Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

V-shaped palate

Zaco98

Hi all,

I have been mewing 'within the mouth' for several years now, but have only just started to incorporate chin tucking, postural changes and the other 'systematic' elements to mewing.

My issue seems to be that I have good facial width, but very poor under-eye support / maxilla area. My rear intermollar width in 52mm, however this comes inwards to a 30mm canine-canine width. I feel just by looking that my issue is stemming from poor frontal palate width.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Do you believe there is a way to expand the front dental arch through standard mewing? 

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, I have been unable to find anything on this specifically. Also please excuse if I have not given enough / too much detail, it is my first post on the site.

Many thanks in advance for any replies!

Topic starter Posted : 18/07/2019 2:51 pm
justdoit

How are you measuring the intermolar width? There's many standards of measuring it. Mike Mew uses the shortest distance between the insides of first molars. 52mm using this standard is really really good, in the same range as our paleolithic ancestors. So you shouldn't really have a V-shaped arch at this point. Therefore I suspect you're using a different standard, like the largest distance between the outsides of first molars or something.

There's been several transformations in Adult Case Discussions over here where people have increased their IMWs well into adulthood. The two that I was most impressed with are Progress's and Sailor's transformations, but I'm sure they're others. However, they seem to be hard mewing for accelerated results (max IMW increase of ~0.5-1mm/month). Soft mewing seem to produce much slower changes in my own personal experience, probably taking years and decades of time for notable results.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 5:04 pm
Zaco98

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - the 52mm I posted was my rear molar, the shortest distance between my two first molars is about 44-46mm.

I do hard mew whenever I remember, and I certainly do notice a difference in feeling while doing it over regular mewing.Do you know of any recommended ways in which one can actively increase the width of the front teeth? I understand the teeth are all supposed to move together and fall into alignment, but my tongue seems to be exerting a lot more pressure on the rear teeth (which makes sense I suppose because the tongue is widest at the base).

I'll check out their transformations

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/07/2019 6:14 pm