Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

What is wrong with my face? (pics)

hello123g

Hey Guys,

I'm 20 and never did mewing until the last 2 weeks.

At the Age of 12 I had an overbite so my orthodontist pushed my jaw back. 

I'm not sure if mewing could help. I mean my jaw did really grow downwards I guess.

https://imgur.com/a/KNXTo21

What do you think?

Topic starter Posted : 14/01/2019 2:40 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Go to an airway focused orthodontist.  Where are you at?!?!?!  Your orthodontist is old-school.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 3:06 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Why the freak did he push your maxilla back??? He could have easily brought your mandible forward at age 12.  I literally would sue.  Usually 2 year statute for most U.S. states once you turn 18.  Unfortunately, unless he carries liability insurance then he'd fight back hard.. so getting a lawyer is tricky... especially in showing damages.  Any TMJ issues?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 3:10 am
Mewb liked
darkindigo
Reputable Member

If you decide to sue... you need to act fast.  Lawyers like time.  Usually they won't accept a case without 6 mo. before statute runs AND you need someone to represent for orthodontia.  I sincerely wish you healing.  I am not sure your options.  Any mental health issues?  You really could use a CBCT.  That bozo should be shut down... thing is he may try to use standard of care defense.  Not advancing a mandible jn a 12 year old is inexcusable.  That defense may work for someone older... but not 12!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 3:16 am
hello123g

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your answers!

I'm located in Germany. Dr. Mike Mews technique is barely known by anyone here as far as I know sadly. I just found Dr Mike and How mewing works a few months ago.

I had braces for almost 6 years (age 11 til 17). The main focus was to "correct" my overbite so he pushed my jack back.

He didn't even realize that I had wrong tongue posture and everything.

I'm 20 now and just realize what he had done wrong. Just everything!!

I hope mewing will help.

Thanks  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/01/2019 3:24 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

You're a gorgeous girl... so please don't take what I said as bad.  Thing is... orthodontists are trained to put everyone in a class one dentition.  However if you watch Dr. Mahony’s answer to the 11 min mark question at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1UiR7VAR-4&app=desktop then you will see just how easy it is to bring the mandible forward.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 3:31 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

If my daughter had this happen.. and was 19.. I wouldn’t particularly sweat it.  Get RPE and McNamera facemask.  Assuming no teeth were pulled out...  advance that maxilla back.  If my daughter had teeth extracted, I would consider AGGA/FAGGA/CDA possibly.  It totally depends on the CBCT.  The main problem that would be run into is few if any orthodontists will intentionally put anyone is class 2. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 3:36 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

So my maxilla actually retruded with attempts at Mewing.  I have no idea if it actually works... Did you notice any changes in energy or mood following the retraction?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 3:43 am
hello123g

When did you start mewing? Hmm..shouldn't your maxilla protrude by mewing? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/01/2019 4:17 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. You mentioned that the doctor pushed your upper jaw back, did he extract any teeth, if so which ones?

Your face is not bad, but the upper jaw looks long and the lower jaw looks retruded.  Some of your facial muscles look hypertrophied (enlarged). 

Given you started braces very early it's very likely your upper jaw (maxilla) has changed, not just the teeth bone (alveolar ridge).

That's hard to fix compared to teeth bone. How is your mewing, are you able to posture your tongue on the roof of your mouth and apply suction?

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 5:29 am
hello123g

Hello,

thanks for the welcoming!

My orthodontist pushed my lower jaw back because of my overbite. My denist extracted 4 teeth. But I can't remember exactly why he did that. Sorry.
Mewing:
Yes I started mewing 2 weeks ago. At first it was very hard and uncomfortable to swallow right and to push my tongue upwards.
But I noticed that it got easier. I enjoy breathing through my nose and my tongue is now automatically on the roof of my mouth. The problem is just I don't know if mewing will work. As you could see my profile is very hard to fix.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/01/2019 5:54 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: hello123g

My orthodontist pushed my lower jaw back because of my overbite. My denist extracted 4 teeth. But I can't remember exactly why he did that. Sorry.
Mewing:
Yes I started mewing 2 weeks ago. At first it was very hard and uncomfortable to swallow right and to push my tongue upwards.
But I noticed that it got easier. I enjoy breathing through my nose and my tongue is now automatically on the roof of my mouth. The problem is just I don't know if mewing will work. As you could see my profile is very hard to fix.

That's odd, with an overbite usually the upper jaw is pushed back not the lower. Which teeth were more forward before the treatment, the top ones or upper ones? 

It's a good sign that you are able to make this adaptation that quickly. Mewing can help you close an overjet, which I suspect you have. It can also widen your arch. As for changing the skeletal bones of the upper and lower jaws, that's a different story.

Dr. Mew made allot of vague claims about that but never showed any successful adult cases.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 9:11 am
hello123g

Update:

I got an appointment at Wednesday from Dr. Smith who is the only LVI-trained dentist in Germany. He does also orthotropics. 

We'll see if there's anything he can help with my facial structure.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/01/2019 2:35 pm
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

Are you sure you don't mean an underbite? That would make more sense, especially if he pushed the mandible back.

Anyway at least you don't have anything seriously wrong with your face aesthetically, you look perfectly normal to me. I'd focus strictly on your bite, your airways and any TMJ symptoms you might have. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 3:14 pm