Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Suction does not rotate the maxilla imo  

RSS

If the tongue tip is for pushing and the back third is for suction, how would that maintain a balanced maxilla angle? It makes no sense to me.

It makes more sense that the posterior third is supposed to exert upwards force, and the suction assists breathing and expansion. People with good tongue posture have better suction, which allows for more natural upwards force when they swallow. 

In terms of physics, if you push up on the palete, it makes more sense to me that you are pushing the teeth down.... like if you place your hand down in a cup of water, the water goes up.

In saying all this, I am assuming that the back/front upper teeth have to move up/down for maxilla rotation to occur....is this true? 

I fail to see how clockwise maxilla rotation could occur, if you are also biting food with your upper front teeth, keeping the incisors up....

The only way pushing at the front and sucking at the back makes sense to me, is if they somehow both move the teeth in the same direction, either up or down. I can't see how this could be the case.

I disagree that people with poor tongue posture develop clockwise maxillas due to a lack of palatoglossus suction.  Their face may become longer, or they may leave their mouth open, causing both dental arches to drop down and back.....which is clockwise rotation YES, but that isn't due to lack of suction. 

People lacking tongue posture can still maintain a good maxilla angle, by simply exerting force a few times a day when they swallow. these people are not sucking their palatoglossus down all day long. 

So given I have a clockwise maxilla with a slight overbite, my current thinking is to create a larger bite force with the front teeth as opposed to the molars...AKA when biting into an apple. Which would force the maxilla to rotate CCW. I assume I can aviod tooth wear by avioding upper and lower teeth contact when I bite. And then make the posterior third more dominant than the tip when I swallow

Posted : 18/11/2019 10:02 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Occlusal plane and rotation doesn't really fit a universal aesthetic pattern. For example a Class 3 usually has a flat occlusal plane and must rotate clockwise to move forward. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2019 12:24 am

@eddiemoney

agreed. but the method of rotation is more or less the same right? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2019 1:47 am
noises
Eminent Member
Posted by: @facegettingworseandworse

If the tongue tip is for pushing and the back third is for suction, how would that maintain a balanced maxilla angle? It makes no sense to me.

It torques the entire cranium forwards and the suboccipital muscles pull it down. There's your balance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2019 5:13 am

@noises

Really appreciate the reaponse. if there is a link that I can read to further understand that would be really helpful

i'll check out your profile for your other posts

thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2019 5:35 am
noises
Eminent Member

It's only a rudimentary theory at this point but you could look up the concept of tensegrity. The skeleton is constantly held together by a tensile equilibrium created by the muscles. When you apply CCW torque to the maxilla, it either pulls the neurocranium upward or rotates the maxilla, depending on which is more stably held in place by musculature. At some point the resistance from each side becomes equally strong and nothing moves.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2019 5:59 am
Share:

Face Development

Please Login or Register