Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Side Effects of Mewing?  

RSS
seascapewaves

I’ve only been attempting mewing for 2 days now. I do not know if I am doing it correclty so this might be the cause of my problem. When I am mewing I am able to breathe and swallow fine and I have been practicing Dr. Mews exercises. I keep my lips closed and my teeth in slight contact which can get uncomfortable since I have a slight overbite. Nonetheless, my teeth have been feeling very sore and it makes eating and talking an awkward experience. I feel like I am using a brand new set of teeth for the first time if that makes sense. Is this normal? I haven’t seen anything discussed about it anywhere nor any similar experiences. Am I mewing for too long? Is it a constant posture that I should maintain 24/7 or should I only mew for a certain amount each day? Any help and suggestions would greatly be appreciated! 

Posted : 23/05/2018 3:52 am
Achilles1
Trusted Member

yes this is normal, just make sure you are balancing the pressure between the tongue and jaw. Mike Mew speaks about a "butterfly bite" with the teeth, where they are just barely in contact. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2018 11:22 pm
Skull
Trusted Member

Only upper teeth or lower teeth too? When I started mewing my upper teeth hurted a lot but because of my tongue constantly pushing the teeth, some of them even got temporarily loose. Another side effect I had was that my inner palate felt numb for many days but don't worry this is not dangerous. Now if your lower teeth hurt also maybe you are clenching which is counterproductive

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2018 4:12 pm
seascapewaves

Its been a couple days now and the sore feeling is subsiding. Both the upper and lower teeth felt this way but more so my upper teeth. I believe I was resting my tounge too close to my teeth so I moved it back a little. Sometimes my teeth felt “loose.” Is that normal as well? You metioned that some of your teeth were “temporarily loose.” Did they revert back to normal? In the end, I have a tough time even bringing my teeth togethe in slight contact. So I would avoid doing it which is bad, but its hard to keep them in slight contact. Any help on this? Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/05/2018 2:31 pm
seascapewaves
Posted by: Achilles1

yes this is normal, just make sure you are balancing the pressure between the tongue and jaw. Mike Mew speaks about a "butterfly bite" with the teeth, where they are just barely in contact. 

What is a “butterfly bite”? I am having trouble keeping my teeth in slight contact. Sometimes I find it hard using the right amount of contact/ pressure. How can I find the middle ground? Also I am afraid I am pushing my teeth and causing permanent damage such as an even deeper deep bite and loose teeth. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/05/2018 2:34 pm
Sakithesizzler

Hey I've been doing mewing for like 2 days and i have the same symptoms...should i go on like this or just give up..

Would love a response..

Have a Great Day!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2019 12:44 pm
Community Lurker

Numbness or soreness in the upper palate (especially when hard mewing) was something i struggled with too in the beginning. Luckily i didn't/don't usually feel much in my teeth as i try to change the tongue in a different more favourable position if i notice my teeth hurting since i assume i'm otherwise pushing on the teeth which is not a good thing (don't ask me why though cause i'm not sure anymore as to why, thought it was teeth tipping but at the same time i have this vague memory of reading somewhere that mewing cannot achieve teeth tipping because the tongue is too weak? unsure). Although there's one exception where i'd notice a strange pressure in my lower teeth like i was fighting against my lower fixed retainers, this only happened for like 1 or 2 days about 2 months in and then never felt it again, weird. The palate numbness/soreness goes away over time. I can hardmew all day now without feeling like i just demolished the soft tissue of my upper palate at the end of the day (which occasionally resulted in me having to soft mew the next 1 or 2 days in order for my upper palate to recuperate). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2019 5:52 am
Community Lurker
Posted by: seascapewaves

Its been a couple days now and the sore feeling is subsiding. Both the upper and lower teeth felt this way but more so my upper teeth. I believe I was resting my tounge too close to my teeth so I moved it back a little. Sometimes my teeth felt “loose.” Is that normal as well? You metioned that some of your teeth were “temporarily loose.” Did they revert back to normal? In the end, I have a tough time even bringing my teeth togethe in slight contact. So I would avoid doing it which is bad, but its hard to keep them in slight contact. Any help on this? Thank you.

Are your masseters very weak by chance? Considering these are the muscles that keep your jaw closed. If they are i'd recommend strenghtening them by either doing the whole gum chewing thing or (what in my personal experience also already seemed to have strenghtend them) by eating more apples, or just more hard foods in general.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2019 5:56 am