Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Slow vs Rapid Maxilla Expansion and potential comments on treatment  

RSS
Jaysan
(@jaysan)

Some background information, I am turning 20 in 2020 and am no longer a child by any means, but have many symptoms of craniofacial dystrophy that I would like to potentially correct, i have symptoms such as: narrow upper jaw (39-40mm last time i measured), lower teeth tipping slightly inward to meet my upper teeth, gummy smile, narrow face, complete lack of cheekbones, large antigonial notch, etc etc. 

So for the last few months I have been calling around and finding potential forms of treatment from orthodontists in the area and here is what I've been offered

- Invisalign/Traditional braces - as my bite is not too bad, and 'you can widen your arch with traditional orthodontics' according to the ortho but i am aiming for true skeletal expansion rather than just arch expansion 

- Rapid maxillary expansion / slow maxillary expansion - different orthos have recommended differently, and I am unsure of the pros and cons of each seeing as though I am looking for the maximum amount of potential skeletal expansion and CCW rotation of maxilla and related complexes and a general compression of the mid face. May potentially combine with FM, but unsure if ortho will go through with this. 

- Epigenetic orthodontics (DNA) - not too sure about this once, seems dodgy to me HAHAHA 

* no other forms of treatment have been found thus far as described here, i.e. alf, mse, etc. 

What would my best course of action be for now? to get some expansion and CCW rotation with possible maxillary protraction, even with an intermolar width of 39 I am unable to comfortably fit my tongue against the palate for more than a few minutes. 

Thank you heaps, if treatment does indeed start, will keep a record of everthing. 

Cheers!

Posted : 15/05/2019 3:18 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register