fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

TMD vs Myofascial Pain Syndrome. How to know which one you have.

Meowxilla
Trusted Member

So i have been hard mewing and got pain over my right side. At first i tought it was TMD. But then i researched a bit and found that it's actually an muscle overactivation due to overuse.

It seems i was really "dedicated" to hard mewing past week and a half and it shows as my muscles hurt. But how do i know  it's muscle and not an actual TMD

TAKE EVERYTHING WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. THIS IS MY THEORY. CONSULTS DOCTORS IF YOU FEEL PAIN.

Alright i hope nobody gets hurt due to my theory.

TMJ is a joint. It can have degraded function due to muscles or other factors.

Grade 1 is when you can feel an actual clicking or jumping/poping when you move and open your jaw widely. Pain is not needed for grade 1.

Grade 2 is when your muscles pull disk out of it's socket so hard that condyle is stuck. In this stage you can feel less pain or even more pain then before and your jaws lose mobility.

Grade 3 is when your nerve is crushed and disk too.  At this point you feel almost no pain but bone starts to grind itself and you get symptoms of TMJ arthritis.

Sometimes this does not progress to grade 2 and stops at grade 1 and reverses to normal function. Constant squshing can actually create scar tissue which is almost indentical to your disk. Thus doctors called this pseudo disk.

Now let's look at Myofascial Pain Syndrome.

Underlying cause is activation of trigger points which stimulate exact nerves which then cause you pain in specifc areas.

Trigger points are activated or agitated by muscle overexertion. As you stop overexerting your muscles pain should go away.

These are pain patterns for overexerting most usual facial muscles.

I have expirienced few pain points on temporalis and both petrygoids exactly. I mixed pain inside TMJ as TMD.

However i think that if you overuse petrygoids they will pull disk out and thus causing grade 1 TMD or maybe grade 2 after a lot of time

If you are experiancing crhronic pain you probably have TMD and muscle relaxation might not comepletly reverse your problems but there is nothing to lose. Try to find ways to relax petrygoids muscles online. I don't know any yet since i learned this today. 

Don't forget to talk to  TMJ experts before taking this as a definite help.

Does anybody know how petrygoids muscles work when you are trying to hardmew with posteriord 3rd up?

Topic starter Posted : 22/01/2021 11:45 pm