Forum

Please Note: The Users of this site are not engaged in rendering professional advice or services to the individual reader. The ideas, procedures, and suggestions contained within this work are not intended as a substitute for examination by your medical practitioner.

Sinus Issues -- Advice  

RSS
universeonwheels
(@universeonwheels)

Hello,

I am new to mewing and myofunctional development and whatnot. I have severe sinus issues which have delegated me as a candidate for septoplasty and turbinate reduction. I have enormous waxing and waning difficulty breathing as well as oscillating pressure in my face. My doc said my airways are smaller than normal as well. Do you think I should go through with the surgery, or do you think proper craniofacial posture will cure my maladies?  I am almost 18 years old. Do you think getting the surgeries whilst having the cognizance that I will proceed in the facilitation of proper craniofacial posture will harm me? Should I just go ahead and get the surgeries? My sinus issues have and are really fucking up my life, but I'm worried about fucking it up in other domains as a result of my surgery if it's unnecessary in the context of further myofacial postural development. Thanks for your advice.

This topic was modified 2 months  ago by universeonwheels
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 2:04 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Estimable Member

The turbinates reduction is not really a surgery it's more like a procedure. It does not require more than local anesthesia and its called somnoplasty. It uses microwaves to zap the turbinates down in size. I think your doctor is planning to do it along with the septoplasty which requires general anesthesia. My doctor recommended doing both but I opted for somnoplasty only and got great results from it. I don't think any of them will effect your mewing negatively. To the contrary I think having an open nose is imperative to mewing successfully, as the mouth needs to be closed all the time you are not eating and talking. With clogged nostrils that's not possible. 

name changed from abdul to Abdulrahman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 2:53 am
xDJ
 xDJ
(@xdj)

Some may benefit from turbinate reduction but it has the potential to cause serious damage.

Please read:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/joeloliphint/is-empty-nose-syndrome-real-and-if-not-why-are-people-killin

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/EmptyNose/comments/46ispk/new_ens_victim/#ampf=undefined

This post was modified 2 months  ago 2 times by xDJ
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 3:49 am
Odys
 Odys
(@odys)

You could just put the medical treatment on hold for a year and give Mewing a try. It is presumably not a vanishing opportunity and would still work as well then as it will now. It was not one of the reasons I started Mewing and so I was not eagerly looking for results, but they are hard to miss. My airways have opened significantly. Where before nasal breathing took concerted muscular effort (my body heaving) for a small, warm and inadequate result, it is now easy, cool and sufficient. Breathing is now delicious and makes me feel powerful not weak. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 5:15 am test151515 liked
universeonwheels
(@universeonwheels)

I'm aware of empty nose syndrome, but I really don't have any other options as far as I'm concerned. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 1:32 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Estimable Member

proper tongue posture should open up ur sinuses pretty fast

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 3:15 pm
universeonwheels
(@universeonwheels)

I've had proper tongue posture for at least a week now for probably 45% of each cycle of 24 hours, but I have noticed little improvement in breathing. Is this sufficient time for noticeable changes?

This post was modified 2 months  ago 2 times by universeonwheels
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 10:39 pm
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Estimable Member
Posted by: universeonwheels

I've had proper tongue posture for at least a week now for probably 45% of each cycle of 24 hours, but I have noticed little improvement in breathing. Is this sufficient time for noticeable changes?

Mewing takes a long time before it can improve your nasal passages. It does that by expanding the upper jaw which makes part of your nose. By expending the bones you expand the nasal passages so breathing problems are reduced. Also mewing tend to reduce asymmetries so that if you have a deviated septum in theory it can correct. Claiming power talks about his experience where expansion using the biobloc 3 appliance helped him open the congestion in one of his nostrils.

You however seem to have a problem with your turbinates as well. An enlarged turbinate can't change with mewing. You either have to take antihistamine or antibiotics to reduce it's size. When it's size is so large and it's not responding well to drugs doctors prescribe somonoplasty where it's zapped with microwaves to shrink in size.

Some of the procedures mentioned in the linked article above sound extreme. I never heard of anyone surgically removing part of the turbinates or all of them as part of their somonoplasty. It's just an outdated and dangerous procedure compared to what doctors preform today. Though it does not hurt to explore that subject with your doctor.     

One last point you really can't mew with your mouth open. There are many reasons for this, chief among them is that your tongue can't reach and stay on your hard palate when your mouth is open.

This post was modified 2 months  ago 2 times by Abdulrahman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2018 12:47 am
universeonwheels
(@universeonwheels)

Thank you. I've decided I'm most likely going to skip septoplasty and do it in my 20's along with a rhinoplasty if need be (assuming my nose appearance does not improve)--doing only a somnoplasty in the present as well as looking for an epigenetic orthodontist. 

This post was modified 2 months  ago by universeonwheels
ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2018 1:34 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Estimable Member

Best wishes, but ask your doctor about the severity of your septum deviation. If it's sever you might not see an improvement from doing somonoplasty alone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2018 2:11 am universeonwheels liked
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register