NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Walking with an extreme chin tuck is the most effective strategy + explanation for why hard mewing seems to be necessary  

RSS
justdoit

helmut talks about walking in an extreme chin tuck for 2-3 hours every day. I've tried many forms of mewing and I think this one is the best. The pressure in my cheekbones and dull pain in the back middle portion of my hard palate would have me believe I'm hard mewing. But I'm not consciously pushing with my tongue at all. All the forces are coming from the tongue becoming a part of the forces flowing through the body when walking, kind of like current flows through a wire in a circuit. The 'extreme' chin tucking is probably just making my posture primally correct. If this makes me feel like I'm hard mewing, then it explains why hard mewing is necessary to see changes - it replicates the tongue forces that are produced in primally correct posture.

Posted : 18/07/2019 1:02 am
bergamot and Odys liked
bergamot

I completely agree that chin tucking as much as you can and as often as you can is "the secret" to results. It has already worked extremely well for me in what feels like such a short amount of time, just a few months.

edit:

However I also do "hard swallowing", essentially just using as much force as I can each time I swallow. That has made a huge difference too. And certainly I swallow a lot while chin tucked.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 2:20 pm
justdoit
Posted by: bergamot

I completely agree that chin tucking as much as you can and as often as you can is "the secret" to results. It has already worked extremely well for me in what feels like such a short amount of time, just a few months.

edit:

However I also do "hard swallowing", essentially just using as much force as I can each time I swallow. That has made a huge difference too. And certainly I swallow a lot while chin tucked.

I agree that chin tucking is extremely important. However, I want to emphasize on the "walking with an extreme chin tuck" part because walking is the primary human movement pattern. Therefore, this is where we can best learn the correct alignment and force vectors to create on the palate and then apply them back to chin tucking while standing, sitting or lying down.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 5:40 pm
devicem

The way I understood chin tucking is not only that it improves general posture and all those other problems related with FHP, but it also helps the body relearn and readapt to the environmental changes that made it change in the first place. 

Essentially, the way he described it, and I'm paraphrasing, the body adapts to its present posture because its first and foremost function is to breathe, or otherwise you would die, right? Well, if that's the case, then what the body does in an extreme chin tuck position is it adapts to the environmental changes you bring, knowingly this time, so that it, again, can breathe. Very simple. And I believe this is why change is still possible in adults. In theory, at least.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2019 3:24 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

I do this for about 2 miles a day.  While I don't notice pressure in my cheekbones (I'm starting out with less recession than most though), I notice that my tongue posture is perfect when doing it.

If nothing else, every time I walk, I seem to gain a new level of mind-body awareness regarding my overall posture.  Today I realized that my hips were tight.  Imo you can't go wrong doing what you described.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2019 4:33 pm