Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

What is the difference between the symptoms of a downswung maxilla and the Symptoms of a recessed maxilla?  

RSS
Deadlygigacel

Posted : 02/08/2020 1:16 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

What would the difference even be? I have only seen people use the terms interchangeably.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 5:04 pm
aphoria

I think crooked teeth and nasolabial folds indicate recessed maxilla while nose hump and gummy smile indicate downswung maxilla.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2020 10:13 am
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member
Posted by: @aphoria

I think crooked teeth and nasolabial folds indicate recessed maxilla while nose hump and gummy smile indicate downswung maxilla.

I feel like I don't fit into any of these neat categories. I've been told I have "good bone structure" - I have very deep set eyes, a brow ridge, forward grown orbitals and wide cheekbones, hollow cheeks, sharp jawline etc. I have a 45 degree cheek slope indicating good forward growth and my mouth area sticks out almost like a chimp's, no nasolabial folds at all (even when I was heavier). 

BUT.....I also have a very big nose with a hump in it, and a gonial notch - my gonial angle could be a little smaller, ideally. This would indicate downward maxillary growth, but I don't have a long philtrum (it lengthened a couple of mm with age but that's about it), and I don't have any gum show when I smile (dentist told me my top teeth were in the "perfect" position). Also, my nose, whilst very large and projecting, doesn't have excessive vertical height so I don't have that "long midface" look. 

So it would appear that I exhibit signs of good bone structure and forward growth, while still exhibiting a couple of the things which are usually symptomatic of bad or recessed bone structure. This got me to thinking, maybe the whole concept of "recessed" or "underdeveloped" can actually pertain to a failure to live up to one's genetic potential, rather than some absolute measure of growth or recession. In other words, maybe even though I have what is objectively decent forward growth, I exhibit other signs of recession because my genetic potential was to have even better forward growth. And even though I have a good jawline (it look similar to Sean O'Pry's, but he has a stronger chin), my "recession" means that I didn't get an even better one

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2020 10:52 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

These terms aren't even scientific. I prefer the term CFD

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2020 3:13 pm
cliffbars

@aphoria aren't crooked teeth also the result of an overly narrow maxilla, which causes them to crowd/ become crooked? Or does forward growth suffice for enough space for teeth to align in a healthy manner?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2020 1:59 pm
aphoria

@cliffbars

Yes, I think you are right.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 1:49 am