NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

What was the consensus on face pulling then?  

RSS
PolHolmes

This has become quite controversial, with two polar opposite sides. One side said it ruined their face, and another saying that it increased facial growth more than anything. Do people on this fourm still perform it?

Posted : 30/04/2019 4:10 pm
scerif
Eminent Member

Bump!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2019 7:34 pm
Arkey

As far as I could tell, the general consensus is that proper facepulling was dangerous, and not necessarily worth the results. The gains made can be lost as the tongue doesn't have the strength to support the expanded arches.

So people that have facepulled have said that tongue strength is enough. That it's the more sustainable option because as your tongue grows in strength it applies more force to your palate, and keeps pushing it outwards. The growth will not retract because your tongue is there to keep pushing outwards.

Facepulling is attractive because it's a quick fix. Not neccesarily because it's effective.

The only facepulling that I have heard of being used more productively, is thumbpulling. This as a means to expand very narrow palates just so that the tongue can initially fit in to start the process.

- Mewing for 6+ months
- IMW: 35mm (no expansion)
- Sleep on the floor without a pillow
- Tape mouth at night
- Continue to emphasise chin-tuck/occipital drive for extended periods
- Chew Mastic Tears for 1 hour every other day

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 2:58 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Too dangerous. Effective - but to what effect? I do it a lot. Very small adjustments...near constant change. However, I know what the crap I’m doing. To get to that point...there’s a lot of steps, research, trial & error. It is not for the oblivious - that’s for sure. Definitely effective. A few seconds here or there..wait several days. Definitely not for the impatient.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 10:28 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Facially, I am figuring things out and sharing them. Food is huge. So big. Food is tricky, but fun.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 10:30 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Food is safe. Facepulling can relapse. Food is slower change...less dependent on disarticulation...more slow shaping. I seriously need to read the Dental Diet. Vitamin D & exercise are so important. Here’s the thing about it...KNOWING that something is good for you can get you a gold star by your name. Actually getting results, though, requires action.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 10:37 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Many people think...I already KNOW exercise is good and a good diet is important. Knowing is useless until you act. There are no health benefits reaped by knowing something that requires action is good. I made 0 money on knowing Etherium was awesome at $12/hr. Knowing that Invisalign, Smile Direct Club and Danaher’s new dental IPO-spin are good investments isn’t going to bring in the returns. Knowing is not half the battle...it’s finding the battlefield. Time to take action.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 10:44 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Don’t pull a Kasich. Kasich left the Presidential race when Cruz dropped out. If he really wanted to be president, he would have remained in the race. He just wanted to look cool & do stuff.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 10:47 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Sometimes honesty is not the best policy, though. Dennis Kucinich in a presidential debate talked about a UFO encounter. Maybe too soon? A woman in Florida is running who was abducted be aliens but says it doesn’t define her. Maybe I shouldn’t say what I think will happen to the stock market...just shut up and buy!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 11:01 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

dark [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] you talking about man

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2019 12:43 am
elevee
Trusted Member

"As far as I could tell, the general consensus is that proper facepulling was dangerous, and not necessarily worth the results. The gains made can be lost as the tongue doesn't have the strength to support the expanded arches."

I'm not sure that is the consensus. I'd read back in threads on this issue, and maybe PM folks who seem to have a lot of experience. Not everyone jumps in on these open request for info threads, esp. those who have been here a long time/seen it all/written extensively about a topic already.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2019 9:21 am
scerif
Eminent Member

@elevee

I'm not sure that is the consensus. I'd read back in threads on this issue, and maybe PM folks who seem to have a lot of experience. Not everyone jumps in on these open request for info threads, esp. those who have been here a long time/seen it all/written extensively about a topic already.

So what do you think about thumb pulling?Have you learned something useful from experienced users, such as on which part of the palate to do it, with how much strength and for how long?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2019 4:49 pm
elevee
Trusted Member

Yes, there are a few really good threads you can find by searching 'thumb pulling'--one very long thread in particular. I was surprised that many of the folks talked about actually manually manipulating the nasopharyngeal passageways, and I loved some photos of a mama working on her kids' palate and getting great results.

Arkey may have seen things that I haven't--but when I searched thumb pulling I didn't see the conclusions they mentioned. I agree though that I would not use makeshift appliances like plastic bags or belts. Using your own body parts on your body (getting double feedback) seems like it would be a lot less likely that you would damage yourself.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2019 7:53 pm
scerif liked