Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Stopped wearing retainer, lower teeth getting crooked

bigapollo

I stopped wearing my retainer a month ago. My upper teeth look great but my front lower teeth have been getting slightly crowded. I can't tell if I'm mewing well or not well enough.

When I put my teeth together with my tongue on the roof of the mouth, I can almost feel my upper teeth pushing my lower teeth towards the front of my lower jaw. Any thoughts? I can't decide if continue not using my retainer or if I begin using it again.

Topic starter Posted : 30/05/2018 3:09 am
Couda
Eminent Member

What kind of retainer was it? permanent wire or plastic?

Did you have crowding in lower teeth prior to braces?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2018 7:56 am
bigapollo

it's a hawley retainer. I can't remember for sure if I had crowding, but I'm think I did because I had lower teeth braces as well as upper teeth braces for a few years.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/05/2018 7:54 pm
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

If your teeth are crowding then you do not have the muscle posture /  strength to support your dental arch. Put the retainer back, only take it out for more than an hour if it is while training correct oral posture. Definitely keep it in at night

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 9:06 am
Apollo
Reputable Member
Posted by: TGW

If your teeth are crowding then you do not have the muscle posture /  strength to support your dental arch. Put the retainer back, only take it out for more than an hour if it is while training correct oral posture. Definitely keep it in at night

If your teeth have shifted significantly, it might be inadvisable to force the old retainer back on. But I agree, if it still fits, I would go back to using it, at least for now. Do you have a top and bottom retainer? When I finished braces, my orthodontist had me using a hawley retainer on top and an essix retainer for only the anteiror teeth on the bottom. Here's a good thread about phasing out retainers:

https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/retainer-needed/#

Basically Mew recommends essix retainers that don't occupy tongue space, then phasing them out to only permanent retainers bonded to the anterior teeth and monitoring your intermolar width to make sure your tongue posture is adequate to avoid narrowing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 7:09 pm