NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Sleeping position  

RSS
Joey
 Joey

What sleeping position is the best for expanding the maxilla?

Posted : 22/07/2018 11:18 am
gubbbbb
Eminent Member

probably sleeping on your back cause it's the most symmetrical but it's easier said than done

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2018 1:35 am
SweetLucifer

Yes it is the back, that is how our ancestors slept. After 2 months I'm still struggling trying to fall asleep on my back, 15 years of poor sleeping habits is a nightmare to break. It's also the most healthy so I'd recommend it to everyone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2018 7:02 am
ImperialMajesty
Eminent Member

Sleep on the side, it is most ideal.  Sleeping on the back and front makes it very difficult to maintain a closed mouth posture.  John Mew also recommends sleeping on the side.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2018 1:44 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

This all depends on your current posture and airway. If you haven't mastered maintaining correct oral posture during sleep, and/or if you have any degree of forward head posture, then sleeping on your back is likely to cause your head to fall back, your mouth to fall open, and your tongue to fall into your pharynx. In these cases it's better to sleep on your side and keep practicing until you consistently wake up with your tongue in position. However, if you aren't kyphotic and don't have snoring/restrictive airway issues, then you might be ready to graduate to sleeping on your back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2018 3:25 pm
Rockyp33 liked
Le_Fort_or_Bust
Trusted Member
Posted by: peterparker

Sleep on the side, it is most ideal.  Sleeping on the back and front makes it very difficult to maintain a closed mouth posture.  John Mew also recommends sleeping on the side.

Isn't your face more inclined to grow forward if you sleep on your back?

Also, doesn't taping mouth shut at night help to maintain it shut?

Of course even with tape, jaws will still open and teeth won't clench, but you won't be mouth-breathing and lips will be sealed, despite teeth parting.

30 yo, need to expand palate, move maxilla upward and forward, reduce gonial angle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2018 6:58 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member
Posted by: Le_Fort_or_Bust
Posted by: peterparker

Isn't your face more inclined to grow forward if you sleep on your back?

Also, doesn't taping mouth shut at night help to maintain it shut?

Of course even with tape, jaws will still open and teeth won't clench, but you won't be mouth-breathing and lips will be sealed, despite teeth parting.

I find mouth taping to be helpful regardless of position, but, even with my mouth taped, I still occasionally wake up with some airway resistance when I am on my back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2018 10:04 pm
Dominik liked
Dominik
Trusted Member

Originally I had in mind to sleep in a chin tuck position on my back... but it takes ages to fall asleep (took me 3 hours once FML) and my jaws come apart in my sleep due to gravity.

😆 but then I discovered how humans naturally sleep in cold and wet climates on the road, a position which closes the mouth through gravity and stops you from snoring:

"When sleeping in the open in very cold climates and when the ground is wet, humans often resort to sleeping on their shins, like the Tibetan caravaneers photographed by Peter, Prince of Greece and Denmark, in 1938 (fig ​(fig3).3). Nature has not covered the anterior border of the tibia and the medial border of the ulna with muscle, so in this position there is only skin and bone in contact with the cold ground and heat loss is reduced. The body is also folded to conserve heat; both ears can listen for danger, be it lion or terrorist; and when the head is down gravity shuts the mouth and it is impossible to snore."

Lol I fell asleep in 5 mins after adopting this position. I was hopping mad after hours of staring at the sealing...

I have pictures of me as a kid doing this in bed and babies do this too....

Oddly you kinda go into chin-tuck position due to gravity sleeping like this if you do not plant your face on the ground..... e_e [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated]

@Le_Fort_or_Bust idk, on your back gravity in basically puling the maxilla down and back, also in my experience its pulling the mandible down so when my face relaxes my jaws come apart if I'm on my back. Initially didn't notice cus I tape my mouth shut.

The shin position is similar to that back stretch, a more comfortable version of it, your [Rude Language will not be tolerated] relaxing on your feet/heels.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2018 1:06 am
Dominik
Trusted Member
Posted by: SweetLucifer

Yes it is the back, that is how our ancestors slept. After 2 months I'm still struggling trying to fall asleep on my back, 15 years of poor sleeping habits is a nightmare to break. It's also the most healthy so I'd recommend it to everyone.

You probably will continue struggle to fall asleep like I do on your back. Very few ppl can sleep on their backs, statistically 8%. Instinctively if you remove bed, pillows and covers ppl adopt a fetal position on the left side as it is most comfortable and ok for circulation. If you then add cold weather, ppl instinctively sleep on their shins to preserve body heat, see above. (another variation of the fetal position)

Its easy to fall asleep in either position. I sometimes stayed awake up to 3 hours trying to sleep on my back for the past month and fell asleep as soon as I gave up and went into fetal or shin position.

The shin position stretches your back and puts you into chin-tuck position with maxilla and mandible being puled together by gravity (it pulls maxilla up and forward and mandible down on it), so it shuts your jaws for you. It also makes mewing in your sleep easier, same reason: gravity.

The downside 😥 no spooning like this if you have a spouse. 🤣 also funny

XD btw did you know sleeping on your back leaves you open to facehugger attacks?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2018 2:25 am
Rockyp33 liked
Banknote
Eminent Member

I start sleeping on my back, in the middle of the night I notice that I'm on my side, it's the most comfortable position for me, when I sleep during the day (after lunch), for example, I can easily fall asleep on my back

English is not my native language.

A lei do esforço nunca falha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2018 10:24 am
Yegor_L
Eminent Member

I stack up two pillows and sleep on my back, so even as I'm sleeping, I'm in  constant state of  chin tucking.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2018 10:45 am
Farrusco

So we all agree that sleeping on your back is great, however, is it better to sleep with pillows or without?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2019 7:04 pm
mateogon

What I've learned has a Video talking about the best sleeping position. In 10:38, he says sleeping on the side is the most common amongst all animals, and it is the most efficient position to clear the metabolic waste of the brain.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2019 10:58 am
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

very interesting @dominik

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2019 10:23 pm