Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

The Mew Skew - or Death to Death Mewing  

RSS
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Post deleted.

Posted : 07/11/2018 4:47 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

This has been discussed so many times but people keep hanging on to this concept. There isn't a instance where Dr. Mew recommend hard mewing like is being practiced here. The only time I found him talking about hard forces is for learning the posture or function and then reducing the force to a fraction and maintaining it that way.

I think most people are driven to believe in hard mewing because it gives them a sense that something is happening versus gentle forces. It's an illusion and I am glad someone asked about it in the next Q&A.

By the way Dr. Mew got suspended for several reasons some of them are unfair and some are fair such as the one you raise.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2018 6:06 am
Ayla31
Trusted Member

He did mention that the suction hold is a mixture of a suction and a push, in the video where he teaches how to maintain one. But I think that has to do more with the awakening of natural postural reflexes (and not pushing consciously). The tongue is resting while in that position, from what I understand, which is what the orthotropics premise is about.

How much a person feels pressure depends also on how small their palate is, and how big the tongue is in comparison.

But I get what you mean, op, sometimes less is more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2018 6:27 am
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

In the segment of that video you mentioned he discusses that cutting back on retainer wear can cause loose teeth. Do you think that's the same or comparable to creating expansion through hard mewing?

I used to wear my retainer every other day. Once I started mewing I stopped wearing it. I've created quite a bit of expansion in about a month through both hard and light mewing. With all the movement of my teeth, expanding the palate followed by significant rebound, I was surprised at how strong my teeth felt. Much stronger than when I was wearing the retainer.

I am interested to hear what Dr. Mew has to say about hard mewing. I agree that it can be a risky under taking. But it also may be a risk that can produce results.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2018 8:38 am
Halti.H

If someone gets croocked teeth or an unsymmetrical jaw from hard mewing they're doing it wrong. Your bot supposed to push on the teeth at all, and if your face is unsymmetrical it might be hard for you to hard mew in a way that promotes symmetrical growth. The fact that the only people who I've seen reporting DRAMATIC, not just slight results have been hard mewing is enough evidence for me that hard mewing is the most effective way to change your face. And of course applying hard force intermittedly will not help, you the force needs to be constant. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2018 8:49 am
NeverGiveup

I believe in same things, totaly agree with you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2018 9:22 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Halti.H

If someone gets croocked teeth or an unsymmetrical jaw from hard mewing they're doing it wrong. Your bot supposed to push on the teeth at all, and if your face is unsymmetrical it might be hard for you to hard mew in a way that promotes symmetrical growth. The fact that the only people who I've seen reporting DRAMATIC, not just slight results have been hard mewing is enough evidence for me that hard mewing is the most effective way to change your face. And of course applying hard force intermittedly will not help, you the force needs to be constant. 

There is zero evidence, it's all he said she said.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2018 9:40 am
Halti.H
Posted by: Abdulrahman

There is zero evidence, it's all he said she said.

See Jamo's post "mewing doesn't work guys (sarcasm)" he provides picture prood that hard mewing changed his face completely.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2018 9:46 am
Achilles1 liked
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

See Jamo's post "mewing doesn't work guys (sarcasm)" he provides picture prood that hard mewing changed his face completely.

That is the biggest example of this problem. A person posts a very poor before and after and people flock to it as if it's the perfect proof without questioning anything.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2018 10:28 am
Achilles1
Trusted Member

Hard Mewing allows the sutures to be opened for prolonged periods of the day. It also strengthens the tongue to such a degree that it provides a consistent upwards pressure without pause (including night time). In my case, this is with NO discernibly negative effects. 

My tongue is so strong that I am not only seeing monthly changes to my inner U, but WEEKLY changes. I don't care who doesn't believe me, the proof is in the puddin' boyos

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2018 8:37 am
krollic liked
krollic
Reputable Member

@Achilles 

agreed. I can't speak as to whether the increased pressure directly enhances the rate of results but I am certain that mewing hard and thereby making your tongue a lot stronger, is going to result in more consistent forces throughout the day.

when my tongue got stronger ,sleep-mewing became a reality

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2018 1:39 pm
Achilles1 liked
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: ben

I have to politely disagree with this, @Abdulrahman

I am familiar with those pictures and see the differences, but they are not a proof for hard mewing. What they show is some positive changes in the face that are inline with Dr. Mew's description of facial upswing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2018 7:12 am
Progress
Member Moderator

I am growing fonder of hard mewing day by day, and I agree with @achilles1 's assertion that after a certain point the changes become weekly instead of monthly. Here is how much my face has moved upward in just two weeks. The first photo was taken 27th October and the second one yesterday:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2018 5:27 pm
harrykanemaxilla, Halti.H, Achilles1 and 1 people liked
Slinky
Trusted Member
Posted by: Progress

I am growing fonder of hard mewing day by day, and I agree with @achilles1 's assertion that after a certain point the changes become weekly instead of monthly. Here is how much my face has moved upward in just two weeks. The first photo was taken 27th October and the second one yesterday:

Wow that is amazing! Inspiring me to mew hard

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2018 10:43 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

very, very cool. i'm sure someone will say that it's your ears that have rotated and not your face though, lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2018 11:39 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Can you post both pictures separately?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2018 11:52 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

@Progress isn't your head postured differently in the 2 pics though? Not trying to be cynical, just an honest question for learning purposes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 12:08 am
krollic
Reputable Member

drunk w/ coffee; he's matched up the positions of the ears between the images so you don't need to worry about his head/neck rotation

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 12:32 am
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

@krollic I guess I'm confused because it looks like he's doing a chin tuck in one pic and not doing it in the next... unless his jaw moved upwards that much in 2 weeks, which would be insane (and awesome).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 12:39 am
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: drunkwithcoffee

@krollic I guess I'm confused because it looks like he's doing a chin tuck in one pic and not doing it in the next... unless his jaw moved upwards that much in 2 weeks, which would be insane (and awesome).

You are right, the head posture is different. It's like krollic said. I have chosen ears as a visual anchor point, against which changes in the rest of the cranium can be contrasted. With this method, neck angle has become of secondary importance, which does mean that changes in the relationship between mandible & neck will not be as accurate as they ideally could. Not that the beard does any favors either, ha.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 2:50 pm
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

This is one of the questions submitted to Dr. Mew, so hopefully we will have more insight about his position on this topic eventually.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 2:57 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

@progress do you suspect that hard-mewing has aided you in mewing at night? I find that I would wake up with my tongue pushed against the palate a lot more since I started hard-mewing and tongue chewing. I very much doubt that this is a habitual change but more so simply building up strength to the point when my tongue applies appropriate forces without being actively engaged

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 3:12 pm
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: krollic

@progress do you suspect that hard-mewing has aided you in mewing at night? I find that I would wake up with my tongue pushed against the palate a lot more since I started hard-mewing and tongue chewing. I very much doubt that this is a habitual change but more so simply building up strength to the point when my tongue applies appropriate forces without being actively engaged

Possibly. As the anterior neck muscles strengthen alongside with the tongue, there is less tendency to assume sleeping postures where the head moves into an excessively forward position. I think it comes from an overall postural improvement of the upper spine rather than the absolute strength of the tongue alone, since I find that in poor sleeping positions the tongue will still very easily lose contact with the palate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 3:37 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

yeah, more balanced neck muscles are critical. I was interested in learning about exercises for increasing anterior neck strength but people seem to say training the neck can be dangerous for various reasons

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 3:51 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

@Progress gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 4:21 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

@krollic one thing that has helped me a lot so far is walking 3 miles a day in a Mckenzie chin tuck.  I walk a lot anyway for health reasons but I've found that it's an excellent way to develop new habits as you're spending 30 minutes to 1 hour focusing on nothing but training that habit while walking.

Long story short, it's now my natural state to walk with proper head posture/engaged neck muscles.  It's gradually spilling over now into when I'm sitting, standing and sleeping.  Might be something to try.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 4:24 pm
harrykanemaxilla
Estimable Member

What was your technique for this insane mewing and how old are you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 6:48 pm
harrykanemaxilla
Estimable Member

What was your technique for this insane mewing and how old are you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 6:48 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

@harrykanemaxilla @ben One aspect about my current technique that I haven't talked about yet is intentional mandibular jutting. This is something that I have started doing in the past few weeks. As I tuck my head in, I simultaneously extend my mandible forward into a pseudo class III underbite, and press hard against the anterior palate with the tongue so that both the mandible and the tongue are pushing to the same forward direction. This frees the neck to straighten out more than your current occlusion would otherwise allow for. The forces should balance out nicely and you may even feel pleasing lightheadedness as you push on the maxilla. I don't do this all the time, but ratjher for short periods throughout the day according to how I "crave" it. I have noticed that once you begin to stretch the mandible forward, it kind of wants to go there more often. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 7:27 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

Ha, that sounds interesting. At least the teeth feel closer to the tongue, if that is what you mean, since the root of the tongue is attached to the mandible and thus pushing the mandible forward will also pull the tongue towards the backside of the upper arch. I haven't experienced the rush you talk about yet, but it does feel kind of snuggly.

Do you maintain this position at all times? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 8:10 pm