Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

What bone remains attached after SARPE/Surgical-Assist-MSE?

Mr_Man
Eminent Member

I'm trying to figure out the main difference, with respect to bone cuts and/or detachments, between a LeFort 1 Osteotomy and SARPE/Surgical-Assist-MSE/DOME.  

I did undergo the former, which required 4 plates along w/ screws.  After doing some research, it appears that the latter does not involve plates/screws (I assume this is partly because they would get in the way of using an expansion device).  From what I can tell, the only bone still attached right after SARPE is the pterygoid junction (i.e. the posterior).  Is this correct?

Of course new bone is deposited where the cuts were, as the expansion progresses.

Topic starter Posted : 17/09/2021 6:49 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member
Posted by: @mr_man

I'm trying to figure out the main difference, with respect to bone cuts and/or detachments, between a LeFort 1 Osteotomy and SARPE/Surgical-Assist-MSE/DOME.  

I did undergo the former, which required 4 plates along w/ screws.  After doing some research, it appears that the latter does not involve plates/screws (I assume this is partly because they would get in the way of using an expansion device).  From what I can tell, the only bone still attached right after SARPE is the pterygoid junction (i.e. the posterior).  Is this correct?

Of course new bone is deposited where the cuts were, as the expansion progresses.

The typical SARPE cuts are the same as LeFort 1 Osteotomy, including pterygomaxillary release. It just doesn't involve the downfracture. DOME is basically the same thing as SARPE, except it uses a bone-anchored expander rather than a tooth-borne expander. What Dr. Moon calls SMARPE (surgery and micro-implant assisted rapid palatal expansion) and Dr. Ting calls MSE with surgical-assist, sometimes doesn't involve all of the SARPE/LeFort 1 cuts, depending on the case. Separation of the pterygomaxillary junction requires hospitalization because of the bleeding risk, so this isn't involved in outpatient SMARPE procedures. Sometimes they also only score the zygomatic buttress rather than making a bicortical osteotomy.    

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2021 3:10 pm
Mr_Man
Eminent Member

Now I'm wondering what's still attached that becomes separated by a downfracture

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/09/2021 11:28 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member
Posted by: @mr_man

Now I'm wondering what's still attached that becomes separated by a downfracture

Yeah, I guess it’s just the soft tissue and any fragments of bone between the osteotomies. You could try asking @sergio-oms.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2021 12:22 pm
Mr_Man liked