Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Uneven jaw development and possible solutions

9 Posts
4 Users
6 Likes
user919119
(@user919119)
Topic starter

Hey! I’ve been on a bunch of these sort of forums and have been asking questions specifically about asymmetry which I feel have still yet to be answered. I suffer from facial asymmetry, which is purely as a result of poor chewing habits (one side of my face is far more developed than the other).

This has caused me quite significant distress more recently as I’ve become more aware of it, particularly in photos where it is very noticeable.

I wanted to ask whether this is actually possible to be fixed without needing surgery. I’m currently trying chewing on the opposite side of the mouth to the side which is developed, including chewing gum regularly on that side of the mouth but I’m not sure whether this is actually making any progress. If it can be corrected by doing this, will I eventually get to a point where I will have a more symmetric face? Is it even possible to fix this kind of asymmetry without surgery?

Can I ask, to those who might know better than me, whether this muscular asymmetry is affecting other parts of my face, too? My nose and eyes seem different on either side. On my more developed side, my eyes seem slightly smaller (and a tiny bit wider, though I speculate this is an illusion as a result of them being smaller) and my nose also seems wider on my developed side (and a tiny bit more upturned). Is this a result of muscular imbalance?

Are there any alternative methods to correcting this, outside of chewing gum?

Any help would be hugely appreciated as this is something which has been really bothering me and affecting my confidence.

Posted : 27/03/2020 10:29 am
Odys
 Odys
(@odys)

Do not try to map the extent of your asymmetry. An accurate assessment will send you either mad or into the depths of despair. Surgey is something I would advise against in all situations. Unwilling to fully accept the nerve damage they cause surgeons treat the whole thing as an aesthetic  project.  
You will not only have to battle forces throughout your face  and cranium that insist of reversing any mewing progress you may make with your jaw and mouth but persevere. Eventually you will win. If you have the will to win recognise also that the cranio facial asymmetry has in all likelihood created asymmetry all done your spine and throughout your body.

You will make best progress by recognising this and working on the whole issue at the same time. @progress has written some good stuff on his efforts to address the asymmetry holistically.

I think it is the only way otherwise you will achieve progress in your jaw that the twisted accommodations that your body has made will act to reverse the progress you make in your jaw. This will ben dispiriting and ultimately fairly fruitless. Be brave and accept that this is a wholembody job.

Posted : 28/03/2020 5:59 pm
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)

Posted by: @odys

Do not try to map the extent of your asymmetry. An accurate assessment will send you either mad or into the depths of despair. Surgey is something I would advise against in all situations. Unwilling to fully accept the nerve damage they cause surgeons treat the whole thing as an aesthetic  project.  
You will not only have to battle forces throughout your face  and cranium that insist of reversing any mewing progress you may make with your jaw and mouth but persevere. Eventually you will win. If you have the will to win recognise also that the cranio facial asymmetry has in all likelihood created asymmetry all done your spine and throughout your body.

You will make best progress by recognising this and working on the whole issue at the same time. @progress has written some good stuff on his efforts to address the asymmetry holistically.

I think it is the only way otherwise you will achieve progress in your jaw that the twisted accommodations that your body has made will act to reverse the progress you make in your jaw. This will ben dispiriting and ultimately fairly fruitless. Be brave and accept that this is a wholembody job.

This read like poetry

Posted : 28/03/2020 10:38 pm
Odys
 Odys
(@odys)

@eddiemoney I don’t think I have ever posted something with more typos. But it is urgent truth, in my view. I am appreciative of your response. You are one of the handful on here have got it, and have my full respect.

Posted : 29/03/2020 8:33 am
Odys
 Odys
(@odys)

Note also that my old fashioned language comes from the fact that I am old. I am over fifty. I have had many more years to get into a truly dreadful mess. Do not believe that this only works for the young. The work may be harder if you are old, but the body is a wonderful thing and is always capable of repair and regeneration. I have thrown everything into it. I have not recorded my progress in photos. “No photos or or it didn’t happen”- pah. My purpose was to save myself not to be a scientist. This is complex and measuring it might lead to despair and giving up.  I am not fully fixed but I will be. Just persevere. Half measures will avail you nothing.

Posted : 29/03/2020 9:18 am
user919119
(@user919119)
Topic starter

@odys so in other words youre saying that in order to combat it I need to focus on the other areas of my body which are causing it (i.e. posture)? That sounds really interesting. Is there any way to directly contact other members of the forum and/or to view their content? I’d love to speak to @progress about this. Thank you so much for your help. Perhaps my language in my initial post conveyed the wrong message but I would never ever consider surgery. I am just desperate for a solution.

Thanks for your help.

Posted : 30/03/2020 10:16 am
harrykanemaxilla
(@harrykanemaxilla)

@user919119 

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/important-information-on-tongue-posture-body-posture-and-effort-required/#post-19

This topic is a good read. It features @progress and other forum members opinions on mewing and proper body posture.

Posted : 30/03/2020 10:38 am
Odys
 Odys
(@odys)

@user919119 I think it is a holistic job. That your whole body has adapted  to the changes in your jaw. That measurement of intermolar width will be deceptive and maybe dispiriting. Your whole body adapted negatively  to accommodate the  misalignment in your  teeth and jaw. You are not on a quest to fix your teeth. This is the dentist’s misconception. You are rebuilding a mouth. The mouth is very. important to the whole shape of our body. This is why we value facial beauty so highly, and not understanding why feel that it is wrong to do so.The work  is difficult because as your mouth has deformed every part of your body and every part of it dhas shifted to accommodate it, and is reluctant to revert to proper postion. This is the propensity to relapse that dentistry faces, and why they only sell their services as cosmetic ( that is temporary aesthetic improvementJ. This is why we are dispirited. We  are trying to achieve measurable improvement, by IMW, when in fact we are in a quest to change our whole body, and if we do not the accommodations in the rest of our body work 24 hours a day to to undo the we work so hard to achieve in our jaws.

This is holistic work. It is yoga chikitsa. We do not have to be perfect, but we should try to proceed on multiple  fronts. If we do not we will face the dispiriting lack of progress that one part of the body forces relapse on the part that we  work so hard to perfect results in.

i came to this through pain in my sacrum. I am old and married. I did not care for an attractive face. I think of the body as a sheet of chain mail. You  can’t just yank it in one corner or smooth it where it is is lumpy. You have to fix the whole thing. Bit by bit make it all smooth and even.

Posted : 30/03/2020 1:31 pm
user919119
(@user919119)
Topic starter

@odys Thanks so much for your advice. The fact that you are actually posing solutions which don’t involve surgery gives me so much hope you don’t even know. Would you know how I can get started to fix this? What habits should I be adopting to help correct this and what exercises do I need to do to fix this? I am thinking of sending a photo of my face so that I might get a more accurate diagnosis.

Thanks.

Posted : 31/03/2020 2:23 pm

THE GREAT WORK