The Great Work Community Chat
Only logged in users are allowed to enter the chat

Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

What is now the TRUE correct way of mewing?  

RSS
Zygos

I HATE IT how People make this case so complex with their bro science

Even Mike Mew itself speaks so much rubbish around the subject

why cant you just clearly explain wich part of the tongue should be on the Roof and which part not?

Posted : 03/01/2019 9:04 am
Sclera
Estimable Member

Because it depends on the mouth. It depends on the strength of your tongue, and what parts of your tongue have that strength or are weak. It depends on your dysfunction. It depends on how long you've held other postures. It depends on the other parts of your body.

I needed to experience it myself to understand better. I spent the better part of a year with improper posture, and it took dedication to understand my own tongue and skull before things made sense. And I continue to learn tiny things that move even more forward from that understanding.

I still can get frustrated when I think about "lost time". But my body is product of misunderstanding, laziness, regression, and mistreatment. I'm being patient to see if the answer is learning, understanding, dedication, and healthy choices.

If you want clear and fast answers, you might find that you need to go to a myofunctional therapist. If you don't want to spend any money, you might need to accept the fact that when you're looking for free information, what you now need to do is pay time and effort of your own for getting the answers that work for you.

EDIT: And the answer is clear and simple, by the way, and hasn't changed as far as I'm aware. Posterior third, mid, and anterior of the tongue are on the roof of the mouth, lips closed, teeth lightly together.

The hard part is getting your body to understand how to perform properly in the ways it's capable of.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2019 9:44 am
Angelina liked
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

"True mewing" can be found in it's original source: Dr. Mike Mew Orthotropics Channel. You won't find answers to everything, but it will give you a basic idea what mewing for adults is like.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2019 10:34 am
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

This is how a developing science works.  We are all still in the hypothesis stage, including to an extent Mew himself.  Therefore there's going to be a lot of conflicting info flying around.

That said, the basics seem to be constant:

- Tongue at the roof of your mouth

- Lips sealed

- Good head posture

Those are all things "normal" people do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2019 2:23 pm
MeMeMe
Eminent Member
Posted by: drunkwithcoffee

This is how a developing science works.  We are all still in the hypothesis stage, including to an extent Mew himself.  Therefore there's going to be a lot of conflicting info flying around.

That said, the basics seem to be constant:

- Tongue at the roof of your mouth

- Lips sealed

- Good head posture

Those are all things "normal" people do.

Proper head posture is absolutely essential. Slight bit of forward head posture and you'll se no results no matter how long you mew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2019 2:54 pm
Buggy
Eminent Member
Posted by: MeMeMe

Proper head posture is absolutely essential. Slight bit of forward head posture and you'll se no results no matter how long you mew.

I'd think driving the tongue into the palate is going to have some beneficial effects even without ideal head posture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2019 6:46 pm
Rockyp33 liked
Sclera
Estimable Member

@buggy My own experience shows this is true, but the benefits to improving head posture were so large for me that I question why other people might decide not to if they are able to fix their own.

The effects that correct head posture have in the tongue manipulating placement of the mandible are pretty big for me. My bite feels more solid, I feel more pressure on my recessed side when my posterior third is up, I'm able to breathe better and more deeply, and I don't strain my vocal cords nearly as much.

Correct head posture can allow a stronger interaction with the tongue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2019 9:49 am
catirl

And what about hard mewing with deepbite guys ?

Where should rest the tip of my tongue ? behind my frontal teeths or at the end of the hard palate ? 

And which part of my tongue should i apply the forces when i hard mew ? with the tip of my tongue or the back of my tongue ? and where should apply the forces forward or upward? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2019 1:01 pm
Sclera
Estimable Member

@catirl, without knowing exactly what oral posture feels like for you right now, let me talk about my own experience, and see if any of it relates to you:

For a long time when I was mewing, it felt like my tongue was pressing uncomfortably against my lower incisors due to my overbite and the horizontal space between my incisors. (Edit: I have only been officially diagnosed with an overbite, but before I began mewing, my lower incisors were 1-2 mm behind my upper, and my upper incisors covered over 1/2 the height of my lower teeth). Whenever I'd try to see if this was okay or bad, I really didn't find any results that gave me a clear answer, and I moved back and forth on keeping my tongue behind both lower and upper incisors resting on the hard palate, or by trying my best to stay comfortable with pressing against the teeth.

After I worked on my tongue strengthening exercises, I was able to lift my posterior third and squeeze my tongue up to my palate and between my teeth. As I kept my head in as good posture as I could make it, I felt my mandible move forward, my bite change, my lower teeth drop a little and my incisors press against each other.  This new position meant my tongue could rest properly without making uncomfortable contact with my lower incisors.

My tongue is strong and flexible enough that I can keep my posterior third on my soft palate, stretch my tongue out so my 1st spot hits the incisive papilla, and I can focus and keep an even light pressure up AND forward with my posterior third, and evenly up with my mid and anterior parts of the tongue. This is the posture I practice now. I can't say if it's the correct one for me, let alone you, but it's proven to be more effective than my previous positions.

I personally no longer hard mew, so I can't answer that part of it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2019 2:45 pm
scerif liked
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

yeah head posture can help substantially if not its like trying to lift weights with improper form or a bad base your not gonna work the muscles correctly and you wont get your maxium force

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2019 4:31 pm
catirl

Yeah @Sclera thanks for answer.

I can do that tontgue posture and im not mewing for more than 1 month. Luckily i have a good mind muscle connection because bodybuilding but im not sure if i have to push forward or upward or focus the forces with my tip to push the hard palate forward or upward  or focus on the soft palate. 

And i agree 200% proper head/neck posture is KEY but proper shoulder and back posture also helps for overall health.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2019 7:31 pm
Buggy
Eminent Member

@Sclera:  Yes I see no reason not to strive for good head posture, but just based on how hard mewing feels for me, my head would have to be in a pretty skewed place to significantly undermine things.  

Presumably many people do not have ideal head posture while sleeping, but one would hope the tongue is on the palate and still having meaningful beneficial effects in terms of palate expansion etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2019 7:57 pm
Buggy
Eminent Member

For me the main limiting factor in getting posterior third up to palate seems to be anatomical rather than postural.  But then since I cannot see what's going on in there I dont really know at what point my tongue is ceasing to contact my palate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2019 8:26 pm
scerif
Eminent Member
Posted by: Sclera

@catirl, without knowing exactly what oral posture feels like for you right now, let me talk about my own experience, and see if any of it relates to you:

For a long time when I was mewing, it felt like my tongue was pressing uncomfortably against my lower incisors due to my overbite and the horizontal space between my incisors. (Edit: I have only been officially diagnosed with an overbite, but before I began mewing, my lower incisors were 1-2 mm behind my upper, and my upper incisors covered over 1/2 the height of my lower teeth). Whenever I'd try to see if this was okay or bad, I really didn't find any results that gave me a clear answer, and I moved back and forth on keeping my tongue behind both lower and upper incisors resting on the hard palate, or by trying my best to stay comfortable with pressing against the teeth.

After I worked on my tongue strengthening exercises, I was able to lift my posterior third and squeeze my tongue up to my palate and between my teeth. As I kept my head in as good posture as I could make it, I felt my mandible move forward, my bite change, my lower teeth drop a little and my incisors press against each other.  This new position meant my tongue could rest properly without making uncomfortable contact with my lower incisors.

My tongue is strong and flexible enough that I can keep my posterior third on my soft palate, stretch my tongue out so my 1st spot hits the incisive papilla, and I can focus and keep an even light pressure up AND forward with my posterior third, and evenly up with my mid and anterior parts of the tongue. This is the posture I practice now. I can't say if it's the correct one for me, let alone you, but it's proven to be more effective than my previous positions.

I personally no longer hard mew, so I can't answer that part of it.

What do you mean you heard the mandible coming forward? Is the movement due to the use of the posterior third of the tongue on the soft palate that moves it forward accordingly, or is it a  real skeletal movement?

And as for the bite, did you solve a deep bite?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2019 6:37 pm
Sclera
Estimable Member

@scerif I didn't hear it, I felt it. Yes, I believe the movement is due to the use of the posterior third of the tongue, which naturally moved the mandible forward due to their attachment -- but it almost seemed counterintuitive since I felt like my posterior third was farther back than it had ever been. Consistent placement of this seems to have retrained my muscles to maintain the location, so I don't consider it jutting.

And it isn't solved, but it is a clear improvement from what it was before.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2019 7:49 pm
scerif liked
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Please Login or Register