Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Something strange about SARPE  

RSS
ani3000
Eminent Member

I was looking at before and after results of SARPE on google and I have to say I do not see much improvement in the after photo, in the before photo the face is narrow and long and in the after photo the face is still narrow and long and sometimes the chin is huge. Can someone explain?

Posted : 12/11/2018 6:47 pm
Topic Tags
ani3000
Eminent Member
Posted by: ani3000

I was looking at before and after results of SARPE on google and I have to say I do not see much improvement in the after photo, in the before photo the face is narrow and long and in the after photo the face is still narrow and long and sometimes the chin is huge. Can someone explain?

I thought widening the palate mean't widening the face

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2018 7:18 pm
RedFountain

I've had SARPE surgery around 9 months back, before I found out about this place. My expansion was roughly 9mm, and the changes in my face have been substantial. My midface around the base of the nose looks fuller (more healthy) and my cheeks have been pushed out to the sides. It's slightly feminizing though, but I still consider it an improvement.

Not sure what exactly makes it look somewhat feminine, I guess it's the fact that the extra width is further back (below the temples, in front of the ears, so the zygomatic arch I guess) rather than the bony prominence more in the front of the face (below the corner of the eye)

The expansion device was removed 3 months ago, and my IMW has since all but relapsed :(, I believe in part due to the orthodontics. Everytime I get back from the orthos office, I have more trouble fitting my tongue in between my molars (new wire, extra elastics, etc). Fortunately, a very decent amount of facial improvements have remained for now, although I'm not sure have long that will last. 

Let this be a warning: jaw surgery + orthodontics is mostly a scam. Save your money and energy, unless you're severely deformed or have severe sleep apnea.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 3:58 am
Nomis

I wonder if without the orthodontics it would have still relapsed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 4:10 am
RedFountain

Yeah, so do I. I can only guess, but I do find it odd that placing the tongue in the proper position got incrementally harder each time the orthodontist increased traction on the teeth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 4:36 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: RedFountain

Yeah, so do I. I can only guess, but I do find it odd that placing the tongue in the proper position got incrementally harder each time the orthodontist increased traction on the teeth.

I think that's because he is closing the gaps between the teeth by pulling the teeth inward together, which completely defeats the purpose of the procedure.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 4:53 am
RedFountain

Yup, I think you hit the nail on its head. I also realized this morning that it is becoming harder for me to actually bite together without consciously pulling my lower jaw backwards. I can't mew with my teeth touching, either.. Obvious signs that my upper teeth are being pulled inwards.. 

Such incredible quackery

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 6:32 am
Nomis

Before the braces did you have gaps between your teeth or?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 11:53 am
ani3000
Eminent Member

I think that the expander should stay in your palate at least six months for the new bone to solidify and to prevent a relapse. I plan on getting a MSE expander otherwise known as MARPE , this is not surgical palatal expansion, and will be having the expander left in my palate for at least 6 months, this will allow the bone to solidify, I am not sure if I will even be having braces but if I do have braces they will be the ones to broaden the arch not tighten as I am trying to reverse the damage from the extraction braces I have had in the past. Yes I agree with your views about the surgery the relapse and braces must be the reason many SARPE patients still look the same after instead of having a wider much better looking face.

Why don't you look into MARPE and this time make sure you keep the expander 6 months atleast to avoid relapse 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 12:53 pm
ani3000
Eminent Member

seriously those orthodontist are stupid for doing that, the whole point of SARPE is a wider arch not a smaller arch,how those orthos/surgeons can not know this is beyond me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2018 12:55 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

DOME looks pretty good and is less invasive than SARPE.  Stanford Sleep Centre.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/12/2018 7:14 pm
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

Threat of relapse is why I'm having trouble with the idea of shelling out multiple thousands of dollars for any of these treatments, including jaw surgery.  I mean if they did a deal where you got "guaranteed no relapse or your money back" then I'd be a lot more eager....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/12/2018 7:47 pm