Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Suck-hold is counter-productive?  

RSS
Kex
 Kex
(@kex)

Let's talk about the suck-hold (aka passive mewing). The whole point of mewing, as I see it, is to push up the maxilla with your tongue. When suck-holding, the tongue exerts no force on the maxilla, it simply sticks to it thanks to vacuum. Actually, it's even worse -- when you suck-hold, your tongue is pulling the maxilla down due to gravity.

That's why you should be actively mewing at all times (exerting some force with your tongue to push the maxilla). Doesn't mean you should be hard mewing, the force should be moderate, but it should be more than zero. I call this active mewing (as opposed to the suck-hold, aka passive mewing).

Thoughts?

Posted : 15/05/2019 11:39 am
Ayla31
(@ayla31)
Trusted Member

The suck hold is described by Mike Mew as a mixture of suction/vacuum and a push/force. 

This post was modified 1 week ago by Ayla31
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 3:43 pm
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Ayla31

The suck hold is described by Mike Mew as a mixture of sucking/vacuum and a push/force. 

Exactly. I specifically suction more on the rear palate to pull it down, and push most on alveolar ridge to move that part up for counterclockwise rotation. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 4:11 pm
mr.mewing
(@mr-mewing)
Trusted Member
Posted by: EddieMoney

The suck hold is described by Mike Mew as a mixture of sucking/vacuum and a push/force. 

Exactly. I specifically suction more on the rear palate to pull it down, and push most on alveolar ridge to move that part up for counterclockwise rotation. 

but for people with a narrow a suction hold tongue will push out the molars..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 4:28 pm
elevee
(@elevee)
Trusted Member

For me, a slight suction ensures that the whole tongue makes contact with the palate. If I think "push" than I find I'm only using the parts of the tongue that are already active and responsive--I don't get the posterior third, or the lazy, less woke areas along the edges. Michale Chatham, whose photos are famous in orthotropics, said that she uses a slight suction hold when she dropped in here one time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 4:31 pm
Kex
 Kex
(@kex)

The suck hold is described by Mike Mew as a mixture of suction/vacuum and a push/force. 

Then what's the point of vacuum at all? It's like a by-product of pushing. This should be made more clear. You MUST be pushing.

Posted by: EddieMoney

Are you sure in what you are doing? You are basically pushing with the tip of your tongue, which is not recommended at all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 5:00 pm
Ayla31
(@ayla31)
Trusted Member
Posted by: Kex

Then what's the point of vacuum at all? It's like a by-product of pushing. This should be made more clear. You MUST be pushing.

Please take into account that we swallow hundred of times a day. Swallowing is a push per se, and Mike shows how to attain a suction hold by swallowing as well. I think, when you have the suction hold, you can micro-swallow constantly...there is this suction that appears when the tongue is plastered on the roof of the mouth, which helps bring the saliva into the throat, and the tongue is also active, ready to swallow/push how many times it needs. 

So, my feeling is that this vacuum assists breathing and swallowing. 

Put the palm of your hand while doing the suction hold "exercise" and see how you feel the forces on your face. If your experience is similar to mine, you will feel outward pressure on your hand.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 5:29 pm
Rabies4U
(@rabies4u)

You

From what I can see you are trying to leverage the maxilla upward. 

I think  to do this you should cinch down with the palatoglossus muscle highlighted in green.    This will cause a lever arm system .  

Notice the palatoglossus muscle is connected to the soft palate, and  hard palate respectively. The contraction of this muscle is impossible unless the posterior third of the common constipation of the tongue is in contact with the roof of the mouth.  Once the this muscle is cinched down the tongue acts as a pivot point and the hard palate acts as a lever arm with palatoglossus muscle providing force to give the whole system torque, and drive the maxilla up.    A suck-hold will just give a  mechanism to insure a consistent pivot point is there for the system to work.

This post was modified 1 week ago by Rabies4U
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 7:32 pm
Rabies4U
(@rabies4u)

If we wanted we could probably do some math to find out torque and optimal tongue position.  But Im being lazy.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll write a 6-12 pg research paper, on it.

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by Rabies4U
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 7:54 pm
elevee
(@elevee)
Trusted Member

I want to know. I expect your paper by Monday at noon. 🙂

So what you're saying is that all the upward push won't be very effective if the soft palate is not engaged with some sort of pressure seal? I agree with Ayla that some degree of suction does seem to aid with a good strong push swallow, kind of keeping it in place and ready for a correct swallow...in fact I'm not sure if I can do a push swallow without it.

Incredibly informative post, @greensmoothies. Thanks so much for the resources. An embarrassment of riches!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 9:59 pm
Rabies4U
(@rabies4u)

Lol it's gonna take a little longer then that, but Ill start work on it.

And yes, the upward push probably wont be very effective without the seal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2019 11:52 pm
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Kex

Let's talk about the suck-hold (aka passive mewing). The whole point of mewing, as I see it, is to push up the maxilla with your tongue. When suck-holding, the tongue exerts no force on the maxilla, it simply sticks to it thanks to vacuum. Actually, it's even worse -- when you suck-hold, your tongue is pulling the maxilla down due to gravity.

That's why you should be actively mewing at all times (exerting some force with your tongue to push the maxilla). Doesn't mean you should be hard mewing, the force should be moderate, but it should be more than zero. I call this active mewing (as opposed to the suck-hold, aka passive mewing).

Thoughts?

The "mewing" concept as Dr. John Mew first introduced it was to help children guide growth. Mike Mew took it into the adult realm and claimed it can cause change including moving the face up and forward. 

Correct tongue posturing requires gently pushing the tip of your tongue up and forward and then suctioning the posterior part up and back. Ideally this effort become subconscious and requires no attention.

Some people have their tongue too low in their throat and thus they can't posture it fully as described above. They either can posture the front or the back so they came up with inventive ways and theories around this.

The solution in this case is to work on strengthening the tongue independently of any other facial muscles and to correct the head and neck posture. Over time this will allow for correct tongue posture. Also some can benefit from a little widening of the upper arch. You can't really practice much tongue posturing if your inter molar width is 31mm for example.

Posted by: elevee

Michale Chatham, whose photos are famous in orthotropics, said that she uses a slight suction hold when she dropped in here one time.

Which pictures are you referring to?

This post was modified 1 week ago 3 times by Abdulrahman

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2019 4:03 am
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

its simple man do a cheesy swallow a few times and just hold it as tight as you can until it blocks your breathing thats its honestly it shouldnt get more complicated than that

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2019 4:35 am
elevee
(@elevee)
Trusted Member

@Abdulrahman, it's this woman.

Image result for migraine myofunctional therapy

She popped into the success stories from around the web thread when someone posted her photos there, to claim her story and offer some feedback. She's now a myofunctional therapist in the midwest and has some really great content on her site, including a lengthy article about her own treatment. The medical journal presentation of her case study used to be available but I haven't seen it in a while. Michalechatham.com.

This post was modified 1 week ago by elevee
ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2019 10:34 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register