Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Suction hold & effortless mewing in sleep  

RSS
ayla mao

I've been mewing for a while now and it has become a habit already so I don't have to remind myself. Nighttime though is a whole different story, most of the time I would wake up with parted lips and my tongue in beetwen my teeth. Meaning I probably lost a good amount of progress I gained during the day.

Anyways to try and combat this I tried practicing the suction/vacuum hold. Do watch Mike's videos on this he explains it well. I did try the suction hold way back when I started mewing but I couldn't get it right so I didn't think too much of it, I though it wasn't as necessary as just pushing your tongue up.

Now I do believe that hard pushing/mewing is beneficial for at least some part of the day, but a proper suction hold is the key for nighttime mewing. I have recently perfected my suction technique and for the last 2 weeks I have woken up every single time with my tongue firmly suctioned to my palate and my lips firmly shut sealed.

And another thing that indicates to me that I am achieving a very strong vacuum is that upon waking up my palate is bruised. The same way your skin is bruised after getting a hickey (love bite). Because a hickey is nothing more than applying suction/vacuum to skin with your lips.

So essentialy I'm now getting 7-8 hours of extra pressure on my maxilla that I didn't have before. I've included a picture of my bruised palate, you can see the part where it's reddish, it does hurt a little but you know how it is. No pain no gain.

Posted : 16/02/2020 5:06 am
Yusu, Loliboly, RamonT and 3 people liked
Azrael
Estimable Member

Wow, this is incredible. I too am in the same shoes as you so I can greatly benefit from this. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2020 7:41 am
Silver
Trusted Member

You can see where the suture has split in the middle. Very nice!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2020 1:24 pm
Robbie343
Trusted Member

I’ve recently mastered the night time suction hold myself. I think once you get that down and it becomes a habit your mouth will begin to stay closed at night. Definite progress.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2020 3:29 pm
PolHolmes
Eminent Member

My problem with the suction hold is that my mouth excretes a lot of saliva, which stops the suction hold from being as strong. Any tips?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2020 4:16 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@polholmes

I had this problem too when starting out. What helped me was learning the tongue sweep: keep the back portion of your tongue suctioned to the palate, but bring down the front of the tongue to gather saliva from the bottom and sides of the mouth. Then, sweep it upwards, and swallow the saliva. It may be difficult at first. I took me probably a few weeks to get a hold on.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2020 5:17 pm
ayla mao

@elwynn

Yes this is what I do too. It kind of feels like my back third stays up and I just mostly use the tip to swallow. And I practiced in front of the mirror to make sure I don't use any other muscles like lips/cheeks and it works perfectly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2020 7:02 am
Elwynn liked
Elwynn
Estimable Member

In regard to sleeping, I've recently realized that the reason why my tongue frequently drops down at night is because I have a habit of rolling over onto my stomach, and then sleeping with my face pressed into the pillow. I'll see if I can solve this by strapping some object to my stomach when heading to bed - that'll hopefully force me to sleep on my side.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2020 10:55 am
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

Mouth taping has completely retrained my default position to be mouth closed, tongue up.  Takes a couple of months but it's extremely effective.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2020 12:11 pm
Sharpjawlinedkurd

@elwynn

Aren't you supposed to keep the tongue stuck to your palate and swallow by pushing against your palate which will trigger a swallowing action? Didn't know you are allowed to bucket the saliva with your tongue into your throat.

(when you swallow your saliva)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2020 9:03 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

Yes, you're supposed to keep your tongue suctioned to the palate when at rest, but how are you going to swallow excess saliva at the bottom of your mouth without moving your tongue at least a little? You're not bucketing the saliva with your tongue down your throat, you're suctioning the saliva upwards and then doing the push-swallow. In all cases, you do the push-swallow. It's just that when you've got excess saliva, you're first directing the saliva to the right spot so that the push-swallow helps you get rid of it.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2020 9:46 pm
LACHRIS

Do you suction hold on the maxilla itself? Or the soft palate 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2020 3:55 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

Hopefully that's just surface damage and you didn't damage the bone, too. On one of my dental forums I follow, there's a guy that extensively studied his CBCT, finding strange tunnels which he believed indicated the presence of some sort of jaw infection. Begged his dentist to do a palatal flip procedure where some tunnels were found, and the dentist identified the presence of what he said was worms. Now this same dentist is said to be finding worms in the palates of many of his clients. Seems that damage such as that from bruxism might be doing more than damage to the teeth alone. Damage to the structures invites infection.

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2020 5:05 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@lachris

I focus on the hard-palate mostly because I'm trying to expand my dental arch, but I'm not neglecting the soft palate either: I suction my tongue to both, the hard and soft palate.

@greensmoothies

Wow, that is bizarre. Do you know what the scientific name for this type of infection was, and what the symptoms are?

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2020 5:21 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member
Posted by: @elwynn

@lachris

I focus on the hard-palate mostly because I'm trying to expand my dental arch, but I'm not neglecting the soft palate either: I suction my tongue to both, the hard and soft palate.

@greensmoothies

Wow, that is bizarre. Do you know what the scientific name for this type of infection was, and what the symptoms are?

Osteomyelitis of the jaw.

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2020 5:27 pm
Elwynn liked
LACHRIS

@elwynn

If my palate gets red/bruised spots is that a good sign?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2020 5:40 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@lachris

Hard to say. I think mild irritation when starting out is acceptable as your soft-tissues adjust to the new posture, but if it doesn't heal, and / or gets worse, causing significant pain, then changing your strategy and maybe getting some help would probably be appropriate.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2020 7:23 pm
LACHRIS

I’ve watched Mike Mews video on the suction hold and he’s able to make a loud clicking noise when he suctions and then releases. I myself cannot make this noise. Suction is hard to maintain for me, but to also hold that position throughout the day is difficult.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2020 9:20 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@lachris

I've tried doing this when starting out, and I couldn't, but after reading your post, I learned that I could do it now. It feels that it's the middle section of the tongue that's primarily responsible for emitting the noise.

Does your tongue fit between your teeth?

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2020 4:01 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

@elwynn

I feel it is back, since in my experience when I unsuction the posterior third (to breathe) it makes this sound.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2020 10:06 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@oatmeal

When I try to rapidly unsuction the posterior third of my tongue, it makes a throat-y noise vaguely similar to gulping. Only the middle-part against the hard palate makes a click.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2020 5:06 pm
ayla mao

@violetgrey6

The process of initiating a suction hold is basically the same as the mona lisa/cheesy smile swallow that Mike has a few videos on.

Basicall put your teeth in light contact and then swallow saliva with your tongue only (practice in front of a mirror, your face should be 100% still) and then just when you swallowed and your tongue is at the top in contact with your palate leave it there.

To test if you have a good suction open your mouth first with your tongue still on the palate and themn quickly remove the tongue from the palate. You should hear some kind of a *pop* noise.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2020 3:02 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @violetgrey6

@robbie343 @ayla-mao would you mind describing how you do the suction hold? My back third doesn't suction but my my front 2/3rds do.... I think the big thing I need now is to learn to mew while sleeping.

You create a vacuum by raising the side of your tongue and lowering the middle part of the tongue. To suction the back of the tongue you need to push your tongue forward and upwards against the front palate, this contracts lower front tongue muscles and allows to lower the middle part of the posterior tongue.

To all confused on suction-hold, this may help :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayUAn2J9INw

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2020 3:12 pm
Loliboly liked
auxiliary
Estimable Member

I feel like suction is required for CCW maxilla rotation, otherwise you're just pushing your whole maxilla upwards. People with good profile have the upper part of their nose very flat pointing downwards and their eyes are a bit deeper in the skull.

It seems that "recessed" maxilla is not detailed enough. The lower maxilla can be recessed, however the upper maxilla seems to be much more forward placed in "recessed" profiles vs normal. Specifically I've noticed that "recessed" faces have nasal bones much more forward relative to the forehead, you'd imagine the opposite if the maxilla was truly "recessed".

Chewing usually causes clockwise maxilla rotation, which pushes the nose forward, men have stronger masticatory muscle and chew more, could explain why their noses are on average less up-tipped.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2020 3:28 pm
Loliboly liked
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@ayla-mao

The separation line that appeared on your maxillary suture looks very similar to the line that recently appeared on my palate, after I started using an expander. It's basically identical; just varies in width a bit.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2020 1:50 am
TheWord

@lachris 

What do you mean by 'suction hold to the maxilla"? How would you do that? THe only things you can hold to are the roof of your mouth no?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2020 11:10 pm
Mike
 Mike

guys I'm kinda new to mewing do you just apply pressure to the hard part, to the soft part or both???

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2020 3:38 pm
Mike
 Mike

@auxiliary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2020 3:39 pm