Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

TMJ and starting mewing  

RSS
arbadou

Hello boys ,

Im new to this forum and mewing in general which i just discovered yesterday and it made a lot of sense in my case . So i have no trouble getting half my tongue up to my palate and applying the suction hold , but the thing is , once i try to do the same with the back of my tongue it triggers my gag reflex and it feels like im about to swallow my tongue .

Furthermore , i have tmj issues for about 2 years now , no pain just clicking i assume im one of the mild cases , and i was wondering if the practice of mewing is not bad for my condition ?

Posted : 23/09/2020 10:59 am
sinned
Estimable Member

If you suction hold then no, but if you hard mew it could flare up TMD. I've experienced it personally, when I'm hard mewing, the force of my tongue literally pushes my mandible down and back, and over prolonged periods of time my TMD flares up, when you hard mew you have to counteract the force of the tongue with the jaw muscles so that the jaw isn't pushed down and back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2020 6:46 am
arbadou

Thanks for the reply !

I understood that i have to push my lower jaw forward then but i cant do it while mewing and keeping my teeth somewhat touching however i can do it if theyre separated a little so i guess thats the way to do . Also my TMD problem is somewhat beginning to disappear i feel since i started mewing ; i mean its still there but i've noticed less clicking since i started 3 days ago which is great  , i feel like im on the right path !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/09/2020 8:48 am