Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

What can be done about tipped out molars?  

RSS
Silver
 Silver

I guess I pushed too hard and now my top back molars are pretty tilted out towards my cheeks. It's affecting my bite and is occasionally causing pain, I think, though that could be from wisdom teeth now erupting.

Invisalign? Traditional braces? Seems like any force applied to fix this could decrease transverse palate width.

Edit: my bottom molars are now tipped inward, I think because the tipped out top molars are pushing on them.

Posted : 12/02/2018 12:50 pm
Gregory
Eminent Member

I recall Mew talking about a study in which a person's palate had expanded just by inserting a device into the mouth that would keep the cheeks pulled out and away from the teeth.  The emphasis was that the muscle effect of the cheeks had an impact on tranverse expansion. There may be a way you can use this knowledge to your advantage whilst making a decision.

The methods you mentioned are contenders, but I wanted to add in that piece of info.  Perhaps there is some way to make use of that info! A device or a technique.
What if you utilized a method which forcibly sucked the cheek muscles in more whilst sleeping so that you had some resistant force against the upper molars?

I don;t know why bottom molars would tip inwards.  One potential explanation is that you may or may not be [unfortunately] adding muscle tone to the buccinators depending on your daily habits.  If the the muscles in your face (buccinators being common) are getting stronger -- then it is plausible they would add force against the teeth causing tipping.  On my face the buccinators are more level with the bottom molars than the upper teeth, so based on my physiology it is plausible, but I understand this may or may not apply to you. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2018 9:38 pm
Silver
 Silver
Posted by: Gregory

I don;t know why bottom molars would tip inwards.  One potential explanation is that you may or may not be [unfortunately] adding muscle tone to the buccinators depending on your daily habits.  If the the muscles in your face (buccinators being common) are getting stronger -- then it is plausible they would add force against the teeth causing tipping.  On my face the buccinators are more level with the bottom molars than the upper teeth, so based on my physiology it is plausible, but I understand this may or may not apply to you. 

I'm pretty sure it's happening as I chew. The angled surface of the outward tilted molars pushes the bottom molars inwards. It feels really weird to chew now and I bet it's making it worse! What should I do?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2018 12:03 am
Yay
 Yay

My molars are tippy, but lately I think they’re getting better since I changed to pushing forward with my tongue since the back is so narrow, it seems almost stuck a bit - I’ll keep you posted when I see anything for sure with them 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2018 3:23 pm
a
 a

I noticed the same problem for myself... have been pretty confused about it for a while but never really gave it much thought...

I came to a possible realization while at an event a few weeks ago. I was chewing gum while conversing with a lot of people, and I noticed by the end of the night while I was still chewing that I felt a lot more pressure from my lower jaw on my back molars compared to the front of the mouth. I have no idea what I'm actually talking about, but I think since the mewing is changing a bunch of angles in our neck/head/mouth from changing posture that our muscles are still used to the old ways and our chewing angle is a little off. Possibly the pressure from the lower jaw while chewing is supposed to be more even on all teeth and this is not a problem for most people to do because it is just simply the "natural" way and what they have been doing their whole life...

I will probably start to consciously chew like this and see if it helps... hopefully i don't look like an idiot! 😛

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2018 1:16 am
LemonadeJoe
Posted by: @Silver

I guess I pushed too hard and now my top back molars are pretty tilted out towards my cheeks. It's affecting my bite and is occasionally causing pain, I think, though that could be from wisdom teeth now erupting.

Invisalign? Traditional braces? Seems like any force applied to fix this could decrease transverse palate width.

Edit: my bottom molars are now tipped inward, I think because the tipped out top molars are pushing on them.

Hey man, are you still active on the site?

Your original post was made in 2018, and I have run into the same problem, did you manage to solve it? Are your molars fixed now?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2020 8:34 am
Silver
Trusted Member
Posted by: @lemonadejoe
Posted by: @Silver

Hey man, are you still active on the site?

Your original post was made in 2018, and I have run into the same problem, did you manage to solve it? Are your molars fixed now?

Molars not fixed, but they work just fine for chewing. I was just a little alarmed when I made that post two years ago. I'm pretty sure I'm going to see Dr. Ting in California for MSE and part of his treatment apparently often includes uprighting teeth with Invisalign or braces so they line up after expansion.

I've read that tough chewing can very slowly upright tipped teeth, but that might've been speculation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2020 11:44 pm
Silver
Trusted Member

https://youtu.be/tIpz6pbhDdA @LemonadeJoe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2020 11:46 pm
LemonadeJoe
Posted by: @silver

uprighting teeth with Invisalign or braces so they line up after expansion

So you think invisalign or bracers can upright molars? Idk dude, molars are pretty tough, you cant move them just so easily

Also due to the way MSE functions, your molars will be "tilted" even further. Dr. Ting mentions that most people have molars tilter INWARDS, so it could be a big problem if yours are outwards

@silver

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2020 9:49 am
Silver
Trusted Member
Posted by: @lemonadejoe
Posted by: @silver

uprighting teeth with Invisalign or braces so they line up after expansion

So you think invisalign or bracers can upright molars? Idk dude, molars are pretty tough, you cant move them just so easily

Also due to the way MSE functions, your molars will be "tilted" even further. Dr. Ting mentions that most people have molars tilter INWARDS, so it could be a big problem if yours are outwards

@silver

Braces can move any of your teeth in pretty much any direction. I had a consultation with Dr. Ting and he told me that most of his adult MSE patients have been mewing before they see him and as a result have very buccally tipped upper molars, which they fix with braces. It's not an obstacle at all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2020 10:49 am
mysterecessed

@silver

I managed to tip one of my top molars outward too. How is your treatment going? Have you installed MSE yet?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2020 9:18 pm
Silver
Trusted Member
Posted by: @mysterecessed

@silver

I managed to tip one of my top molars outward too. How is your treatment going? Have you installed MSE yet?

Starting it in a few weeks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2020 10:08 am