Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

The confusion of photography and lighting  

RSS
Yay
 Yay

Here’s a good reason why having photos done properly matters. The pic on the right is recent, not the left, but it appears like the earlier one is better - but by front photographs (all at a better control and lighting angle) and posture I can surely say it’s not! Same camera, same length! 

https://imgur.com/a/7HdVC

Quite confusing... unless less somehow the front of my face can get better without the profile

Posted : 18/02/2018 4:41 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

Yeah, it's important to take the photo from the same relative position/angle, with the same camera settings and with the same lighting conditions. I try to wait till the same time of day/weather if possible for comparison shots. Not to mention the same location... those different coloured walls are gonna create a massive difference in perceived facial structure. That pink is washing you out badly lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2018 11:04 pm
Jackson
 Jackson

I suspect that you're not raising the back of your tongue enough, as that should cause your submental muscles to flex slightly and your hyoid to raise, of course you don't have a prominent hyoid so there's not really much I can say about that, it would have to be something to feel yourself.

Also you're holding your head in different positions, it looks like you have your chin tucked more in the second photo, which you can tell by looking at the frankfurt plane, so if you were to hold that same position you would have the appearance of more forward growth it seems. It also seems that you have the smallest amount of undereye support but it could also be makeup, it's almost impossible to accurately judge small difference that you could chalk up to makeup, that only drastic difference would be noticeable with it on.

This is also a terrible picture to judge by, and the dimensions and angles, as well as height of camera, and position on the left-right plane are different.

Take better photos and analyze the difference yourself with various measurements using something like Photoshop or some other picture editor.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2018 2:57 am
Allixa
Estimable Member

The after pic is better, you're just being tricked by the lighting among other things. Your profile still needs a lot of work though. Are you chewing yet? Imo you need to expand and start chewing asap. Also what is your diet like? If its not great then changes will take a long time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2018 10:53 am
Yay
 Yay

Chewing is really hard when you’ve got an angle like this - TMJ and joint issues big time! So I stopped. For expansion, I’m just doing it naturally but I am wondering if I simply can’t expand with my lack of width at 31cm - in that case I’d want to probably order the kit and maybe pop it in at nighttime to help me? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2018 1:04 pm
Yay
 Yay

I raised the back of my tongue for one year as hard as possible, but it’s very hard and I don’t know if my tongue can expand the anterior of my mouth - I wanted to stay natural but maybe I do need an expander since my progress is so slow?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2018 1:05 pm
Allixa
Estimable Member

I've got the same width as you and was not able to get any natural expansion with my tongue no matter which posture I tried or how hard I pushed. The expander is the way to go. And yeah, it might be best to just use it at night. I'm sure once you get it you'll figure out what to do. As far as anterior expansion I don't know anything about that. If your front teeth are crowded then maybe you'll need that, but from what I see most people are using the appliance that does posterior expansion. Mew says once you hit 35mm you can start getting natural tongue expansion.

As for chewing, do you not even chew regular food? You don't have to chew hard gums like chios. You can chew carrots, celery, seeds and nuts, crunchy veg, etc. Just chew something. There's other gums too that are softer. One I like is called Glee, made from chicle sap. I've read stories of people who cured their TMJ from chewing.. you gotta chew something. Might be time to push your comfort zone a little bit. Not too much that you cause problems, but just enough to start making progress happen more quickly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2018 2:04 pm