Member

By that I mean things like hearing shifts/pops in sutures or feeling radiating pressure sensations etc.

Personally, I have never felt any of this sort of thing since starting mewing at 23 and I'm wondering how much you guys think this may be impacting my progress.Is it possibly my sutures are overly fused?

Thanks

Posted : 22/03/2019 8:05 pm
WishIKnewSooner
(@wishiknewsooner)

Possible. I’m 34 and have only been mewing for a week but feel pressure in different parts of face depending on angle of force.

Maybe your tongue is weak or you e only been doing soft mewing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2019 8:24 pm
RamonT and meri liked
krollic
(@krollic)
Estimable Member

na, pretty sure it's strong. even if I were to take my thumbs and push upwards on my palate VERY hard I would not feel or hear these things

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2019 8:37 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

Yeah i dont know.. I would guess its either our tongues arent strong enough or theyre not mobile enough. I theorize that these people have no tongue tie restriction and can apply a lot of force.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2019 11:55 pm
Samuel Alonzo
(@samuel-alonzo)
Eminent Member

I used to feel pressure on my cheekbones,my browridge, and on my forehead when I used to hard mew. But since I reverted back to soft mewing those sensations have been gone.But I'm seeing more changes now than before.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2019 11:55 pm
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member

You are not missing out on anything, nor are the poping sounds a sign of anything particularly related to correct tongue posture.

It's just that some early forum members propagated the idea that such sounds and sensations were a sign of sutures opening/moving.

This was made under the false assumption that the tongue can physically open the sutures like a mechanical expander.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2019 12:48 am
krollic
(@krollic)
Estimable Member

that is reassuring, thanks. what has your experience in this regard been?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2019 12:50 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member

I am using braces, so my experience might not be very applicable but there are few note worth points I can share.

Changing from "hard mewing" to correct tongue posturing seems to have made significant difference in the last 4-5 months.

My facial muscles dystrophied and arch started expanding again.

After removing the acrylic expander I experienced some relapse. This did not make sense as I still had braces so at least they should have held the progress.

This made me question my approach and after switching to passive tongue posturing I started expanding again.

Since then I regained all the relapse and more. This all happened while I have a thin wire installed.

The wire is designed to expand to 38mm. I am well above that right now, so there is no way braces have caused all the additional expansion. It's most likely my tongue.

The other change is that my forward head posture improved by about half a centimeter while at the same time my swallow improved. Now I am able to swallow with full force of my tongue without hearing any clicks/pops in the throat. Just one firm sweep with the tongue.

I am noticing changes in my zygomatic arches and eye support as well. I am trying to doubt that but it's there. Small but noticeable to my eyes nonetheless.

People who last saw me several months back ask weather I lost weight. I actually gained weight.

I just think it's the combination of the zygomatic arches getting wider and facial muscles dytrophy that's making my face look different to them and they are assuming it's weight related.

Overall everything is happening slowly but surly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2019 2:18 am
Pame
 Pame
(@pame)
Trusted Member

@abdulrahman How do you explain that simply applying less force with your tongue helped you gain more expansion? Surely if your tongue posture was correct when you hard mewed it shouldn't have hindered your progress to simply be applying more force with the tongue?

Also are you planning to post any guides on correct swallowing and improving head posture on your blog? Do you believe in constantly chin tucking all day? Technically if you do that you won't have any forward head posture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2019 4:57 am
mewchell
(@mewchell)

@Abdulrahman are you sure that when you were hard mewing that you weren't over doing it? like wearing out your tongue and letting it drop, or pressing in the wrong direction? applying more force won't result in less movement that makes zero sense

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2019 5:40 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member

@pame

Not just less force, but also no conscious effort and posterior tongue not fully up yet. I simply do not know how but I can tell you Dr. John Mew alludes to this in his book. He speaks of different forms of facial rescission existing to different degrees:

"Correct maxillary arch development
requires good muscle tone and broad tongue to palate posture (figure IV/42 -1). Good muscle tone without tongue-to-palate posture is able to maintain quite a broad dental arch but will not take the maxilla forward and is likely to be associated with class I deep bite, class II division 2 or a class III malocclusion. Many Japanese and Korean people have this problem with a broad palate but retruded maxilla. In these cases the maxilla will be back with an increased Indicator Line. This is another important concept to understand and may be related to language as well as ethnicity."

It's possible that I have developed enough muscle tone to experience arch widening without having full tongue posture. Given that I am able to swallow properly now and my facial muscles are dystrophying this can make sense.

As for your second question, when you apply force with your tongue to lift up the posterior third and it's weak other muscles will kick in to compensate for the weakness.

That's what was happening when I was doing tongue posture incorrectly and as result my facial muscle hypertrophied.

I have written the swallowing post a while ago as it was one of the first topics I researched extensively, but I am just waiting to get other posts ready first before posting it.

I do not believe in constantly holding anything including chin tucking and tongue posturing. Just like any muscle they require strengthening with repetition and good form. No body builds their chest muscles by holding up the barbell for hours. No body fixes their hunched back by extending for hours.

The same applied to every muscle including the neck and tongue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2019 5:55 am
Rockyp33 liked
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member

@mewchell

I just saw your post. I think I answer most of your questions in the my post but to specifically answer:

No, I was not wearing out my tongue while I was aware.

No, I was pressing sideways and back towards the soft palate.

Applying more force can be counter productive if facial muscles kick in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2019 6:01 am
noises
(@noises)

I get pops all the time when I push upwards with the tongue/inhale deeply. It does seem like they're mostly happening around the maxillary sutures but I get bunch at the back of my head/atlas too. One time I got this sharp crack seemingly on the top of my skull when I was swaying my head from side to side.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2019 11:22 am
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

@abdulrahman I believe you may be correfct atleast until tongue posture is very good. At that point i would guess you could apply more force but I agree if were tying to strengthen the tongue after it being weak for a long time we have to make baby steps and slowly get it stronger and stronger. Also I have always thought that overthinking the tongue posture casues a lot of problems. It seems to cause us to use other muscles than just the tongue. Im also curious how you obtained your passive posture? Just describe how you mew now..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2019 8:55 pm
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member

@rockyp33

Yes my tongue became stronger. If I want to consciously lift it up and push the posterior third against the soft palate I can with no issue. Hardly any facial muscles will engage.

That was not the case before. For example previously if I lifted up my posterior third and then did a cheesy smile it would drop. Now it just stays up.

That being said I do not perform any conscious effort anymore. My tongue posturing has become natural, I do not even think about it.

It just goes up by itself to the top of my mouth and partially sticks to the roof of the mouth. The posterior third is not fully up yet.

When I try to engage the posterior third with a micro swallow I get some facial muscle activity. This tell me I still have some weakness in parts of my tongue.

Thankfully my kit from Sarah Hornby has just arrived in my city. I can't wait to pick it up and practice myofunctional therapy exercises to iron out any remaining deficiencies in the my oral muscles.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 12:04 am
krollic and Rockyp33 liked
krollic
(@krollic)
Estimable Member

yo can you link or tell us about the kit?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 12:40 am
Pame
 Pame
(@pame)
Trusted Member

@abdulrahman With good muscle tone are you referring to the masseter muscles? Are you implying chewing can help expand the palate?

Also, how do you know your posterior tongue is not fully up?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 5:03 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member

@krollic

It's just some foam and rubber pieces that help in practicing myofunctional exercises. I will post pictures when I get it.

@pame

I am not sure which part are you referring to I think we are mainly talking about the tongue muscles. Massater muscles are also important in keeping a balanced occlusion between the upper and lower jaws. Without strong massater muscles the lower jaw will drop and with it the tongue.

You can tell the posterior tongue is engaged when it touches the soft palate. Unlike the hard palate it's far back and has many features and shapes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 10:43 am
Pame
 Pame
(@pame)
Trusted Member

@abdulrahman

Doesen't seem like the quote function is working atm but I was referring to this part:

"Correct maxillary arch development
requires good muscle tone and broad tongue to palate posture (figure IV/42 -1). Good muscle tone without tongue-to-palate posture is able to maintain quite a broad dental arch but will not take the maxilla forward and is likely to be associated with class I deep bite, class II division 2 or a class III malocclusion. Many Japanese and Korean people have this problem with a broad palate but retruded maxilla. In these cases the maxilla will be back with an increased Indicator Line. This is another important concept to understand and may be related to language as well as ethnicity."

"It's possible that I have developed enough muscle tone to experience arch widening without having full tongue posture. Given that I am able to swallow properly now and my facial muscles are dystrophying this can make sense."

And spesificially : "good muscle tone without tongue-to-palate posture is able to maintain quite a broad dental arch..."

Strong tongue muscles shouldn't matter if the tongue isn't up on the palate? If the tongue isn't engaged on the roof of the mouth its not really doing anything.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 11:02 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member

@pame

"Strong tongue muscles shouldn't matter if the tongue isn't up on the palate? If the tongue isn't engaged on the roof of the mouth its not really doing anything."

It does, when swallowing, it pushes up against the palate firmly several hundred times a day. I think that is what Dr. John Mew is alluding to.

PS. can't upload the picture until the edit function is fixed, is @TGW aware of this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2019 10:13 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register