Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

What is the biggest you can expand your upper arch?  

RSS
JT245

Mine is 46 mm. It was brought up from 42 mm from one month of mewing.

Posted : 28/10/2018 3:15 am
JT245

Can I bring it up to 55 mm?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2018 3:48 am
Halti.H

Wow that's 1mm a week, you expanded fast! How old are you and what was your technique, did you hard mew? Did you push upwards or sideways? Also did you manage to keep the pressure on when you were sleeping?

I think Mike Mew has said that an ideal palate width is in the low fifties. I think your tongue size determines how much your potential is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2018 3:49 am
NeverGiveup

wow it's pretty nice.

What is your age, and do you put the tip of your tongue on the "papilla".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2018 1:57 pm
JT245

I'm 27. I had palate expansion from my ortho when I was 17, but I was a stupid kid then so after he took the appliance off, I never wore the rubberbands to keep the arch from shrinking, and he eventually got tired of waiting for me to do it so he continued on with treatment anyway. So I guess what I'm saying is maybe I just went back to my original width from mewing. 

I measured again two weeks later and haven't made any gains since.

I've been on this journey for a total of six weeks now.

I started off face pulling, but like everyone else I ended up regretting it. I did make some gains moving my maxilla forward but eventually, only my bimax was coming forward and I started getting really bad headaches and dizziness.

My technique: I try to get as much of the tongue flat as I can on the palate, starting with the tip touching the papilla and the back of the tongue touching maybe half of the soft palate. Then I use like a sucking motion with my tongue only and not on my teeth and I push up pretty hard, like 70 percent of my tongue strength.

I don't consciously push sideways but I can feel pressure there from my tongue flattening out.

For some reason, I just can't get my tongue to stay up during sleep, but I did learn to close my mouth, so instead I "cheat" by clenching my teeth which I know is bad but it seems to help the gains stick.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2018 3:33 pm
Halti.H liked
JT245

When I started, I couldn't fit my tongue between any molars. Now I can fit it between the first molars (from the front) and half of the second molars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2018 5:59 pm
sinned
Estimable Member

You can expand to as big as your tongue is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2018 9:19 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

you probabyl made fast gains due to already having good posture

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/10/2018 3:45 am
Ayla31
Trusted Member

It also depends on your genetic potential, I think.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/10/2018 9:10 am
JT245

I will keep mewing, guys. I will be back when more progress has been made.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2018 3:29 am
ImperialMajesty
Eminent Member

The biggest you can expand the palate is the width of the tongue, any more is not stable nor intended for an individual

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/11/2018 11:29 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

how do you keep your teeth throughout the day? slightly opem/barely touching/ clenched etc. thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/11/2018 8:23 am
ImperialMajesty
Eminent Member

ideally they should be lightly/barely touching

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/11/2018 1:25 pm
FutureModel
Trusted Member

From my understanding @darkindigo the reason why results are unstable is because they fail to keep proper oral posture as said by Mike Mew on one of his videos

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/11/2018 3:44 pm
ImperialMajesty
Eminent Member

@darkindigo

Your concern about the gaps between the teeth is valid.  However, probably not likely, as mesial drift ensures that all teeth shift to the front, eliminating any excess spacing problems.  If spacing persists, this is due to a muscular oral postural problem.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2018 8:09 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Dr. mew aims to expand the upper inter molar width to 44mm. 46mm is not far off that. If your teeth are large this is normal.

At which point are you measuring your inter molar width and how?

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2018 11:28 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I am around 45mm imw and my lower teeth fit beneath my upper just fine with nothing being overshot. I could even expand a few more millimeters and still be fine.

Appliances may be too aggressive causing disfigurement however. But your own tongue cannot "overexpand" your palate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2018 1:56 pm