Forum

A face and skull development community. To send personal messages to other community users or check your own messages: Click on their username and then click on their “site profile” link

Thoughts on the FAGGA appliance?  

(@amber12)
Eminent Member

Someone posted this on BTM

Incredible.

Hi everyone

I thought I'd let you know about an appliance and accompanying technique that is being used to gain 6-8mm of forward growth of the maxilla, INCLUDING the rear molars. The growth doesn't just occur in a forward direction either, but seems to expand the entire bone structure of the face and skull.

The technique is starting to be explored more in the mainstream through the LVI (Las Vegas Institute) training facility, as well as with some Australian dentists. I believe the appliance they use (FAGGA appliance: Fixed Anterior Growth Guidance Appliance), as well as the braces system (Controlled Arch) originates with the US dentist Steve Galella though.

Here's a case study out of Australia which details the process.

http://www.robinatowndental.com/blog/article/jaw-expansion-without-surgery.html

I created a GIF to show her before and after growth.

We may well be on the precipice of some big breakthroughs in the world of facial growth aesthetics. Interesting times.

It basically PROVES that forward growth is possible in adults. If there is a forward push, the entire face moves forward. 🤗 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2018 8:07 pm
Miandra
(@miandra)

Hello, so I've been looking into this appliance for the past month (I will most likely try and get treated using this appliance). This is what I've found out so far through talking to various orthodontists using this appliance.

It helps in correcting facial asymmetry, and in most cases it also expands the air-way in patients, thus curing sleep apnoea in many of them. It  can also change the angle of the jaw, which in turns mean that the lower jaw will completely remodel to your upper jaw. There is also a few cases of patients fixing their recessed chins, and gaining a receding chin after treatment was done. It does not look like it lengthens the face to much. Also, the appliance can expand up to 12mm, there really is no limit to how much you can expand, the 6-8mm on this patient was probably what the orthodontist felt was enough.
Most people who got treated using this appliance also had their TMJ or TMD completely fixed. 

But due to big expansion anteroposteriorly, there is a higher chance of damage done to your roots. However it's a risk worth taking.
And it's quite expensive.

Edited: 2 weeks  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2018 6:10 am
Miandra
(@miandra)

Forgot to add this:

Just like surgery, there is a high chance of relapse after using this treatment. It tries to remedy this using a wire retainer, how effective this is I don't really know. Like Dr. Mew say, unless you also work on correcting the underlying cause, you will most likely relapse. This appliance lets you keep your tongue on the roof, so make sure you also work on correcting mouth posture. (Teeth together, tongue at the roof of the mouth)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2018 6:50 am
(@amber12)
Eminent Member

Attached image since the imgur ones go down

Can you please make it so that we can edit our posts TGW? The option goes away after a few minutes
ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2018 2:15 pm
(@amber12)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Miandra

This is what I've found out so far through talking to various orthodontists using this appliance.

Where are you finding them? When I google it the only people offering are one in Australia (who made the comparison pic) and the original doctor from Texas

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2018 3:23 pm
(@irmathurma)

Does this prove that mewing and proper tongue posture CAN move the face forward? 90% of the resistance to the idea seems to be that adult skulls do not change. This proves that completely false.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2018 8:57 am
(@thor91)

You can look at the https://www.lviglobal.com/     Website for a LVI Doctor that has taken the Full Face Orthodontic Course.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2018 12:54 pm

Leave a reply

Working

Please Login or Register

For research and dissemination I will be collecting in this community the adult expansion, cranial adjustment, NCR, and face-pulling results. I implore our community users to keep accurate records for themselves and others; these can include dental/palate impressions, before/after pictures, X-Rays and 3D scans.

The purpose of this collection is for use as evidence for theories proposed here. This collection will only be re-posted on this community and will not be submitted anywhere else.

For those looking into expansion and movement in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions alone can be very helpful.

If you have successfully completed any expansion/movement of facial bones and have any of the above records, please submit them to the community with your personal story of what you did and what the results were (use multiple posts if necessary). Palate expansion, Maxilla movement up and forward, development of the orbital rims, zygomatic, and mandible / jawline are of specific interest. Please ensure that pictures are taken with the same angle, distance, and lighting: This will allow the community to see sharper jawline, higher cheekbones, decrease in dark circles under eyes, changes in nose shape, a more oval face, and improved symmetry.

If you wish to share anonymously, please send me a personal message and we will arrange an anonymous transfer. If you do not have any records to share,  your personal experience is also very valuable. Please tell us what you have done and what the results were.

Your input could help many, many people