Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Solution for asymmetry in smile and palate/arch?  

RSS
Azrael
Estimable Member

This is my first post in here (I am not sure if I attached the two pictures properly) and as seen in the the pics I have asymmetries in my smile and palate from my braces treatment a year or two ago.

My right jaw/mandible (left side in the pics) is also weaker than my left as a result of exclusively chewing on my left side my whole life. I have been trying to correct it by chewing on my weaker side exclusively to balance them out.

My question is this — should I apply equal tongue pressure on the palate or in a way to correct the asymmetry? I am asking because I am only one month into mewing and I have seen most people progress with mewing with the original asymmetries intact and I would correct it if I could this early in the process.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Posted : 18/02/2020 3:56 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

I have this as well but my maxilla is arched to the right you can clearly see this if I bite down 

this comes from muscle inbalance by the way and that can be in whole the body 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2020 4:19 am
Azrael
Estimable Member

Has mewing or a related technique helped you in reducing or correcting it?

As for me, I have no asymmetries anywhere else in my body. I have some postural issues that I'm working on and they're pretty fixable so nothing major.

My gonial angle in my right side is also greater than my left and the difference of the ramus length is a contributing factor as I used to chew only on my left.

Mike hasn't dwelved deep into asymmetry according to him, as it's very complicated and that's why I decided to ask for opinions here as I've been observing the quality of discussions here for some time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2020 7:26 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@azrael

in my case, I have really tight trapezius muscle's and in i had some hip issues but the hip issues are fixed now in the past my left foot was bent inwards but that's also fixed

so my issue is that i only feel my right masseter while chewing also when i chew on the left side that's why i feel TMD pain on the right side 

my jaw is arched to the right

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2020 9:17 am