Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

To get an idea of how messed up your face is:  

RSS
Yegor_L
Eminent Member

Let's consider the following: People who have truly good forward growth have a flat back of the neck. This is because the Chin Tuck exercise (read: posture) is how your head is supposed to be all the time. Don't consider the chin tuck to be an exercise, rather it is the posture in which your face should look normal in. If you do the chin tuck and see massive double chin and bunched up skin under your neck, this means your face is objectively set back. Your chin should protrude completely normally when in a tucked position.

Really the best thing you can do is to be in a constant state of chin tuck while maintaining contact with the roof of your mouth. The more set back your face/jaw is, the more uncomfortable it will be at first. Good luck.

Posted : 06/08/2020 11:37 am
Progress
Member Moderator

Yes, the same effort that stretches the posterior tongue upward and backward towards the base of the skull also engages the anterior neck, subsequently locking the neck into a chin tuck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 1:44 pm
noises
Eminent Member

Yeah, once your tongue defaults to upright posture (as mine has), simply trying to relax and breathe will pull your head into chin tuck. Doing so has in and of itself been a technique for me although it’s rather taxing because the resulting chin tuck is quite extreme. I also feel the need to bring my sternum closer to the throat when I do this which I suppose is also its correct postural position. Seems like a low sternum will pull the tongue down since they’re connected and make it too hard for a relaxed tongue to stay upright. 

As a side note, this is probably what helmutstrebl does. The very occasional bouts of hard mewing I do, I initiate from this position. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 4:40 pm
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: @noises

I also feel the need to bring my sternum closer to the throat when I do this which I suppose is also its correct postural position. Seems like a low sternum will pull the tongue down since they’re connected and make it too hard for a relaxed tongue to stay upright. 

Agree. Functionally it's almost like everything between the clavicles and the maxilla is tongue, as there isn't clear distinction where the tongue ends and the neck muscles begin. They are all pulling on the same rope. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 6:04 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

The lower third of my face is recessed (as confirmed by posters here) and tucking doesn't create a double chin. I think it used to, when first starting years ago, but I've been obsessed with posture for a long time so perhaps doing it automatically for so long ended up reducing the effect.

By the way, an easy way to maintain better posture when upright is to pretend that you're pointing a laser beam straight from your chest. An osteopath told me that one, it works very well and seems to also level out the head/shoulders.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 6:46 pm
ayla mao

Couldn't agree more. I think we haven't talked enough about mental programming on this forum. What I mean by that is what are the methods to make yourself have constantly good posture, i.e. to make it subconscious. I think most people give up on mewing and call it ineffective because it's hard to fix your body/head/neck posture. And without good posture all they have actually been doing is just weak tip-of-the-tongue mewing which cannot bring the desired results.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2020 2:03 am
Loliboly liked
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

Let me just make a correction here. The chin tuck exercise is NOT how your head posture is supposed to be all the time. Robin McKenzie, from whom the exercise comes, stated that it is an exercise, not a permanent posture. The idea is to help reverse the effects of a forward head posture by doing the reverse. It's a common exercise for neck pain. I have never seen the chin tuck proposed as a permanent posture by anyone except people on forums like this - certainly never by a medical expert. An actual good neck/head posture is probably somewhere between the chin tuck and the forward posture. 

Also, I've seen people with pretty average or below average forward growth who had a straight back of the neck regardless. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 10:05 am
PaperBag liked
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@alphaminus If more attention is placed on raising the occipital than tilting the chin, it should feel and look more natural than jamming the chin backward to force a kind of military posture that nobody actually uses outside of taking "quirky" outtake photos. Not even runway models retract their chin as much as some people claim they do. From what I've seen, they all kept their head level, which is what an occipital tuck does.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 5:17 pm
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member
Posted by: @paperbag

@alphaminus If more attention is placed on raising the occipital than tilting the chin, it should feel and look more natural than jamming the chin backward to force a kind of military posture that nobody actually uses outside of taking "quirky" outtake photos. Not even runway models retract their chin as much as some people claim they do. From what I've seen, they all kept their head level, which is what an occipital tuck does.

Yeah I think even very well developed, forward grown people look recessed when they do a McKenzie chin tuck. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 10:12 am
Oushinuma

@alphaminus I think the reason you see some people like that cause maybe they wear braces which causes their upper side to push backward thus their face does not fully push out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2020 1:10 pm
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member
Posted by: @oushinuma

@alphaminus I think the reason you see some people like that cause maybe they wear braces which causes their upper side to push backward thus their face does not fully push out.

I'd like to see one single photo of someone with good development not look recessed when they do a chin tuck. I don't think it has anything to do with braces. It's because you're pushing your neck and your chin into an unnatural position. Again, it's an exercise and not a posture. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2020 10:39 am
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: @alphaminus
Posted by: @oushinuma

I'd like to see one single photo of someone with good development not look recessed when they do a chin tuck. I don't think it has anything to do with braces. It's because you're pushing your neck and your chin into an unnatural position. Again, it's an exercise and not a posture. 

What observable markers would define the threshold that determines whether someone is in chin tuck?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2020 11:39 am
Yegor_L
Eminent Member

@progress The conventional way the chin tuck is taught is for you to stand up straight with your back against a wall, and push your chin with you hand towards the wall. Mike Mew has a video demonstrating it.

I know I haven't been active on this forum for a while, but I had results for a while where I looked legitimately close to my profile picture, but relapsed a bit during a bad relationship where my diet and overall posture went to hell.

I've been doing the permatuck for like 1 week and I already see massive changes. However this is probably because my face was properly forward already in the past, so getting back to it isn't as hard.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/08/2020 4:31 pm