Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Swallowing + Open Bite  

RSS
adcr
 adcr
Eminent Member

I’m noticing a motion that seems unnatural when I swallow. I can see through my open bite that a piece of muscle (under tongue) comes up and forward and makes contact with my bottom teeth before receding back. I think my tongue is making the up and back motion but the forwards motion from this other piece of muscle is concerning. Any advice?

Posted : 16/01/2019 7:47 pm
Sclera
Estimable Member

I'm not quite sure I'm visualizing this properly, but if I am it could be that parts of your tongue need strengthening. I can't emphasize enough how important flexibility, dexterity, and strength of the tongue is. When you learn to isolate different parts of the tongue, then your range of adjustments grows.

These three exercises helped me especially. The third exercise might help you explore what your tongue can do and practice lifting that under-tongue part with the rest of the tongue when you swallow:  https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/tongue-strengthening-exercises/

Also, just checking. Have you ruled out tongue tie?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 9:08 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Possibly tongue thrust?  Where's the open bite originating from, do you think?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 10:44 am
adcr
 adcr
Eminent Member
Posted by: darkindigo

Possibly tongue thrust?  Where's the open bite originating from, do you think?

Open bite originates from my class III malocclusion and keeping tongue on bottom of mouth. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 5:20 pm
adcr
 adcr
Eminent Member
Posted by: Sclera

I'm not quite sure I'm visualizing this properly, but if I am it could be that parts of your tongue need strengthening. I can't emphasize enough how important flexibility, dexterity, and strength of the tongue is. When you learn to isolate different parts of the tongue, then your range of adjustments grows.

These three exercises helped me especially. The third exercise might help you explore what your tongue can do and practice lifting that under-tongue part with the rest of the tongue when you swallow:  https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/tongue-strengthening-exercises/

Also, just checking. Have you ruled out tongue tie?

No tongue tie. I have a prominent frenulum at bottom of tongue which some people have confused as tongue tie but it’s long enough to not inhibit tongue flexibility 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 5:21 pm
Sclera
Estimable Member

@adcr, I tried to recreate the experience of muscle hitting my teeth, and it happens when my posterior third isn't engaged enough. I still have my tongue up against the roof of my mouth. But once I engage the posterior third more deeply, I no longer feel anything touch my bottom teeth.

I can't say if this is what's happening for you, but thought I might throw that out there as a possibility.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 7:52 pm
adcr
 adcr
Eminent Member
Posted by: Sclera

@adcr, I tried to recreate the experience of muscle hitting my teeth, and it happens when my posterior third isn't engaged enough. I still have my tongue up against the roof of my mouth. But once I engage the posterior third more deeply, I no longer feel anything touch my bottom teeth.

I can't say if this is what's happening for you, but thought I might throw that out there as a possibility.

This may be the case. I’m still working on engaging posterior third/posterior third strength because I can’t breathe when I do it and therefore hardly remember to do it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2019 6:22 pm