fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

[Closed] THE GREAT WORK Dr Derek Mahony [Full Face Orthodontics] Q&A

TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

Doctor Derek Mahoney has agreed to accept questions and concerns from users on this website. You can find his website here:

https://fullfaceorthodontics.com.au/

You can see a previous discussion with Dr Mahoney by the Right to Grow group here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Id4QKFHkg

This doctor focuses his practice on maxillary development and opening up the airway, often using the CDA Appliance. 

The comments in this thread will be curated and submitted to Dr. Mahoney. If you have ideas or research that you would like his comment on, this is also the place to do it. 

Please do not confuse the AMA session with personal medical consultation with the doctor, his responses are not be considered as medical advise for your specific case. 

Keep the language clean, and post as many questions/ideas as you wish. 

TGW

Topic starter Posted : 03/10/2018 5:01 pm
Apollo liked
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

In a span of 30 minutes Dr. Mahony covered allot of information and answered so many questions so clearly. I am surprised this guy is not more known. I guess he does not try to reach out much to the public.

The CDA looks like a slightly modified version of the FAGGA appliance, doesn't?

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

Posted : 03/10/2018 5:02 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Ngl didn't see much profile improvement in that specific case. Not saying it doesn't work but the guy didn't look all that different.

Rockyp33
Reputable Member

Yeah i believe poor development is actually the main reasons for ADHD social problems etc. Because there literally just not getting enough oxygen so their bodies are in a state of fight or flight all the time gosh its horrible its so so sad to see all these people suffer and have no idea why

TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

@darkindigo

@abdulrahman

@rockyp33

Dr. Mahoney is interested in doing a Q&A. I've merged this thread into the Q&A Sticky

Topic starter Posted : 03/10/2018 5:04 pm
SUGR1

CDA is a Fagga. Same concept different wire design. CDA slightly more stiffer. I am friends with Derek and he is coming around. The video above is his First ever CDA case. 

Posted : 03/10/2018 5:34 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

@admin do i just post questions here?

Posted : 03/10/2018 5:46 pm
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin
Posted by: Rockyp33

@admin do i just post questions here?

Yes

Posted by: SUGR1

CDA is a Fagga. Same concept different wire design. CDA slightly more stiffer. I am friends with Derek and he is coming around. The video above is his First ever CDA case. 

Different manufacturers? Interesting that both come from Australia, one must be an imitation of the other. Derek is coming around to the FAGGA instead?

Topic starter Posted : 03/10/2018 6:12 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

In your Q&A with Right to Grow, you recommend slow expansion for adults at a rate of around 1mm per month, citing the research of Dr. John Mew. You go on to define semi-rapid expansion as 1mm every 2 weeks (suitable for teens) and rapid expansion as about 1mm every 2-3 days (possible in kids). In a video called “Is Palatal Expansion Possible in Adults?” Dr. Mike Mew recommends semi-rapid expansion for adults at a rate of around 1mm per week. Going slower, he explains, can yield more dental than skeletal movement. I was wondering how you are able to achieve slower expansion rates without facing the problem of excessive dental movement and the outward teeth tipping associated with it?

Posted : 05/10/2018 1:36 am
zz37
 zz37

Hello

When I chin tuck, I feel a pressure around my ramus bone from being pressed back into the neck.

I feel like this pressure also spread to the midface/zygomatic area.

I have around 40mm intermolar width, but my face is down swung a bit.

Even if put my tongue away from the palate in this chin tuck position, i still feel the pressure in the midface etc.

Do you think simply chin tucking is enough to create the upswing for the maxilla?

Also, is chin tucking less beneficial if you are laying down on your back, considering gravity forces etc?

Thank you

Posted : 06/10/2018 3:24 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

In adult cases treated with appliances like CDA or AGGA, do you see any remodeling in the cheekbones, nasal cavity, infraorbital area, etc. or are forward changes restricted to the palatine process of the maxilla?

Posted : 08/10/2018 11:54 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Thanks for offering your valuable time to answer community questions. My questions will all be about the CDA treatment with special emphasis on adult patients.

How do you determine the need to expand the maxilla in CDA treatment? Is there an ideal measure such as the vertical indicator line or SNA angle that you attempt to achieve with CDA treatment?

Does CDA treatment provide forward expansion only or upward as well? Stated otherwise, does the mid-face become shorter after CDA treatment?

How does the mandible move forward to catch up with the expanding maxilla? Are there cases where this fail and the patient must under go surgery to expand the mandible forward?

How do you close the posterior open bite that emerges after CDA treatment and is the treatment always successful in correcting the curve of spee?

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

Posted : 12/10/2018 12:58 am
Apollo liked
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

Thank you for your submissions!

Dr. Mahoney has accepted the questions, and we will update everyone when the replies are available. They will be in video form. 

Topic starter Posted : 01/11/2018 6:23 pm