Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Suture split without diastema?  

RSS
bulkebro

So I always heard diastema is a sign of suture seperation. Is it possible to have seperation without a diastema?

To me this looks like what others describe as suture seperation but I dont really have a diastema, also had braces in the past so maybe it has to do with the fact that my teeth shift very easily now. Or can you have partial seperation? 

Posted : 31/05/2020 2:26 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

Diastema happens when your palate is expanding faster than your teeth are capable of shifting back to close the gap (or alternatively when there are no forces maintaining arch coherence.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2020 2:35 pm
bulkebro liked
Apollo
Reputable Member

Is that groove new? Even MARPE cases with a midline diastema and x-ray confirmed suture separation don't typically show that kind of deep indentation because the overlying mucosal layer doesn't split. For example here is Ronald Ead at 2 weeks:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2020 5:09 pm
bulkebro
Posted by: @apollo

Is that groove new? Even MARPE cases with a midline diastema and x-ray confirmed suture separation don't typically show that kind of deep indentation because the overlying mucosal layer doesn't split. For example here is Ronald Ead at 2 weeks:

I'm not sure I had it before I began mewing, cause looking up at my palate wasnt really a concern of mine but I did notice it once I checked for the first time (which was shortly after I started putting my tongue up)

whenever my tongue touches that spot specifically I get all kinds of weird sensations all over my midface, strongest is probably in my nose area where its almost vibrating but it has a nice feel to it. I sound like a madman but that's my experience.

After I saw it for the first time I had invisalign about 2months later and invisalign without moving any of my molars gave me crazy palatal expansion aswell, although maybe the palate expansion was just cause the dental expansion allowed me to properly get my tongue up

You do make me question if maybe I always had that 'split' in my palate though, but the thing is whenever I apply pressure which I rarely do since I don't hardmew anymore the split becomes even longer and covers all of my hard palate

EDIT: What else could it be? I've tried to find something similar online many times, no luck. And youre right about none of the palate expansions with suture splits look similar

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2020 6:00 pm
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: @bulkebro

trongest is probably in my nose area where its almost vibrating but it has a nice feel to it. I sound like a madman but that's my experience.

Definitely not crazy, I made a thread about this recently. Turns out others have experienced it too: https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/electric-current-at-the-incisive-papilla/#post-31697

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2020 6:30 pm
bulkebro liked
Apollo
Reputable Member

I wondered if your median palatine raphe just developed embryologically with that deep groove. A slight indentation there is normal. But if you observe it changing shape in response to tongue pressure, maybe it does represent mobility of the underlying suture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2020 7:44 pm
bulkebro
Posted by: @apollo

I wondered if your median palatine raphe just developed embryologically with that deep groove. A slight indentation there is normal. But if you observe it changing shape in response to tongue pressure, maybe it does represent mobility of the underlying suture.

It does spread throughout the hard palate with pressure yeah.
Honestly I wonder if its related to me having joint hypermobility which affects connective tissues in the body

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2020 2:12 am
bulkebro
Posted by: @progress
Posted by: @bulkebro

trongest is probably in my nose area where its almost vibrating but it has a nice feel to it. I sound like a madman but that's my experience.

Definitely not crazy, I made a thread about this recently. Turns out others have experienced it too: https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/electric-current-at-the-incisive-papilla/#post-31697

I guess this is the bodys way of telling right from wrong

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2020 2:13 am