Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

teeth together at rest  

RSS
deep.thought

Anybody got a safe answer? Sometimes I read "teeth together", other time I read "Teeth apart". What's the real correct oral posture at rest?

Posted : 13/09/2020 4:49 am
Eugene liked
sinned
Estimable Member

Teeth apart, when your jaw muscles are at rest your teeth are apart, a lip seal and suction hold prevents the mouth from opening.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2020 8:48 am
Lawnmewer

@sinned

I disagree, with proper strong suction hold your teeth should be making contact without the contraction of masticatory muscles.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2020 11:24 am
Roflcopters
Trusted Member
Posted by: @lawnmewer

@sinned

I disagree, with proper strong suction hold your teeth should be making contact without the contraction of masticatory muscles.

Disagreeing doesn't make you right.

Don't hard mew.

Hard Mewing is just clenching your teeth which never was and never will be good.

Your so called "proper suction hold" isn't proper or Natural.

It only happens when you force it by swallowing and sacrificing your body and cervical postures.

Strong suction holds will stiffen your back.

You will push your back teeth up into the bone.

Possibly create a deep bite.

Your literally pushing your mandible back when your hard mewing, regardless of your occlusion. 

It widens and vaults the palate at the same time at the back and your midface will look droopier.

Logically speaking it makes no sense to hard mew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2020 6:07 pm
Lawnmewer

@roflcopters

I'm not talking about hard mewing. I agree that hard mewing is bad and counterproductive. And it isn't clenching, as like I said, the masticatory muscles are completely passive. What I mean by strong suction hold is not the tongue pressed against the palate hard, but the tongue attached firmly onto the palate due to a vacuum. At least with a moderately developed occlusion, the lower then rest against the upper teeth without any contraction of the masticatory muscles or the tongue muscles. 

I'm not sure what you're appealing to when you use the word natural, as that would only support my argument. Not only do we see teeth contact and strong suction holds in animals, but also in indigenous tribes living in as close to a natural environment as can be. I will concede that perhaps with a certain level of CFD teeth contact could be counterproductive, however to say that it is unnatural is incorrect. 

It seems that most of the symptoms you listed would be caused by hard mewing and not a strong suction hold, except for pushing the teeth into the bone itself. Is your source for that a Looksmax.me theory posted on here earlier? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2020 8:12 pm
sinned
Estimable Member

@lawnmewer

It doesn't matter what I do, if my teeth touch the masseters are contracting, if your jaw is at rest and the teeth touch then it's probably fine, but, personally, teeth together never worked, it always lead to clenching. I'd argue this is the case for a lot of people, it doesn't help if you have a malocclusion which the majority of people have in some form or another. An argument used specifically by the Mews and some other proponents of teeth together is that teeth in contact helps the mandible grow somehow to match the maxilla or that it will prevent downward growth, I don't think this is the case. Chewing is sufficient enough to maintain occlusion and the idea that the tongue is the support of the maxilla and prevents downward growth is wrong, the maxilla grows DOWNWARD and forward.

@roflcopters

It's true hard mewing isn't a natural, resting posture, but if you have a deficient maxilla, a suction hold becomes nearly impossible because there isn't enough palate for the tongue to suction to and it's too vaulted for the tongue to lay flat against the palate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2020 9:45 pm
WickedFinger

@sinned So, how are we supposed to mew according to you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2020 4:48 am
Roflcopters
Trusted Member
Posted by: @sinned

@roflcopters

It's true hard mewing isn't a natural, resting posture, but if you have a deficient maxilla, a suction hold becomes nearly impossible because there isn't enough palate for the tongue to suction to and it's too vaulted for the tongue to lay flat against the palate.

If the suction hold without the tongue touching the teeth is nearly Impossible do not force it.

Allow it to Touch the teeth at the front, gently. 

I think this where John Mew failed and was irresponsible. His mewing guidelines are made for decently developed maxila cases and people with real class2's that actually lack mandible growth instead of unconsciously tensioning and retracting it.

Your mandible should be relaxed at the condyles when practicing good oral posture. Not forced. Yoga and deep breathing will do it.

If youre forcing your mandible backwards and up in order to Mew harder at the back youre developing bad breathing patterns, underoxygenation, you Will clench and develop TMJ and your body posture is going to BE forced into tension for you to be able to breathe.

Doesnt that go against correct growth? 

We know that body posture, oral posture and occlusion are all deeply related so id say fix your body posture first. 

Id relax, do some yoga and breathe deeply. Thats whats working for me

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2020 8:01 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member

Don't only suck on the palate, you'll force the front of it downwards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2020 5:56 pm
sinned
Estimable Member

@wickedfinger

I'm of the opinion you should do whatever you can to grow/expand the maxilla and get room for the tongue. The resting posture should be a suction hold and lip seal allowing for a strong intra oral vacuum that prevents the mouth from opening, if your tongue doesn't have enough space this is will be impossible. MSE, DNA, facepulling/facemask, hardmewing, thumbpulling, surgery, whatever it is the goal should be expansion and forward growth, "mewing" has described by Mew where you just suction hold is not effective for most people, not only will you not get expansion, but the effectiveness of the suction hold is DIRECTLY a result of how much space the tongue has. Mind you most industrialized people have an IMW of 29-35 mm, this is very narrow and not nearly enough space for the tongue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2020 6:01 pm
chiefkeefsosa
Eminent Member
Posted by: @roflcopters

Your literally pushing your mandible back when your hard mewing, regardless of your occlusion. 

It widens and vaults the palate at the same time at the back and your midface will look droopier.

Everything you said can't be proved. How can people actually do hard mewing and get none of the symptoms you described?  This forum is dead. No one can get results. Keep waiting for results from soft mewing.

This user has been banned from forum participation

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2020 9:57 am
Roflcopters
Trusted Member
Posted by: @chiefkeefsosa
Posted by: @roflcopters

Everything you said can't be proved. How can people actually do hard mewing and get none of the symptoms you described?  This forum is dead. No one can get results. Keep waiting for results from soft mewing.

True. None of this can be proved, we speak from our own experiences and give advice to whoever wants it and feels the same way 🙂

I get youre frustrated and want fast results but discrediting just because you feel depressed is kinda meh. If you've got nothing constructive to say don't join in.

Theres actually a couple threads of people admitting hard mewing gave them unwanted aesthetic results, including anxiety and whatnot but hey..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2020 11:26 am
Roflcopters
Trusted Member
Posted by: @chiefkeefsosa

@roflcopters. 🤣  why did you assume im depressed and fusturated? Haha.

Did you experience your molars going tinha up or your palate vaulting from hard mewing? Im discredting you because your lying and have no clue what your saying. 

All your doing is spreading misinformation and making the community worse.

CaMewing is dead. No one has posted a good result pic since helmutstrebl. 

Yes. I did experience that. Which is a negative result and thats why Im posting what Im posting on threads i deem my personal experience coukd be valuable. 

Having a top on top bite and TMJ problems while hardmewing oNLY made my case worse.

hard mewing Will eventually make things worse because its a form of clenching and bad stress. So when i see people hard mewing and mentioning teeth together while having TMJ problems i warn against it. 

But hey my bad Mr enlightment

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2020 2:40 pm
chiefkeefsosa
Eminent Member

@roflcopters bro you hardmewed with teeth together, no wonder your molars went up. 

This user has been banned from forum participation

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2020 5:17 pm