Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Trying to properly swallow... causing heartburn

TheJonNelson

I honestly have no idea if there is a link, I have also been very anxious over the last couple weeks so maybe there is NO correlation but I see to have a little heartburn during the day since I have been practicing mew swallowing.  Which leads me to believe I am swallowing wrong, or maybe my swallow is too weak? (Because I am overcomplicating it) Is this even possible? I am definitely swallowing, food is digesting fine, but I have a little heartburn (1/10) during the day at night it get to maybe a (3/10).

I have started working out and have been drinking a ton of milk maybe this is why.

Stupid questions but:

How should I be swallowing? Like I try to mona lisa swallow and it seems to work, but should I be focusing on sending the adams apple up or up and back? Or just back.

Is it ok if the food is not on my palate? Obviously millions of people swallow food without it on their palate every single day...

Thanks for any and all help.

EDIT: I might have figured it out.  Going to try this again tomorrow and report back.

This might be obvious for some, but for me it didn't click.  I believed I was trying to swallow up? Rather than swallow and push my neck muscles back and up? Does that make sense? If someone else runs into this problem try what I said here.  Like I said I will update it tomorrow to see if it is better.

Cheers

Topic starter Posted : 06/07/2019 10:14 pm
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Hi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2019 1:24 am
TheJonNelson
Posted by: Kyte

Hi

Thank you for this.  Can you be more specific on which muscles I should focus on while swallowing?  I ate breakfast this morning and I got no heartburn, but my face is sore from swallowing with extra muscles in the face, or maybe it from chewing.

So when I go to swallow, I have these questions.  Which muscles should I focus on using and which direction should they go? So for instance I am taking the Mona Lisa swallow.  I only use those muscles below a certain point in which mew described.  But how am I using them? Straight up? Up and back? back? Sorry if this makes no sense.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/07/2019 12:44 pm
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

It got natural for me, so i can't exactly explain you the mechanics of what I do... I keep the face COMPLETELY relaxed and push the hyoid bone up as much as I can. The feeling I get is the tongue stroking in my throat

How old are you? 

I don't feel soreness , maybe because I am 25

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2019 12:56 pm
TheJonNelson

I am 23, I will try that next meal, thanks.

I think the problem I am having is I am shoving my cheeks or my jaw up to try and compensate.  What does the front of your tongue do?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/07/2019 1:52 pm
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Nothing, It stays on the "spot" after the sweep. Just Do It with saliva... The face must stay relaxed

By the way, heartburn maybe due to something completely different, I don't know

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2019 1:59 pm
TheJonNelson

I am feeling a lot of pressure around my lips and my nose, that is what makes me think I am somehow driving the tip up and forward everytime I swallow.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/07/2019 2:27 pm
TheJonNelson

Just finished lunch.  It was a better experience, though I still feel some light pressure around my nose.  One of the swallow felt very good, it felt like my whole nose airway just opened up on one side.  I still do not have it 100% right like I said but it feels a lot more normal.

For anyone struggling, try this: Chew your food with an open mouth and say the word "choo" while chewing.  The food will gravitate towards the back of your throat.  Then do the mona lisa swallow.  Do not move any facial muscles.  Look about halfway down your neck and say to yourself, "I am going to start my swallow there" I am still trying to understand the direction in which you swallow.  Up and back? Back or up? All in all it felt a lot better.  I will keep updating this as to how I am doing.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/07/2019 4:33 pm
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Good to know! 

However everything is easier than you think, folks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2019 5:31 pm
TheJonNelson

You're right.  I am definetly overcomplicating it.  Either way I just had a banana and it went down kinda funky so idk lol.  Have to just keep practicing, if not see a myofunctional therapist.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/07/2019 5:54 pm
tonguecel
Posted by: Kyte

Hi

wow thats  a pretty interesting gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2019 12:57 pm
bergamot

Are you sure it's heartburn and not acid reflux? Because I've noticed I've had acid reflux ever since I started focusing on my swallowing posture and making sure I swallow perfectly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 2:16 pm
TheJonNelson
Posted by: bergamot

Are you sure it's heartburn and not acid reflux? Because I've noticed I've had acid reflux ever since I started focusing on my swallowing posture and making sure I swallow perfectly.

It more just feels like I have to burp a lot, I don't even think it is acid reflux or heartburn.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/07/2019 10:29 am