NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

What makes the wide jawline look?  

RSS
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

I noticed a lot of attractive people have this. Is it all about masseter size, or mainly mandible with? The first guy (Bryce Alakai) seems to have a quite normal sized mandible, yet a very wide jaw.

Posted : 19/06/2019 1:09 pm

I believe the span of the jawline is increased by developing the masseter muscle.  Young Brad Pitt even seems to be tensing his masseter to enhance his. And some people do say their jaw was improved by chewing.

Mandible will also have an effect. Other structures will have an effect too. Big cheeks from fat and hypertrophied buccinators would make the jaw span look proportionally smaller and less sharp, too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2019 2:13 pm
Pame liked
Fknasymetries
Eminent Member
Posted by: Pame

I noticed a lot of attractive people have this. Is it all about masseter size, or mainly mandible with? The first guy (Bryce Alaki) seems to have a quite normal sized mandible, yet a very wide jaw.

Yep you got it, that's what i was talking about in the MSE thread. Most of the aesthetic changes are due to muscle hypertrophy or atrophy. That's why peoples just putting an appliance in their mouth don't get really visible changes and peoples getting jaw surgery still don't look good. Most of the width is coming from the muscle, not the bone.

Barry eppley performs an aesthetic surgery to reduce your head width by removing a portion of the temporal muscle. He says that most of the head width comes from muscle thickness rather than the skull itself. Same goes for the Masseters, that's why all the ignorants saying "a square jaw is a sign of  high T" are not completly wrong, someone with high T builds muscle a lot more easily than someone with lower T. Masseter hypertrophy also makes your gonial angle appear closer to 90 degree, that's something you can observe in many models and short period of time mewing transformations.

The only issue is that if your jaws are too far back and you start chewing heavily you will:

-hurt your TMJ

-not be able to recruit your massters correctly and thus will get temporal muscle hypertrophy instead which will make your jaw appear even smaller, ofc your masseter will still get a bit wider but basically it will makes this "something seems off" effect

-moving the bones just a little bit changes the shape of the muscle (talking about facial assymetries for exemple) and once again may f*ck up or unf*ck the balance between left and right masseter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2019 3:49 pm

Posted by: Fknasymetries

The only issue is that if your jaws are too far back and you start chewing heavily you will:

[...]

-not be able to recruit your massters correctly and thus will get temporal muscle hypertrophy instead which will make your jaw appear even smaller, ofc your masseter will still get a bit wider but basically it will makes this "something seems off" effect

How can a person check whether this is happening to them?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2019 4:08 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

@fknasymmetries Can you explain to me what correct masseter recruitment is? And I'm not sure if you can change the insertion of your muscles.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2019 8:49 pm
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member

Interestingly how also, if you look at Brad Pitt's side profile (even from his younger years), his midface / maxilla is not very forward-grown. Yet his lower third (front profile) is exceptional

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 3:48 am
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

@transportationyuppie Im guessing cheekbone width also plays a role. This guy has pretty insane masseter development, yet his jaw doesen't look the same as the other guys. His mandible is quite wide too though, which I believe contributes to the different look.

Also Im wondering if this Bryce Alakai guy chewed gum non stop growing up or what lol. Just take a look at his instagram. His jawline is insanely wide, I've never seen anything like it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 3:57 am
Fknasymetries
Eminent Member

Yeah my bad i was tired yesterday and  english isn't my native language. i corrected this in my first post. What i mean is that in the case of seomeone with a loopsided jaw, one masseter becomes shorter and one longer. 

As for recruiting them correctly, basically if you are forward grown enough, it doesn't cause any problem. The masseter should be your main chewing muscle and the temporal muscle secondary, not the other way arround. If you are feeling extreme contraction of your temporal muscle when chewing and not that much on your masseters, then something is wrong

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 4:39 am
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

I was beginning to suspect that you may have been talking about lopsided jaws, and that statement is true. I sadly have a lopsided jaw and because there is a smaller area for masseter to attach to it will be smaller than the other.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2019 8:14 am