Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

The 14+ ways to mew: A comprehensive collection of different techniques.  

RSS
Loliboly
Estimable Member

This is a collection of my personal experimentation and my current understanding of others ideas, and my attempt to map them out. Depending on how one counts, this amounts to 14-24 different techniques. Please try them out and report what you experience. Feel welcome to discuss all of the methods, and don't be afraid of telling me if your disagree with the description or effect of any the techniques. Hopefully this will clear up confusion about tongue posture for people who are new to mewing and make new ideas flourish.

Edit 1: I forgot to mention: Please discuss which techniques you think would be the most useful, and goals they are best suited towards.
Edit 2: Note that it is possible to experiment various combination of the different techniques. Please experiment and share your experiences if you feel you are finding something interesting.
Edit 3: You are very welcome to share techniques you don't see mentioned on this list. 

The OP will be updated continually if the discussions develops the concepts presented here.

Methods to facilitate mewing

The n-spot

Usually the first step taught to beginners. By saying the letter "n" the tip of the tongue will find its resting spot, at the incisive palpilla. The incisive papilla is often referred to as the "n-spot."

The ng-spot

One of the most common ways to learn to raise the middle and especially the posterior third(back) of the tongue. By saying a word containing the letter"-ng", such as king or sing, the tounge finds its resting spot. The middle goes up at the hard palate and the posterior third at the soft palate.

The g-trick

Helps with spreading of the tongue. After finding the ng-spot, the tongue may be spread out by trying to say the letter "g". Since the tongue is held in place against the palate, the g will be inaudible, but the tongue will spread out as a result.
Thanks to @Adam for mentioning this technique.

Stretching of the frenulum

Increases tongue mobility, which in turn lets it be more engaged at the upper palate. 

Different ways to mew

Incisive/newbie mewing

Only the tip of he tongue is placed on the incisive papilla, also know as the n-spot. It is a common mistake of people who have just heard about mewing to believe that this is proper mewing is.

Intermediate mewing

The tip and middle of the tongue is placed on the roof of the mouth, without engaging the posterior third. Common for intermediate mewers to mistakenly believe that they are engaging the posterior third when keeping tho posture.

The suction hold

Commonly referred to as soft mewing. This is the kind of mewing that Dr. John and Mike Mew advocates. The whole tongue is suctioned up against the hard and soft palate, creating an inter oral vacuum.

Snore mewing

Occurs when the posterior third is engaged, and blocks the airway. May be the true position of the tongue of in a recessed face. Very common for beginner mewers who try to learn how to engage the posterior third. Effective for building awareness of the tongue. Might be effective for training the posterior third and expanding the airways, but is highly uncomfortable and mentally taxing.

Breath/embarassed mewing

Functions the same way as snore mewing, but with less blockage of the throat, while still embarrassing the airway. This results in an audible breath, similar to the sound of a deep asleep person. May be the true position of the tongue of in a recessed face. Effective for building awareness of the tongue. Might have to upsides of snore mewing without the downsides. On the contrary, this can actually have a soothing effect on the mind.

Open mouth mewing

Technique to learn snore and breathe mewing. Also helpful to learn how to engage the posterior third. How to do it: Put the whole tongue or just the posterior third on the roof of the mouth, while keeping an open mouth. Try breathe in through the mouth. You should be able to produce an audible snore. This is snore mewing. You may now close your mouth. Make sure to not change the position of the tongue. If you slightly reduce the blockage of the posterior third, you will end up with breath mewing.

It is important to keep in mind that breath and snore mewing exists on a continuum. It is thus encouraged to experiment with different kind of engagement with the posterior third, to really get to know this important part of the tongue.

G-mewing

Synonymous with the g-trick. Focuses on spreading the tongue laterally across the palate, which is important for its widening.
Thanks to @Adam for mentioning this technique.

Medium mewing

Less intense version of the different kinds of hard mewing. Might just be proper soft mewing, since most peoples tongues are weak. Helmtustrebl stated that he medium mewed when his tongue was too tired to hard mewing.

Center mewing

Also know as “center pushing”, sinus mewing" or "massaging your sinuses". A suction hold at its core. While keeping the suction hold, the border between the middle and posterior third firms somewhat and pushes up slightly against the palatine raphe. This will result in a slight narrowing of the tongue, and less pressure will be felt against the teeth in favour of the palate. This technique may induce very apparent sensations in the nose especially, but also the mid face, forehead and even in the gums between the middle incisors. To visualize where the tongue is supposed to go, slide the tip of the tongue to the border between the hard and the soft palate. You will feel a bump in the middle of the middle. If you start to push, sensations will be felt in the nose area. This is where the center of the tongue will push up slightly.

Hard suction

An strong suction hold. Seems to first have been thought up by @Progress. There are two kinds.

1. Infinite swallow/suction. Feels like the tongue is being sucked down the throat. Imagine you throat being a deep, near endless well with a black hole at it's bottom, dragging your tongue. May engage your neck muscles.

2. Active hard suction. Like an infinite swallow, but with additional activation of the the muscles at the underside of the chin. The muscle activation makes it feel like the tongue is being not pushed but supported against the upper palate. Creates an inward curve at the border between the chin and the hyoid bone. This curve can also be observed when swallowing or holding ones breath.

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/have-you-experimented-with-hard-suction/#post-30743

Hard mewing

Hard mewing is generally understood as deliberate pushing of the tongue into the palate. The direction of the push may be forwards, upwards or in both directions. Forwards movement seems to be what causes the infamous bulge beneath the chin. May be more effective to speed up facial growth. It has been hinted that Mike Mew, while being a proponent of soft mewing, thinks hard mewing may be an effective way to ingrain the habit of proper tongue posture.

There are different forms of hard mewing. The differences between them has to do with what part of the tongue that is in contact with the upper palate and what parts exert the pushing force.

1. Hard tip/incisive mewing

As in incisive mewing, only the tip is in contact with the upper palate and pushes hard into the n-spot. The rest of the tongue lies at the floor of the mouth.

2. Hard intermediate mewing

As in intermediate mewing, the tip and middle of the tongue is in contact with the upper palate. There are three versions.

a) The force is focused solely on the tip

b) The force is focused solely on the middle

c) The focus is focused on both the tip and the middle.

@Azrael reported splitting his mid palatal suture with technique a), combined with block mewing. 

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/midpalatal-suture-split/

3. Hard back mewing

The whole tongue is in contact with the upper palate. The force is focused solely or mostly on the posterior third. This is the technique @helmutstrebl has reported to be using.

4. Full hard mewing

The whole tongue in in contact with, and pushes hard into the whole of the upper palate.

Block mewing

An extreme kind of hard mewing. Is also found on the extreme end on the continuum along breath and snore mewing. After swallowing, the tongue is kept in place and pushing hard into the roof of the mouth, thus completely blocking the airway. May induce various kinds of sensations in the the whole of the face. 

@Azrael reported splitting his mid palatal suture with this technique, combined with hard intermediate mewing(version a). 

Hard mewing 2.0

Combination of the infinite swallow/active hard suction, center mewing and hard back mewing/full hard mewing. A very intense version of hard mewing. In addition to all the sensation its constituents induces, it also makes it feel like the cranium is being lifted away from the cranium. While somewhat different, @achilles1 described a similar technique in his 18 month progress report.

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/18-months-of-progress/

Kechari mudra

Khechari mudra is an advanced yoga practice that involves extending the tongue behind the uvula above the soft palate into the nasopharynx. Numerous benefits have been attributed to this practice, ranging all from the from improved function of the tongue, to improved facial growth to spiritual enlightenment. Since it is such a broad practice with potential benefits, readers are encouraged to explore this technique further on their own. Thanks to @Apollo and @Progress for mentioning this technique. 

Nabho mudra

Also know as "pocket mewing" or "the pocket". The first stage of kechari mudra, which involves putting the tip of tongue at the tip at the soft palate. Very effctive for stretching the frenulum and strengthening the tongue. May temporarily increase saliva production, which helps reliving a dry mouth. Good for exploring the palate in general.

Thanks to @RamonT and @Apollo for mentioning this technique

Posted : 05/05/2020 7:42 am
Autokrator, Yusu, RamonT and 3 people liked
Topic Tags
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @loliboly

Block mewing

An extreme kind of hard mewing. After swallowing, the tongue is kept in place and  pushing hard into the roof of the mouth, thus completely blocking the airway. May induce various kinds of sensations in the the whole of the face. @Azarel reported splitting his suture with this technique.

Block mewing, okay 😄

But I have to say that I didn't get any sensations anywhere in my face. Also, the posterior third (and the middle third, possibly) comes down when I need to breathe (since I can't mew while breathing, yet).

Also, where's DeathMewing™? 😁

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 7:59 am
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@azrael
The sensations are my own experience. However, I seem to have been susceptible to them in general lately. And I don't think you are holding your breath all the time, haha! But I will edit the description, just to be sure someone doesn't suffocate themselves 😛 In regards to deathmewing, wasn't he just a troll? Had a hard time taking him seriously, since his accounts where so extreme. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 8:20 am
Azrael liked
Azrael
Estimable Member

@azrael
The sensations are my own experience. However, I seem to have been susceptible to them in general lately.

Oh, alright.

In regards to deathmewing, wasn't he just a troll? Had a hard time taking him seriously, since his accounts where so extreme. 

Yeah, I was just kidding. He was a troll mewer😁

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 9:04 am
Loliboly liked
RamonT
Trusted Member

This is a collection of my personal experimentation and my current understanding of others ideas, and my attempt to map them out. Depending on how one counts, this amounts to 12-18 different techniques. Please try them out and report what you experience. Feel welcome to discuss all of the methods, and don't be afraid of telling me if your disagree with the description of any technique. Hopefully this will clear up confusion about tongue posture for people new to mewing, make new ideas flourish and new grounds be discovered.

The OP will be updated continually if the discussions develop the concepts presented here.

Incisive/newbie mewing

Only the tip of he tongue is placed on the incisive papilla, also know as the n-spot. It is a common mistake of people who have just heard about mewing to believe that this is proper mewing is.

Intermediate mewing

The tip and middle of the tongue is placed on the roof of the mouth, without engaging the posterior third. Common for intermediate mewers to mistakenly believe that they are engaging the posterior third when keeping tho posture.

The suction hold

Commonly referred to as soft mewing. This is the kind of mewing that Dr. John and Mike Mew advocates. The whole tongue is suctioned up against the hard and soft palate, creating an inter oral vacuum.

Snore mewing

Occurs when the posterior third is engaged, and blocks the airway. May be the true position of the tongue of in a recessed face.Very common for beginner mewers who try to learn how to engage the posterior third. Effective for building awareness of the tongue. Might be effective for training the posterior third and expanding the airways, but is highly uncomfortable and mentally taxing.

Breath mewing

Functions the same way as snore mewing, but with less blockage of the throat. This results in an audible breath, similar to the sound of a deep asleep person. May be the true position of the tongue of in a recessed face. Effective for building awareness of the tongue. Might have to upsides of snore mewing without the downsides. On the contrary, this can actually have a soothing effect on the mind.

Open mouth mewing

Technique to learn snore and breathe mewing. Also helpful to learn how to engage the posterior third. How to do it: Put the whole tongue or just the posterior third on the roof of the mouth, while keeping an open mouth. Try breathe in through the mouth. You should be able to produce an audible snore. This is snore mewing. You may now close your mouth. Make sure to not change the position of the tongue. If you slightly reduce the blockage of the posterior third, you will end up with breath mewing.

It is important to keep in mind that breath and snore mewing exists on a continuum. It is thus encouraged to experiment with different kind of engagement with the posterior third, to really get to know this important part of the tongue.

Medium mewing

Less intense version of the different kinds of hard mewing. Might just be proper soft mewing, since most peoples tongues are weak. Helmtustrebl stated that he medium mewed when his tongue was too tired to hard mewing.

Center mewing

A suction hold at it's core. While keeping the suction hold, the border between the middle and posterior third firms somewhat and pushes up slightly against the torus palatinus. This will result in a slight narrowing of the tongue, and less pressure will be felt against the teeth in favour of the palate. This technique may induce quite obvious sensations in the nose, mid face, forehead and even in the gums between the middle incisors. To visualize where the tongue is supposed to go, slide the tip of the tongue to the border between the hard and the soft palate. You will feel a bump in the middle of the middle. If you start to push, sensations will be felt in the nose area. This is where the center of the tongue will push up slightly.

Hard suction

An strong suction hold. Seems to first have been thought up by @Progress. There are two kinds.

1. Infinite swallow/suction. Feels like the tongue is being sucked down the throat. Imagine you throat being a deep, near endless well with a black hole at it's bottom, dragging your tongue. May engage your neck muscles.

2. Active hard suction. Like an infinite swallow, but with additional activation of the the muscles at the underside of the chin. The muscle activation makes it feel like the tongue is being not pushed but supported against the upper palate. Creates an inward curve at the border between the chin and the hyoid bone. This curve can also be observed when swallowing or holding ones breath.

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/have-you-experimented-with-hard-suction/#post-30743

Hard mewing

Hard mewing is generally understood as deliberate pushing of the tongue into the palate. The direction of the push may be forwards, upwards or in both directions. Forwards movement seems to be what causes the infamous bulge beneath the chin. May be more effective to speed up facial growth. It has been hinted that Mike Mew, while being a proponent of soft mewing, thinks hard mewing may be an effective way to ingrain the habit of proper tongue posture.

There are different forms of hard mewing. The differences between them has to do with what part of the tongue that is in contact with the upper palate and what parts exert the pushing force.

1. Hard incisive mewing

As in incisive mewing, only the tip is in contact with the upper palate and pushes hard into the n-spot. The rest of the tongue lies at the floor of the mouth.

2. Hard intermediate mewing

As in intermediate mewing, the tip and middle of the tongue is in contact with the upper palate. There are three versions.

a) The force is focused solely on the tip

b) The force is focused solely on the middle

c) The focus is focused on both the tip and the middle.

3. Hard back mewing

The whole tongue is in contact with the upper palate. The force is focused solely or mostly on the posterior third. This is the technique @helmutstrebl has reported to be using.

4. Full hard mewing

The whole tongue in in contact with, and pushes hard into the whole of the upper palate.

Block mewing

An extreme kind of hard mewing. After swallowing, the tongue is kept in place and  pushing hard into the roof of the mouth, thus completely blocking the airway. May induce various kinds of sensations in the the whole of the face. @Azrael reported splitting his suture with this technique.

Hard mewing 2.0

Combination of the infinite swallow/active hard suction, center mewing and hard back mewing/full hard mewing. A very intense version of hard mewing. In addition to all the sensation its constituents induces, it also makes it feel like the cranium is being lifted away from the cranium. While somewhat different, @achilles1 described a similar technique in his 18 month progress report.

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/18-months-of-progress/

Great list!!, great post!.

I'm familiar with all of them.

I can add mewing from "The Pocket" to the list... I guess I'm the only one, thus far mewig that way =_=.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 10:49 am
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

Thank you! Glad you liked it. I have never heard of "the pocket". Please share it with the rest of us! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 10:51 am
RamonT liked
RamonT
Trusted Member

Thank you! Glad you liked it. I have never heard of "the pocket". Please share it with the rest of us! 🙂

You'll find it on my very first post in this forum. Please give a try, it's a game-changer.....I think you can get it easy with the repertoire you already have. Take a look at it, scroll down some of the details i posted explain it, and if you need a video tutorial of it I'm willing to make it for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 10:55 am
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@ramont
I have trouble finding it? Could you dig it up for me? Also, is it okay if I edit it into the list?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 11:56 am
RamonT liked
Adam
 Adam
Eminent Member

@ramont 
Do you mean getting posterior third / hyoid in the pocket that feels like behind your sinuses? (others refer to this as "massaging your sinuses", tho it may technicaly not be behind) and lock it there with low lvl suction (you can add "g" for a spread)? I found this method after Loliboly post today and wow it feels great.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 12:06 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@adam

Never heard of "massaging your sinuses". Is what you are describing just the act of raising the posterior third properly? Could you describe how it feels and what makes it feel so good to you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 12:10 pm
BarretMaxilla

Ngl this forum is very good people here are smart 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 12:16 pm
Yusu liked
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: @adam

@ramont 
Do you mean getting posterior third / hyoid in the pocket that feels like behind your sinuses? (others refer to this as "massaging your sinuses", tho it may technicaly not be behind) and lock it there with low lvl suction (you can add "g" for a spread)? I found this method after Loliboly post today and wow it feels great.

The stage 1 image, you can see the tongue in position to go in; the way to get it all in is by doing a suction action with the tongue and pouting the lips at the same time as you drive the tongue in there, the stronger the tongue gets the easier one to be able to do it...Mewing from the anchor is much better even though it does not seem natural. It is really easy to get in there, I thought a friend to do it last Saturday and he just started mewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 12:35 pm
Adam liked
Adam
 Adam
Eminent Member

@loliboly ive heard about it on reddit or somewhere. Yes, you are right, it's basically raising posterior third properly so its no new sience (at least to what i am refering to, i dont know what ramont is doing). I was doing it a bit wrong so thats why it was so good to me. It feels like that: when you raise posterior third and place it in "the place" or "pocket" (if i may borrow ramont word) you feel like you would massage your sinuses - if you ever had sinusitis, it feels a bit like massaging that area - it feels like you pushing back of you nasal area. Its quite easy to use light suction to lock that thing in to place there and it stretches your upper spine and head to stay in place, its very natural. I add now a bit of "g" for a bit more coverage, and it feels like very good mewing. It's efortless comparing to what ive done before..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 12:36 pm
Loliboly liked
RamonT
Trusted Member

@ramont
I have trouble finding it? Could you dig it up for me? Also, is it okay if I edit it into the list?

I look it up now.

Yes you can post it.

https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/a-better-anchor-for-the-whole-tongue-for-mewing-imho-it-will-cut-by-half-or-less-the-time-it-takes-to-seeing-result/

I edited it a bit, made the post shorter so you guys don't get confused. I hope it helps, feel free to ask anything about it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 12:36 pm
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@adam
I wonder if the sensations you are describing are the same as I experience while center mewing. Does it feel like the nose if being upwards slightly? I like the g-trick you just described - it definitely makes the tongue spread a bit more! 🙂

By the way, I would encourage you to describe what you where doing prior to that. That way, you may help out beginners who are struggling. By the way, are you okay with me adding "g-mewing" to the list? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 12:49 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@ramont

Posted by: @ramont

The stage 1 image, you can see the tongue in position to go in; the way to get it all in is by doing a suction action with the tongue and pouting the lips at the same time as you drive the tongue in there, the stronger the tongue gets the easier one to be able to do it...Mewing from the anchor is much better even though it does not seem natural. It is really easy to get in there, I thought a friend to do it last Saturday and he just started mewing.

What on earth is that? Look like the tongue is crawling up into the nose! Scary... What would be advantage of this technique be? Push the maxilla forwards, somehow?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 12:50 pm
RamonT liked
Progress
Member Moderator

@loliboly Check this out http://tarpitboss.com/Lingual_Exploration.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 1:04 pm
Odys, Loliboly and RamonT liked
RamonT
Trusted Member

@ramont

What on earth is that? Look like the tongue is crawling up into the nose! Scary... What would be advantage of this technique be? Push the maxilla forwards, somehow?

=_=, not really, it just feels like the soft palate feels...soft, the tongue gets nice and cozy and warm and you'll have more saliva in your mouth. IMO the avenge is everything, tongue chewing is better the back of the tongue rises higher, etc.

The link the Progress posted. that is where the tongue goes into the nose, but that is different and not easy to do at all.

P.S. When the tongue is in the pocket it almost feels as if it is on the incisive papilla, however, it's really above the incisive papilla.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 1:14 pm
Adam
 Adam
Eminent Member

@loliboly 
Sure. I was basicaly trying everything from the list above before, besides open mouth mewing. Recently, I was just choking/near choking (i think its the snore/breath mewing described above) myself 😉 The one i described is by far easiest for me, and yes I think its the same/nearly the same (i cant find excatly where torus palatinus is, there are some nasty images in google xd) as center mewing you described.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 1:20 pm
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

Edit: I forgot to mention: Please discuss which techniques you think would be the most useful, and goals they are best suited towards!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 1:27 pm
RamonT liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member
Posted by: @adam

@loliboly 
Recently, I was just choking/near choking (i think its the snore/breath mewing described above) myself 😉 The one i described is by far easiest for me, and yes I think its the same/nearly the same (i cant find excatly where torus palatinus is, there are some nasty images in google xd) as center mewing you described.

I want to comment on this. I am currently asking wether my of us actually should be breath mewing, despite being able to raise our hyoids sufficiently. The reason for this is that I am afraid that we not pushing our recession out of the way enough. Mike Mew as well has stated that the feeling between holding ones breath and fully engaging the posterior third is "veeeeery subtle". I am not sure this is the case for most mewers. On the other side, that then raises the question how we can ultimately know when we are truly engaging the whole of the tongue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 1:33 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@ramont

Do you mean that the pocket(should we call it pocket mewing?) is pushing the tip far back into the soft palate?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 1:34 pm
RamonT liked
RamonT
Trusted Member

@ramont

Do you mean that the pocket(should we call it pocket mewing?) is pushing the tip far back into the soft palate?

Yeah, it's fine, the reason I say the pocket is because it literally feels that way when the whole front of the tongue gets in there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 2:21 pm
Loliboly liked
Apollo
Reputable Member

What @ramont calls "the pocket" yoga refers to as "nabho mudra" or stage 1 "khechari mudra". In my progress thread ( https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/apollos-accountability-record/ ), I've been documenting my efforts to progress to stage 2 (as depicted in the diagram above), where the tongue passes behind the soft palate and enters the nasopharynx. More information can be found here ( https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/nasopharyngeal-manipulation-techniques/#post-12744 ). I feel like I'm getting close, but still not there yet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 2:32 pm
Loliboly and RamonT liked
moemoe

😲 what the h..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 2:52 pm
Loliboly liked
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @apollo

What @ramont calls "the pocket" yoga refers to as "nabho mudra" or stage 1 "khechari mudra". In my progress thread ( https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/apollos-accountability-record/ ), I've been documenting my efforts to progress to stage 2 (as depicted in the diagram above), where the tongue passes behind the soft palate and enters the nasopharynx. More information can be found here ( https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/nasopharyngeal-manipulation-techniques/#post-12744 ). I feel like I'm getting close, but still not there yet.

I actually once saw a guy on Reddit succeefully achieving stage 2. He didn't explicitly state that he was pocket mewing or anything and I thought he was exhibiting how mobile and flexible his tongue was. That lead me to attempt it as well over the weeks and I too am between stage 1 and 2 at the moment since I can only touch the uvula with my tongue tip.

However, I'm not sure if this has any actual positive effect towards maxillary rotation or expansion as is the case with other mewing techniques such as hard mewing and suction hold.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 2:53 pm
RamonT
Trusted Member

Yeah, those are the names.

Maneuvering the whole front of the tongue in there is what makes it feel like a pocket =_=.

Apollo, good luck on your progress to stage 2, I'm still trying but I'm not there yet, I expect to get to stage 4 in the future.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 2:56 pm
Apollo liked
Progress
Member Moderator

For those who are having difficulties with reaching stage 2, there is a trick where you bring the tip of your tongue close to the uvula, then exhale a short and strong burst of air through your mouth so that the uvula flips over the tip of your tongue. From this position it is easy to just slide the tip onto the superior surface of the soft palate and palpate the openings of the nasal passages.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 3:07 pm
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: @azrael

I actually once saw a guy on Reddit succeefully achieving stage 2. He didn't explicitly state that he was pocket mewing or anything and I thought he was exhibiting how mobile and flexible his tongue was. That lead me to attempt it as well over the weeks and I too am between stage 1 and 2 at the moment since I can only touch the uvula with my tongue tip.

However, I'm not sure if this has any actual positive effect towards maxillary rotation or expansion as is the case with other mewing techniques such as hard mewing and suction hold.

Doing that stage 1 or 2, and the way I apply with mewing are two different things IMHO.

People have been doing all the stages above for 100s of years.

I just came across stage1 on the image above by accident and apply it into mewing and felt that is most effective than the way Dr. Mike Mew explains.

I use and have mastered both ways/anchors, however, these days I use the pocket 90% of the time I mew.

"However, I'm not sure if this has any actual positive effect towards maxillary rotation or expansion as is the case with other mewing techniques such as hard mewing and suction hold."

I totally believe it does, you have to play with it and find out for yourself, it is really the only way to find out.

I can only share my experience with it, which I have posted in this forum somewhere.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 3:09 pm
Loliboly liked
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: @progress

For those who are having difficulties with reaching stage 2, there is a trick where you bring the tip of your tongue close to the uvula, then exhale a short and strong burst of air through your mouth so that the uvula flips over the tip of your tongue. From this position it is easy to just slide the tip onto the superior surface of the soft palate and palpate the openings of the nasal passages.

Thanks for the tip, bro. It sounds great, I'm gonna start playing with it... I'll report back hopefully with good results =_=.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 3:27 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member
Posted by: @progress

With finger assistance I can push the tip of my tongue behind the uvula, so that the uvula rests on the underside of my tongue. I'm just short of reaching the back of my throat with the tip of my tongue. I haven't been able to get the tongue to make it around to the top side of the soft palate. Some sources I've read say it is easier to finger assist on one side or the other rather than directly in the middle behind the uvula. My left side seems to be easier. I'll try your exhalation technique and see if it helps. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 3:41 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

Doing that and the way I apply it into mewing are two different things IMHO.

People have been doing all the stages above for 100s of years.

I just came across stage1 on the image above by accident and apply it into mewing and felt that is most effective than the way Dr. Mike Mew explains.

I use and have mastered both ways/anchors, however, these days I use the pocket 90% of the time I mew.

To be honest, stage 1 and (to a lesser extent) 2 seem pretty okay to me but stages 3 and 4 are downright scary to me. I mean, you are practically poking near the structures around your brain with your tongue. I don't know anything about yoga or about this practice's centuries-old history but it seems really dangerous, more so than simply trying to push your maxilla up with hard mewing.

I totally believe it does, you have to play with it and find out for yourself, it is really the only way to find out.

I can only share my experience with it, which I have posted in this forum somewhere.

I will give lesser-known and seen techniques such as this a go when people start posting progress pics attributing their success to such techniques or if I see no improvement with my current routine (with hard mewing) even after a year.

We have plenty of anecdotal evidence for hard mewing, after all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 3:44 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

I imagine that pushing against the maxilla from behind might help with forward displacement better than pushing against the alveolar ridge, but I don't have any remarkable results to report yet. It might also help to mobilize the sphenoid and other bones in the nasopharynx in a mechanism analogous to endonasal balloon inflation. I see it as a supplement to posturing the dorsum of the tongue against the palate as normal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 3:45 pm
RamonT liked
Azrael
Estimable Member

I imagine that pushing against the maxilla from behind might help with forward displacement better than pushing against the alveolar ridge, but I don't have any remarkable results to report yet. It might also help to mobilize the sphenoid and other bones in the nasopharynx in a mechanism analogous to NCR. I see it as a supplement to posturing the dorsum of the tongue against the palate as normal.

How long have you been doing this (pocket mewing, I guess)? Is this one of yoir primary techniques or something you're dabbling with?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 3:52 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

I imagine that pushing against the maxilla from behind might help with forward displacement better than pushing against the alveolar ridge, but I don't have any remarkable results to report yet. It might also help to mobilize the sphenoid and other bones in the nasopharynx in a mechanism analogous to NCR. I see it as a supplement to posturing the dorsum of the tongue against the palate as normal.

How long have you been doing this (pocket mewing, I guess)? Is this one of yoir primary techniques or something you're dabbling with?

I've been inconsistently practicing nabho mudra or stage 1 khechari since November 2018 ( https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/apollos-accountability-record/#post-29822 ). For me this has just involved curling the tongue back and pressing the tip into the soft palate right behind the edge of the hard palate and holding it there for as long as I comfortably can or until saliva pools in my mouth and I want to swallow. I used to do this a handful of times per day, but now I do it frequently and I've only recently added practices like Talabya Kriya (opening the mouth as far as possible with the tongue suctioned against the palate to stretch the lingual frenulum and then clicking the tongue and sticking it out against the chin), Chalan (pulling the tongue out with a cloth and stretching it in different directions), and soft palate stretching (hooking around the back of the soft palate with a bent spoon handle and pulling forward) to try and advance to stage 2. Some sources also recommend Dohan (milking the tongue), and Chedan (frenectomy) but I haven't used these methods yet. I have mixed in some pre and post op frenectomy exercises and other myofunctional exercises which might or might not be helping.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 4:14 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@progress @RamonT @Apollo @moemoe @Azrael

Pocket mewing, or nabho mudra seems as interesting as it seems scary! I have tried it out and have noticed that it certainly help with saliva production like you said Ramon. Very happy about that, since I have some problems with a dry mouth. It also seems to be an excellent way to build awareness of the tongue and the cranium, something that definitely will be helpful regardless of why one is doing mewing. Having such a mobile tongue will certainly help with function, which in turn will help with aesthetics. Jamo himself talked about how face pulling helped him feel the way forces should be applied to grow the face. Now, just imagine getting to know the different bones like the guy Progress linked to described! Must be incredible beneficial. I will definitely add this to the list. I haven't had the time to read all the text you provided, Apollo, but I will make sure to read it soon!

Since there seems to be so many benefits to this technique, where do all you personally feel that the potential lies in pocket mewing/kechari mudra/nabho mudra?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 4:47 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

Since there seems to be so many benefits to this technique, where do all you personally feel that the potential lies in pocket mewing/nabho mudra?

Like Apollo said, forward displacement of the maxilla seems possible when you look at the latter stages of the technique. But it would be useless if the maxilla isn't CCW rotated, imo. It's nice to see different members of this forum experimenting with different techniques, though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 5:01 pm
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

OP has been updated with the newly mentioned techniques. A section for additional tricks to facilitate mewing has been added as well.
@RamonT @Azrael @Apollo @Adam @Progress @moemoe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 5:22 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

Since there seems to be so many benefits to this technique, where do all you personally feel that the potential lies in pocket mewing/nabho mudra?

Like Apollo said, forward displacement of the maxilla seems possible when you look at the latter stages of the technique. But it would be useless if the maxilla isn't CCW rotated, imo. It's nice to see different members of this forum experimenting with different techniques, though.

This is an important point. But just to bring up a minor point, I still think the forward displacement will have it's benefits even without a CCW rotated maxilla. However, for solely aesthetic improvements, kechari mudra is perhaps best viewed as a complimentary practice rather than the basis of ones mewing practice. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 5:32 pm
RamonT
Trusted Member

"Since there seem to be so many benefits to this technique, where do all you personally feel that the potential lies in pocket mewing/nabho mudra?"

I mentioned that I have mastered both techniques, Anchoring the tongue in the incisive papilla which is the normal way everybody does and the way DR. Mike Mew explains it, and the one I call the pocket, with either one, one mews in the exact same way as mewing is supposed to go, I personally know mewing from the pocket is better because all the stuff you can do  with the regular way, done  with the pocket is better, all of them:

Tongue chewing

Suctioning the tongue and lips in one action with equal power for both suction/seal.

The back/third of the tongue goes up higher and with full power.

The front of the tongue is super secured all around the soft palate.

I can feel the maxilla bone as if it was just the bone without any flesh.

I can freely move the whole front of the tongue from side to side molar to molar, and the tongue stays put in the pocket

The swallow action is more effective and brings the hyoid bone higher.

These are just a few of the applications.

Again it does not hurt to learn or add a new technique, especially when it's not hard at all to get.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 5:37 pm
Loliboly liked
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@Azrael said he split his suture when his main technique was using the front and middle of his tongue, not the posterior third.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 5:42 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@paperbag
Where did he say that? We just discussed his case just recently. He did practice hard tip mewing for the first 2.5 months. He then sated that he started focusing on the back after reading about Helmtustrbls technique. This change in his technique is what he felt allowed him to ultimately split his suture. He did mention however that in the time prior to the change in technique, he had built up a lot of strength in the previous months, which he thinks helped him achieve this as quickly as he did.

Note that while his current technique does focus on the posterior third, he still can't breathe while engaging it. Thus he is practicing what I call block mewing, and not hard (back) mewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 7:16 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

Where did he say that? We just discussed his case just recently. He did practice hard tip mewing for the first 2.5 months. He then sated that he started focusing on the back after reading about Helmtustrbls technique. This change in his technique is what he felt allowed him to ultimately split his suture.

That's half-right. The split happened in the first 10 days (3 days after discarding the use of retainer).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 2:44 am
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@azrael
Oh! So when you got the split, you where in fact focusing on the front?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 3:11 am
Azrael
Estimable Member

@azrael

Wait, I'll check my mewing journal and reply back, my memory is crap.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 3:15 am
Loliboly liked
Azrael
Estimable Member

@azrael

January 31st, 2020

Okay, it says I was hard mewing, but I haven't written where I was pushing from. However, I can assure you the tip of the tongue was indeed on the incissive papilla.

I probably was block mewing then as well, but not with the current engagement (which I think has improved with time) of the posterior third.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 3:23 am
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@azrael

January 31st, 2020

Okay, it says I was hard mewing, but I haven't written where I was pushing from. However, I can assure you the tip of the tongue was indeed on the incissive papilla.

I probably was block mewing then as well, but not with the current engagement (which I think has improved with time) of the posterior third.

I think it is then safe to assume then that your main focus was on the tip. @Progress recently said that he thinks pushing on the incisive papilla might be most effective way to split the suture. Your experience certainly helps building the case. Actually, it was probably a combination of hard tip mewing and block mewing. I am trying that technique out right now, and the pressure at t he n-spot produces sensations in my incisors.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 3:38 am
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney

It would be very appreciated if you could offer an explanation of you tongue ballooning technique here! I want to add it to the list, but don't feel I understand the mechanics properly to write about it. Your name will be mentioned in the section of the list.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 3:50 am
Yusu
 Yusu
Eminent Member

yeah great post

I think the best and most balanced way to mew is: Whole tongue spread out evenly, ballooning the tongur in all ditections and maybe slightly forward and do this with ca 40-50% force, so a medium hard mewing. Chin tuck helps, although doing it the whole day is not good for the neck

Sometimes hard mewing and tongue chewing for more tongue strentgh

I think that constant force is the key. Not to hard, that would be too much stressfull and could bring unbalanced results.

However I am nit a fun of just sucking. So suck first to get the whole tongue up, then push in all directions and forward with medium force

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 6:18 am
Loliboly liked
RamonT
Trusted Member

There seems to be a little confusion about the Khechari Mudra and what I call the Pocket, to me they are two different things, it is just the entrance that is the same.

I just want to make this clear for you guys, so you might really give it a try to the Pocket:

The front of the tongue goes into that entrance on the stage 1 image "Khechari Mudra" however, the tongue does not go up as in stage 2 of the image below, instead, the front of the tongue pushes, drives toward the upper lip direction, under the base of the nose, it should feel as if the front of the tongue is going down. The final position of the tongue should feel as if the tongue were anchored on the incisive papilla and honestly it is, it is just above It.

Suctioning the tongue, pouting the lips, and moving the jaw forward simultaneously while one drives the tongue in, makes the front of the tongue get in the desired spot easier.

I hope that can clear any confusion some of you may have.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 10:06 am
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@boudrees

Please share it! Just make sure to post the link to this thread as well, so they can see the discussion we have had so for. And yes please, share your chewing technique! I will add a section for chewing to the list as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2020 2:29 pm
Gentleman liked