Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

The tongue & the jaw  

RSS
Progress
Member Moderator

All this time I was assuming that the beginning of the tongue was attached to neck musculature, when in reality it seems to be attached to interior mandible behind the chin tip:

At the very least, this gives birth to few questions: if tongue is rooted to mandible, to what extent can simply increasing muscle tone of tongue affect the shape of mandible? Can tongue be used to effectively expand lower arch too? In addition to pressing against palate, how much should the bulk of tongue press against interior mandible?

What do you make of this? Were you already aware of it?

Posted : 29/03/2018 9:26 am
Angelina liked
Sclera
Estimable Member

This is news to me!

I can't speak for the shaping of the mandible, but what I have noticed is that when I press the anterior third of my tongue to the roof of my mouth, it pushes the mandible forward. My overbite improves.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2018 10:25 am
alfio liked
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Yes I was aware of it. In fact it was the main reason behind the lower jaw jutting forward as I understood. Strengthening the tongue will have an effect on the mandible but it's too small to make a difference. The effect will be mostly around the origin point. You can think of it like body building. It does not make your bones wider per say (wrist growing from average 7" to large 8"), it just makes the origin and insertion points of the muscles thicker on the bone to accommodate the extra load.

The one area where you can expect a change are condyles of the mandible. When you keep your mouth closed for extended periods the condyles will remodel to rest at that position. That's the whole point of the Orthotropic training phase. And if you posture your tongue correctly the lower jaw will jut forward naturally and the condyles will remodel to keep the mandible in this forward position too.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2018 11:37 am
alfio and Sclera liked
Angelina

This is new for me, i didnt know that. i wonder what if stretching the root will make the posterior third of the tongue closer to the throat/roof of the mouth?would it make it easiear for the tongue to sit on the palate which is usually high if narrow? in fact there are some exercises i remember from myofunctional therapy video where the girl sticks the tongue out and makes circular movements and other things in order to stretch the tongue. is it a very bad idea what do u think guys? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2018 12:35 pm
Angelina

i have tried to do some movements, its easy for me to move the tongue from left to right while it comes harder to move it from right to left meaning my right side is more tense and needs to be stretched. maybe there is a connection with my assymetry, the right side of my face a little more recessed and more tense. im gonna do some stretching and see what happens 🙂  

@Progress thank you 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2018 12:41 pm
Yay
 Yay

Oh! This explains why I feel it so much in my chin despite trying to keep it relaxed. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2018 12:59 pm
Angelina liked