Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

What is the correct way to chew gum? - All factors  

RSS
4WardGrowth

Forgive the newbie question. I am trying to understand all the factors that go into chewing properly for optimal facial aesthetics.

• Where should the gum be placed, on the very back molar?
    • My wisdom teeth are coming through so i'm not sure how this affects things. My top right wisdom tooth is halfway out and my bottom right wisdom tooth is just breaching the gums. 
  • What is the correct body posture to have when chewing? and how does this affect the facial muscles engaged?
    • Should I be attempting a mackenzie chin tuck while sitting perfectly upright while chewing? 
  • Are there any strategies to stop the rest of the mouth muscles engaging when chewing?
  • Am I aiming for a primarily temporalis or masseter chewing pattern? Or does this not matter?

I'm 20 and have a long face and a narrow/arched palate, i'm not extremely recessed but my forward growth could be better. I purchased mastic gum and tried chewing large pieces evenly across both sides of my face 1 hour a day for a couple weeks. I didn't attempt to engage any specific muscles or assume correct posture. The result was horrible aesthetically my face just looked bloated and it made me significantly more unattractive. Thankfully after stopping all gum chewing my face has returned to baseline over a few weeks. I would like to reattempt mastic gum chewing with the correct posture and muscle engagement.  

Sidenote: From December-January I switched from vaping to nicotine gum and was chewing small pieces for up to 8 hours a day. The improvement from this was significant and aesthetically pleasing. I stopped this though because I didn't want to give myself TMJ and I thought harder chewing for a shorter time was better for my face. From January to March my face returned to baseline again and that's when I tried Mastic gum. 

Posted : 07/06/2020 1:45 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @4wardgrowth

Forgive the newbie question. I am trying to understand all the factors that go into chewing properly for optimal facial aesthetics.

• Where should the gum be placed, on the very back molar?
    • My wisdom teeth are coming through so i'm not sure how this affects things. My top right wisdom tooth is halfway out and my bottom right wisdom tooth is just breaching the gums. 
  • What is the correct body posture to have when chewing? and how does this affect the facial muscles engaged?
    • Should I be attempting a mackenzie chin tuck while sitting perfectly upright while chewing? 
  • Are there any strategies to stop the rest of the mouth muscles engaging when chewing?
  • Am I aiming for a primarily temporalis or masseter chewing pattern? Or does this not matter?

I'm 20 and have a long face and a narrow/arched palate, i'm not extremely recessed but my forward growth could be better. I purchased mastic gum and tried chewing large pieces evenly across both sides of my face 1 hour a day for a couple weeks. I didn't attempt to engage any specific muscles or assume correct posture. The result was horrible aesthetically my face just looked bloated and it made me significantly more unattractive. Thankfully after stopping all gum chewing my face has returned to baseline over a few weeks. I would like to reattempt mastic gum chewing with the correct posture and muscle engagement.  

Sidenote: From December-January I switched from vaping to nicotine gum and was chewing small pieces for up to 8 hours a day. The improvement from this was significant and aesthetically pleasing. I stopped this though because I didn't want to give myself TMJ and I thought harder chewing for a shorter time was better for my face. From January to March my face returned to baseline again and that's when I tried Mastic gum. 

I have some good experience with chewing. I'd say you shouldn't chew.

The only positive effect of chewing is facial widening(zygo development).

The negative effects are : palate moving backwards, lower third and mid third decrease in size, especially teeth get pushed into gums which causes bite shortening, clockwise maxilla rotation, TMJ, relative eye distance becomes smaller compared to total facial width, teeth become messed up.

There's evidence in my claim :

1) Look at people with bruxism, they rarely look good, face looks bloated, wide and short. Especially lower third and mid third look very shortened.

2) Almost all celebrities or models don't chew like crazy, in fact most of them eat less food to maintain less weight which means they're chewing less than average person.

I think the difference is even more apparent between apes and humans, apes chew a lot but barely use their tongue, humans use their tongue a lot but barely chew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2020 11:10 am
Basim
Eminent Member

@auxiliarus So how do get Masseter hypertrophy without causing the side effects you mentioned. And you say tongue chewing is better than molar chewing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2020 12:28 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @basim

@auxiliarus So how do get Masseter hypertrophy without causing the side effects you mentioned. And you say tongue chewing is better than molar chewing?

Don't? Why would you want masseter hypertrophy? Unless your zygos are way too wide, I fail to see why gonial width would be important to you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2020 1:00 pm
Basim
Eminent Member

It’s not really the gonial width I’m looking for. I’m trying to lengthen my ramus while hypertrophy my masseters to create the hollow cheek look

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2020 8:37 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @basim

It’s not really the gonial width I’m looking for. I’m trying to lengthen my ramus while hypertrophy my masseters to create the hollow cheek look

Why do you think hollow cheeks come from masseter thickness or ramus length? To me it looks like hollow cheeks come from hypertrophy of the zygomaticus major and very low body-fat. People with hollow cheeks are usually very thin, I've calculated most models to have around 6-7kg of fat in their body total. For comparison, I have around 14-16kg of fat in my body, which is probably average for my height.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2020 7:01 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus The zygomaticus is exactly where the contrast shows up, so you're probably right. Any time I've had hollow cheeks (not as dramatic as models) coincided with also being at a comically low body weight.

It looks cool but is kind of weird as an isolated feature when everything else is recessed. I doubt many people think "well, at least I've got hollow cheeks".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2020 3:53 am
PolHolmes
Eminent Member

I chewed every day for almost a year and my masseters blew up, now my face looks blocky and bottom heavy. This is made more obvious by my lack of zygomatic development, relatively narrow interpupillary distance and narrow lips, it has essentially thrown off the balance of my face. It has perhaps shortened my face though, when I smile my chin looks larger and less recessed than what it used to be. 

I suspect that chewing could be an aesthetic improvement for people who are sub 12% body fat though, up until a point of course. Personally I think Mike Mew has overdone the chewing aspect, functional sure, but aesthetically no. Anyhow, I doubt many models actually chew much at all, dental arch and zygomatic width over everything

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2020 8:23 am
PaperBag liked
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @polholmes

I chewed every day for almost a year and my masseters blew up, now my face looks blocky and bottom heavy. This is made more obvious by my lack of zygomatic development, relatively narrow interpupillary distance and narrow lips, it has essentially thrown off the balance of my face. It has perhaps shortened my face though, when I smile my chin looks larger and less recessed than what it used to be. 

I suspect that chewing could be an aesthetic improvement for people who are sub 12% body fat though, up until a point of course. Personally I think Mike Mew has overdone the chewing aspect, functional sure, but aesthetically no. Anyhow, I doubt many models actually chew much at all, dental arch and zygomatic width over everything

Same experience, chewing just bloats face, I've stopped chewing for months now and it's definitely de-bloated, it also seems a bit longer, though maybe I'm imagining that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2020 12:17 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @paperbag

@auxiliarus The zygomaticus is exactly where the contrast shows up, so you're probably right. Any time I've had hollow cheeks (not as dramatic as models) coincided with also being at a comically low body weight.

It looks cool but is kind of weird as an isolated feature when everything else is recessed. I doubt many people think "well, at least I've got hollow cheeks".

Most male models also have very low weight and lowish body-fat. Take Sean O'Pry for example, 1,86m and only 72,6kg. Dude's probably 10% body-fat. This means he only has 7,26 kg of fat. I'm around his height and I have around 15 kg of fat, like literally double his fat amount, lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2020 12:20 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus depends also on which gum you are chewing, it also depends on  which food you are chewing because some foods are high in sodium

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2020 12:24 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @mr-mewing

@auxiliarus depends also on which gum you are chewing, it also depends on  which food you are chewing because some foods are high in sodium

What are you talking about? Are you talking about bloating? I've researched that topic, low sodium diet makes bloating worse long-term and cardiovascular health as well, because of increased output of Aldosterone. The best diet is moderate in sodium and way higher in potassium. Around 2000mg in sodium per day and 6000mg in potassium.

I chewed mastic gum, very hard.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2020 6:12 pm
Gentleman
Posted by: @auxiliarus

2) Almost all celebrities or models don't chew like crazy, in fact most of them eat less food to maintain less weight which means they're chewing less than average person.

They don't have to chew on hard food, they basically have strong bite force. I myself when I chew on soft food, my masseter would feel sore sometimes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2020 5:45 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @gentleman
Posted by: @auxiliarus

They don't have to chew on hard food, they basically have strong bite force. I myself when I chew on soft food, my masseter would feel sore sometimes.

That's not a good argument to make since they chew both less hard food and less food in general. So both intensity and volume are low, you're talking about volume.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2020 8:08 am
Gentleman

@auxiliarus Have you not noticed many actors with decent facial structure always have big masseter muscles. I saw many movies and TV shows where the guy with great facial structure flex his masseter muscle, drawing a line from the cheek bone to the body of mandible--hollowing their cheeks.

And I am not taking about volume, some have the habit of clenching a bit which resulted in the development of chewing muscles over the years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2020 3:54 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus Have you not noticed many actors with decent facial structure always have big masseter muscles. I saw many movies and TV shows where the guy with great facial structure flex his masseter muscle, drawing a line from the cheek bone to the body of mandible--hollowing their cheeks.

And I am not taking about volume, some have the habit of clenching a bit which resulted in the development of chewing muscles over the years.

Many actors are at very low body-fat of 5-12%, so their muscle definition will be high. either way, masseter size is undesirable, botox is basically reducing masseter size.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2020 8:15 am
Gentleman

@auxiliarus My body fat percentage is less than 12%, yet I did't have any muscle definition until I started chewing hard gum for 1 hour almost every day.

Don't forget the gene factor, you can still have nice facial structure with poor environment if you have strong genetic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2020 9:52 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus My body fat percentage is less than 12%, yet I did't have any muscle definition until I started chewing hard gum for 1 hour almost every day.

Don't forget the gene factor, you can still have nice facial structure with poor environment if you have strong genetic.

My personal experience with most people claiming their body-fat is below 12% = they under-estimate their body-fat. Actors have the genes to have less facial skin thickness as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2020 1:38 pm
Gentleman

@auxiliarus I used online body fat calculator, I am not sure if this is accurate or a valid way to estimate body fat percentage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2020 3:21 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus I used online body fat calculator, I am not sure if this is accurate or a valid way to estimate body fat percentage.

Not at all. Even DEXA is relatively inaccurate(5% inaccuracy).

If your body-fat was less than 12% you'd have some of these things :

1. Striated shoulders if you work out.
  2. Very defined back, no love handles at all, even if you don't work-out.
  3. Lower abs showing if you work out. If you don't work out you'll have no more fat on your lower stomach than upper stomach.
  4. Glutes/triceps/stomach skin will be almost as thin as your skin on your biceps.
  5. Your neck will be well defined, different muscles will be visibly seen.
  6. Adonis belt and oblique muscle will be visible unless you're anorexic.

This guide is probably the most accurate I've seen, DEXA scans of atheletes show similiar results : https://rippedbody.com/body-fat-guide/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2020 5:05 pm
Gentleman liked
Gentleman

@auxiliarus one question, you used to chew hard gum a lot, right? Did you do anything to relax your chewing muscles, like massaging or stretching them by opening your mouth widely or yawning? Maybe eating spicy food?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2020 2:08 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus one question, you used to chew hard gum a lot, right? Did you do anything to relax your chewing muscles, like massaging or stretching them by opening your mouth widely or yawning? Maybe eating spicy food?

Yeah I did the exercise where you open your mouth and then with your hand you guide your mouth downwards and backwards, this gave a nice stretch. I stopped chewing cause it decreased my lower and mid face, and caused cw maxilla rotation. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2020 7:42 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Posture fixes first. Worry about chewing until you've developed good skull posture. This way you don't overload your joint chewing the wrong way. This can take years to develop. Chewing isn't guaranteed to work out favorably

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2020 3:04 am
Meowxilla
Eminent Member

Can somebody please answer some concers i have.

So we want less chewing? Even as a male to have V shape instead of U shape face?

Also i have seen claims that chewing too much will cause bone loss and push theeth into gums even more.

I am just trying to understand all changes it can make in face. I need shorter midface and wider zygos and more protruded maxilla. It would be good if somebody answers how would things change on my case then if i start to chew a lot. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2020 9:56 pm
TheBeastPanda
Eminent Member

@eddiemoney can you give me a quick guide on posture, and how to not overload the joint in the wrong way. Also how can I develop the zyogmaticus muscles to get that hollow cheek look? And how can I lengthen the ramus and not get that bruxism look?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2020 9:09 pm
TheBeastPanda
Eminent Member
Posted by: @eddiemoney

Posture fixes first. Worry about chewing until you've developed good skull posture. This way you don't overload your joint chewing the wrong way. This can take years to develop. Chewing isn't guaranteed to work out favorably

What does good skull posture look like, how can I get more visible zygos?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2020 9:13 pm
Lelehorizon12

ive been molar chewing for 2 years now and turns out its bad? why arent we clear on this already? where should you chew for christ sake

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2020 10:59 pm