Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Sleeping on side/stomach hindering progress?  

RSS
gm993

Does sleeping with the side of your face on the surface of the pillow provide enough force to push the maxilla back far enough to hinder progress made throughout the day?  If one is mewing (lightly) at night, I wonder if the tongue would provide enough force to counteract the weight of the head onto a pillow surface.  

Posted : 15/05/2018 8:00 am
Progress
Member Moderator

Jamo, who has had some of the greatest improvement so far, spoke of sleeping on his stomach. The position itself matters less, what is more important is whether or not you are able to maintain tongue posture in your position of choice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2018 8:27 am
noach

I’ve heard a lot of people with great improvements sleep with a McKenzie chin tuck, how exactly do you do that when sleeping?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2018 8:43 am
krollic
Reputable Member

on your back with a couple of pillows pushing you into the tuck position behind your head

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2018 9:18 am
Odys liked
Banknote
Eminent Member

What about sleeping without a pillow?

A lei do esforço nunca falha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2018 11:38 am
noach
Posted by: krollic

on your back with a couple of pillows pushing you into the tuck position behind your head

Wouldn’t that be bad for your neck, since it isn’t in the spine’s neutral position?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2018 5:51 pm
Skull
Trusted Member

I'm not so sure whether it affects the jaw and maxilla but knowing about all this stuff and how our habits mold our face I would not be surprised that pressing your face all night long hinders your progress.

That being said, there is other things you should know regarding sleep position. The  best position to sleep for your spine and overall health is over your back without a pillow. I've also read somewhere that sleeping on your sides can even narrow your shoulders and frame. Have you seen people with rounded and narrow upper frame ? It might be one reason, I don't know.. all I know is that our habits mold us, quite literally.

Here are some videos about pillowless sleep and sleeping positions

https://youtu.be/OTktJvum7cs

https://youtu.be/FcviFR1CUfg   

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 2:41 am
krollic
Reputable Member

I don't use the pillow to support my neck. I use it at the very back of my head to force me to maintain the mckenzie positon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 6:42 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Even if the side you are sleeping on is being pushed in, the other side is being pulled down by gravity. So I think the net effect is nothing happening. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2018 7:10 pm
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member
Posted by: krollic

I don't use the pillow to support my neck. I use it at the very back of my head to force me to maintain the mckenzie positon

That's a smart move, yeah

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2019 10:05 am
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Ideally, I want to sleep on my back with a pillow supporting my jaw by putting the pillow length ways on my tummy hugging it, arms crossed like a mummy. I do have a hunch that my muscles aren't strong enough to normally keep them together. That's bad, I should work on that, like the same way a baby needs to have enough neck strength to support their head. If you have poor circulation your arms may feel weird in the morning.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2019 1:56 am
Sailor87
Eminent Member
Posted by: EddieMoney

Even if the side you are sleeping on is being pushed in, the other side is being pulled down by gravity. So I think the net effect is nothing happening. 

The net effect would be a more narrow face theoretically.

Unfortunately I find it very difficult to sleep on my back. For what its worth ive been able to increase inter molar width pretty well while sleeping on the side. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2019 4:47 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

I have been sleeping on my side for as long as I can remember. And that may be why there's an asymmetry of my cheekbones. I sleep on my right side more than I do on my left. Or it could be from me pushing up the left side of my face(left cheekbone is the wider one). I'm not sure how this increases IMV. Can you please share your opinion on how it does?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2019 6:57 pm
jimbobape

Sleeping on my back without a pillow has been the single most effective thing to achieving better bodily posture and facial structure

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2019 1:39 am
Community Lurker

@jimbobape

Just finally achieved it properly last night. Huge difference in palate soreness this morning. Holy [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated]. Even my nose seems to be less stuffy than normal

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2019 1:19 am